Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I'm tired of running a 50ft HDMI from my PC to my TV. I need some ideas on how to get 1080p high quality video from my PC to my 55 inch plasma in the other room. I'm obviously willing to spend some money here so any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An interesting little gadget... I might just put a basic HTPC together for that price though. Anyone else have any thoughts?

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mms60r View Post

Just my 2 cents but I use a Google Chromecast with my TV and use the Chrome browser on my PC to cast to it.
Can Chromecast display my desktop and VLC movies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by doco View Post

look into intel WIDI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUN8rbhfShg

adapter for intel widi for your tv

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Push2TV-Wireless-Miracast-Certified/dp/B00904JILO/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

make sure your hardware is compatible with widi. it should be since you have a i7-4770k from your sig.

Intel® Wireless Display Yes
http://ark.intel.com/products/75123
Awesome, I'll have a look into it now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Anymore thoughts on achieving this?

Like the OP i'm tired of the hdmi cable route and would like to go wireless. First a bit of background: i take my laptop with me to client meetings where i hook into their screens via hdmi and flip through my hard drive folders, ms word, ms excel, locally stored pictures, online content via chrome, autocad, sketchup 3d models flying around the homes i'm designing for them, etc... i also then use the same laptop at home (also via hdmi cable) as it has a bluray player and then i can surf the net, netflix, pandora, hulu, youtube, ted, pbs, yada yada yada.

i bought a chromecast and just tried it out, in their beta mode that has experimental "full screen cast" capability and while it did cast my full laptop screen and anything i had on it to my tv it was WAYYY laggy. like two full seconds between what i would do on my laptop before it showed up on my tv. that's a total no-go then for walking clients through all that material from various programs and sources. hdmi of course is instantaneous. so i'm returning the chromecast disappointed and am just about to give up for now this dream of wireless mirroring until things get figure out better for all i'm asking this stuff to do.

just fyi, i'm using the following gear:
sony vaio laptop, i7 processor 1.6 ghz, nvidia geforce gt 330m
samsung 40" led (not a 'smart tv' model)

my wife also has a kickass little samsung series 9 laptop and we both have samsung galaxy s4 phones that i also would love to be able to wirelessly stream everything from to the same 40" tv, without having to do the cord shuffle

i'm sitting like 6' from my router/modem for the wifi and internet connection, direct line of sight (it sits right under the tv)

i looked up if i'm widi compatible and i am not

btw, the specs detailed below for my htpc are not the same machine as the laptop i'm referring to here. that $%$# machine has crapped out, not sure if its the mother board, processor or something else but i'm too mad at it to look into it any further at the moment ;-p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts