Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel weird calling it old. But it did come out in 2006 am I right? Well technology is moving quite fast, I guess.

My E8400 (Highish end dual core for those who have forgotten lol) with a clock speed of 4GHZ+ coupled with fast rams can still do everything I want it to which is multitasking and gaming at good speeds.

How long will this be the case?? I'm probably not getting a new PC for 3-5 years as I'm a student with no moneyz(But definitely will upgrade the 512mb 9600GT).

Also, Core 2 Duo's compared to the new core I3, which is faster? (Considering I don't need the built in GPU of the I3)

Is the core 2 series still in production? If not, why? They're still great CPUs.

Man, it seems everyone on here has I7s or I5s. I remember when I first joined and Core 2s were the shizz. Aha.

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Of course they are still great CPUs. In fact, Core 2 series of CPUs are among the best gaming chips you can have.

They came out in 2006, but it was the Conroe core (65nm). In January 2008, Wolfdales (45nm, slightly faster clock per clock) came along. Core 2 Duo and quads are still exceptional CPUs, especially the 45nm versions

45nm Core 2 CPUs: E8000, E7000, E6000 (also in 65nm) E5000, E3000 & Q7000, Q8000, Q9000 series.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Still rockin a Q9550. Won't upgrade for a little while. DDR3 is still a hair too expensive for me.

·
Banned
2,905 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor_Jesus
View Post

Still rockin a Q9550. Won't upgrade for a little while. DDR3 is still a hair too expensive for me.

You don't need to upgrade anytime soon.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Also running a q9550 and loving it. Great performance, my OC makes it perform just as well as my friends i7. Not upgrading any time soon, loving the 775 series.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Well according to Intel i'm running a Pentium dual core
... but in fact it is just a core 2 duo with level 2 cache halved.

The i3's are very good dual cores (though i don't see why you wouldn't go for an i5), they can also clock over 5GHz which makes them excellent benchmark performers.

For the money though, the core 2 duos are still great performers and the price will continue to drop as the i series gets even more mainstream.

·
Premium Member
3,686 Posts
my 5000x2 is too fast for me...

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
the E8400 is a great chip, but soon games utilizing 4 cores will be the standard, and then you can go i7, or get the Q9550 on the same mobo, which will perform almost the same as an i7 (as far as games go)

·
Banned
1,226 Posts
An I3 is a glorified E8400, just with HT and 32nm fab process.
You'll be fine for at least a year of two especially gaming wise.
I love my i3 but even the new BF:BC2 only stresses two cores to 50% at 2.9ghz, even less at 4.2ghz haha. just up that video card!
Cough5770ownsCough..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts