Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here so please be patient with me if I've done something incorrectly.

I've just recently built a new PC with the ability to overclock the CPU and GPU. This is something I've never been able to do before with my previous computers limits so I never took the time out to understand Overclocking. Now, I know there are lots of sites and videos etc. out there, but none of them would be tailored specifically to my build and none of them will deal with some of the problems I've been having so instead of wasting time and effort sifting through tons of info I thought it probably wiser and easier to talk to people who more or less know what they're doing directly. I also moved from Intel to AMD with this new PC so here it is:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 1050 OC, 2GB
Mobo: MSI X370 Gaming Plus (MS-7A33)
RAM: 1x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2400MHz
PSU: Antec VP500PC - 500 Watt
HDD: 500GB Toshiba (I'm not too sure on the exact kind of HDD this is, but suffice it to say that it is not a new HDD, I got it about 3 or so years ago)
The CPU is cooled by the heat sink fan that comes with it in the box and the GPU has two heat sink fans built onto it. The rig case is ventilated by a fan that comes with it. No other cooling devices are present. The CPU, GPU, RAM, Fans and Mobo are all new. Windowss install is fresh upon finishing the construction of the rig. HDD is from my old PC, but was wiped clean for windows reinstall. My games are downloaded onto two external HDD devices so that I can keep them regardless of PC. The games Dishonored 2 and Subnautica that I use as an example were installed after I finished building my new PC. I have games installed both on the external HDD and the internal one, both are subject to the following problems.

I have MSI Afterburner which came with the GPU for overclocking. I have CPU-Z and CPUID HW Monitor to check what everything is doing. Now the only part is I'd like to know if I can safely overclock the CPU and GPU and if that will affect the experience during the playing of games (Battlefront 1 & 2, Battlefield 1 etc.) and what the safe numbers are that I should overclock to.

The second thing I'd like to know is if anyone can help me understand why games crash randomly whilst I'm playing them. Allow me to expand on this: During a game (Say Subnautica or Dishonored 2) one of two things sometimes happen:
1.) Suddenly the game will freeze and the entire screen will become engulfed in fuzzy blocks of pink and various other colors. Its a haze, but the game is still partially visible behind the blocks though the screen is frozen. After a few seconds of a screen full of fuzzy pink blocks the game will crash to the desktop and everything will be as normal. As soon as the game has crashed to the desktop I will be able to navigate through folders or even relaunch the crashed game which will then run just fine (Until when/if this crash occurs again)
2.) The game will simply crash to desktop the same as above, but no fuzzy pink blocks screen. It will simply crash to desktop and I will be able to use everything as normal.

Only once, the first time the fuzzy blocked screen occurred, the whole computer crashed and had to be restarted. This has not happened since.

Will overclocking fix this issue or is there something else I'm not aware of?
Thanks.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,443 Posts
That PSU you have in that system that is from an old system as well right?
Most people dont know that the PSU matters more then anything else in the system and an old or bad PSU can cause all sorts or strange things if not wreak havoc with the system

Its not even a 500 watt PSU you have as the 12v rail is not capable of more then 408 watts
What you have could be considered too basic and too old to handle a modern system with overclocking

Its not horrible or anything like that its just old and not all that great

Edit: after digging around a little about the CWT GPA bit i found that the build quality is average at best and that the voltage regulation pretty much sucks even for a unit using the old outdated group regulation sceme

Ripple suppression on the other hand is not all that bad so its not complete junk
You will need a new PSU before doing anything else

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Before overclocking you should see if your computer has basic stability.
If you are experiencing crashes with games, you should solve them first before overclocking, because it says there is something wrong and you shouldnt start overclocking when something is wrong.
How's your temps when you play those games? Have you applied any overclocks?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The PSU that I have is brand new from the place I bought all my other components. However, if this is indeed the problem then I will have to replace this PSU unit. Just double check for me that what you outlines is indeed the case. I'm attaching images of the PSU box. Although these numbers youre listing all seem to appear on my box so you're right. If this is indeed the case, what do you recommend as an affordable replacement in terms of wattage or PSU in general? My budget is tight.

Edit: Upon further inspection of the box I noticed that the dates on there did indicate that the unit is rather old. I am unsure why the place I bought my components at would still have such units since they do not sell that much older parts for anything else (RAM, GPU etc.). I would still like to know you recommendations for what PSU unit I should have with a build like mine.

·
Senior OCN Member
40,443 Posts
Sounds like they threw it in thinking they could get rid of it
If you are on a tight budget most of your options are still going to be group regulated which means mediocre voltage regulation

The only thing that is cheap and uses DC-DC that springs to my mind is the new Corsair CX series so thats an option
The new models are the CX450/550/650 where the old models where the 430/500/600

If you can spend a little bit more and dont mind non modular there is the Seasonic S12G or the XFX rebrand called the XFX TS Gold

• Rep+
Reactions: SwashyDoggo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not applied any overclocks as of yet. I did attempt to bump a few things this way and that in accordance with a video I watched to see if it would help, but I didn't want to mess with stuff I didn't know about so I just canceled all the changes I'd made and left it at default. I'm not sure what my temps are when I play though. Perhaps I should leave the HWmonitor running so I can check.

Edit: I ran HWmonitor and whilst running Subnautica I experienced the crash and took a quick look at the temp of the CPU and GPU were at about 56 degrees celcius each>

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, thanks! I will have a look and see what I can do with that. I'll come back once I have rectified this PSU situation. Not sure how long that'll be, but at least I've got a starting point. Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts