Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Adclock.net
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have a 7970 referance thats got a waterblock on it, Plug it into a slot it boots up no problem but theres 3 fat red lines that go down the display in the bios /preboot area and about 7 of them when at a desktop of 2560x1440, Again it has no problems turning on but i get the feeling that this is due to micro fractures in the PCB caused by wear and tear, These cards weren't known for being all that chilly unlesss under water and even then they could still get on the warmer side..

Are there ANY suggestions of things i should attempt to do before baking it.

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
Sub'd.

I have a stubborn R9-280X with similar issues.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I baked my 7970 two years ago and its worked ever since. If there's no chance at being able to RMA with the stock heatsink installed, then I'd say give it a shot.

·
technologist
4,489 Posts
Agreed, if you can't RMA it, try baking it.

Just remember to remove ALL plastic from the card before baking. This is not just the shroud but also the plastic surrounding the fan connector and any other plastic pieces you can find on the board.
biggrin.gif

·
Adclock.net
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotix View Post

Just remember to remove ALL plastic from the card before baking. This is not just the shroud but also the plastic surrounding the fan connector and any other plastic pieces you can find on the board.
biggrin.gif
I wouldn't even know how to remove that plastic part (not that i need it since watercooled) Or what about things such as the plastic in the display connecters and then the power connectors?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just remove plastic parts that are easily removable, it is most likely melting point of those plastic parts is higher then 150C.
Baking can remedy soldered parts that got loose, but if PCB has fractures baking won't help...

·
Adclock.net
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedooo View Post

Just remove plastic parts that are easily removable, it is most likely melting point of those plastic parts is higher then 150C.
Baking can remedy soldered parts that got loose, but if PCB has fractures baking won't help...
I'm only assuming that it's Micro fractures in the PCB/Ball joints as the card looks physicly fine albiet a tad dusty

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayleyne View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotix View Post

biggrin.gif
I wouldn't even know how to remove that plastic part (not that i need it since watercooled) Or what about things such as the plastic in the display connecters and then the power connectors?
I baked my 7970 with the plastic fan socket still on there and it didn't melt. But I didn't bake it that long either. I still have a stripped 7970 sitting on my desk and I don't see a way to remove it without unsoldering the pins for it from the back PCB. I tried pulling it off with my fingernails and it's on there too hard.

The power and display connectors are fine to bake and won't need to be removed.

Honestly, I'd just throw it in the oven and not care about damage to the fan plug since you don't use it.

·
technologist
4,489 Posts
I removed the plastic fan connector from the pins by wedging a flathead screwdriver underneath it, and prying it up. It took a bit of force but eventually slid off the pins.

Unfortunately, baking my dead 6870 didn't revive it.

·
Adclock.net
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmmm I have access to a heat gun that can do up to 650C i don't think i'll quite need it that high but...... that might be a better alternative

1 - 10 of 10 Posts