Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ill Give you all a story as to why I need To build yet another Computer.

About Me.

My name is James, Im 17, 18 in a few weeks, My Computer Knowlage is somewhat Lacking and so is my Gramma Skills, Hehe.
Believe it or not I enjoy Technology but it goes so fast i Cant really Keep up with it all.

The Story.

Some of you may have Heard about a Game called Darkfall online, From what I could See the Graphics were no more challanging to my Computer than World of warcraft But boy was I wrong, After getting hold of my friends account I couldnt Play on my laptop Due to The Graphics Card not being Compatible, So I decided to build a Brand new computer.

Why havent I already? Well I have, I built it up and Had a week in the game, While the gaming servers were down I overclocked The CPU to 12.5% up to 2.95Ghz (Amd athlon 64 x2 5000+) This was running well, 41 Idle and 52 Under load, Never the less I went to install Yet another Fan to my Computer, While Doing this I believe I gave the GPU an Eletrical Shock and when I turned the computer on the GPU caught Fire, Not happy I returned The XFX Gaming Bundle back to the computer shop and Got a refund.

My Situation.

Now then, im moving to canada to live in Exactly 39 Days And im Estimating ill have around $1400 Canadian Dollars in total when I move over. Im Setting Aside $800 On this computer (may'b a little more) But As I said I have limited Computer Knowlage and Really have no idea about Componant Compatability.

What Im looking for.

These are the Minimum Specs I Require :

Atleast 2.5Ghz Processor [I prefere AMD] (Easy overclockable, my other build had a Oc option in Bios called Just w00t! )
Nvidia Geforce 9800 or better. ( i dont mind going to ATI if i have to)
A mobo to support these.
6+ sata ports
Capability of Holding atleast 8GB ram.
Also any Fans I should look into :

I have a wierd obsesion with keeping systems "cold" anything over 50C and i panic like a 18 year old who's girlfriend hasnt started her period after 2 months. So Nice fans is good, Also is there any way to get more space in my case to put Fans Eg. Drill holes into it and make new Slots
What I already have.

Jet Turbine ATX PC Case : http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48124

Dvd Driver
250GB WD hard drive
PSU (willing to upgrade.)

How can you help

Well If you could help me With componants that Go together, With links as to Where I can buy them and at what price id be Greatfull.

NOTE:I am able to get into America Easily (my dads a Lorry driver over there) Also I love Branded Items such as Gigabit, XFX, BFG.
Also looks of these parts are important to me. a nice looking mobo with heatsinks are cool

EDIT

Is this any good

Because I want this system for gaming I was wondering if the following will be a Good Combination, Using Suggestions from other users I have Upgraded a Few componants To try and optimize the System, Any Feed back is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
i'll let you know one thing, if you get your dad to get you all the parts for a new PC from the US you'll be able to build a better rig for less than it would cost you in Canada

that is discounting customs fees, or other such issues.

• Rep+
Reactions: zmyth770

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
i'll let you know one thing, if you get your dad to get you all the parts for a new PC from the US you'll be able to build a better rig for less than it would cost you in Canada

that is discounting customs fees, or other such issues.
Custom Fee's?
We can easily hide it all in the huge lorry so no one would see it going through customs

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
What is the brand and type of your current power supply?

Prefer AMD or Intel?

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
if you're okay with that then fine...

anyways, i'm sure someone on here will be able to spec up a nice rig.

FWIW 800 CAD is about 628.04 US$. do you need a monitor, jeyboard, mouse or OS?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
if you're okay with that then fine...

anyways, i'm sure someone on here will be able to spec up a nice rig.

FWIW 800 CAD is about 628.04 US$. do you need a monitor, jeyboard, mouse or OS?

The other $600 in my budget is for the mouse,keyboard and monitor.

and the system i had before was $556 CAD

Os is Vista 32Bit Possible upgrade (came with my Laptop, Wont Register Properly so I use Winfix to Verify the copy)

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
that board is fine. it's just that most people there are having problems with the bios not being updated by newegg. i recommend that board if you won't mind the price. otherwise i'd go for a gigabyte.

i'm a lil bit tired now. but i'll get into you later and recommend a build.

cheers

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

that board is fine. it's just that most people there are having problems with the bios not being updated by newegg. i recommend that board if you won't mind the price. otherwise i'd go for a gigabyte.

i'm a lil bit tired now. but i'll get into you later and recommend a build.

cheers

Thanks i appreciate it. Must be early morning for you, hehe.

I was looking in intel's general, but decided the extra $$$ isnt worth the 2% upgrade in preformance.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
what reso do you game bdw? and just to clear it, this is 800 usd ayt?

and what brand of psu is that?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

what reso do you game bdw? and just to clear it, this is 800 usd ayt?

Preferably 800CAD..

After seing the Xchange rate though it may be up to 900CAD by may when i buy it all....

On the system i first built i was running 1024X768 but im going to be buying a 28" monitor so i can play on bigger.

1024 X 768 with an Xfx 8500Gt in fullscreen was averaging 68 Fps, Dont know if this is any help to you.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
ok here's a good deal:
$176 cpu
$175 mobo
$69 ram
$42 hsf
$254 gpu

$716cad Total

you can use the extra money to go with quad with the 940be

what brand is your psu anyway?
perhaps you can use that one, so you can have that 4870 and get another hdd so you can go raid 0 or for a larger storage.

otherwise just get this 4850
and this psu
then get another 4850 in the future when you have the money and xfire them.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts