Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ordered an EVGA 512MB GTS 250 (I know, not the most powerful card, but it's a mini itx system)... anyhow, it came in the standard packaging for this card, and I was charged only $124.99. I just got he opportunity to test it out, and lo and behold, it's a superclocked card... matches the factory specs for the superclocked edition to a "T". 771MHz Core and 2246MHz memory! Has this every happened to any of you?

I ordered from newegg, and as a bonus, I got 2 games... call of duty world at war as well as world of warcraft w/30day trial. Supposedly $100.00 in free games.

So did I just get the best deal on the egg or what?? I double checked my credit card statement, and was not charged for the more expensive superclocked model.

I attached the detail from the sysinfo tool provided with the nvidia control panel.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
They might've been out of the standard, and bumped ya up. More than likely it was human error somewhere...good find though

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll tell you, this is the greatest deal I have ever gotten from newegg... first, I must have spaced, because I didn't even realize it came with 2 games until I was checking out, and then to get the beefy model for the price of the cheap one? Gotta love it.

I have a sneaky feeling this wasn't newegg's doing though... wouldn't the superclocked edition say so on the package?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Both of my 4830s were the 575 mhz edition, and the cards came clocked in at a whopping 585 mhz! Then I flashed the BIOs so it was 700 mhz.

·
Authentic Jamaican
2,012 Posts
If the box didnt state that it was the superclocked edition it would most likely be a factory packaging error

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, all in all, I feel very fortunate. I don't play call of duty or WOW, so I am selling both to my cousin for $50.00... that'll mean my new card only set me back $75.

I didn't know that EVGA did this... I would assume they would have more of the standard model on hand than the superclocked ones... must just be some very fortunate error down the line somewhere in Taiwan or wherever these come from.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Yeah, as others have stated..this happens a decent percent of the time with EVGA. Haven't heard about it happening at all with other companies, although I don't doubt that it does.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by richardbb85 View Post
can u overclock some more with this card?
Apparently, I should be able to OC this card very well, as I have seen fantastic results with these all over the web. I have not personally OC'd my card (yet). At the present time it meets all my needs and then some. i do not play too many uber-resource hungry games... biggest resource hog is probably Bioshock. In it's day, Bioshock was a taxing game... I remember my old x1950pro x-fire setup choking on it a bit, but now it's as smooth as butter on the GTS-250.

I'm a light-duty gamer... newest game I like is Left 4 Dead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts