Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have a VERY big problem here. My fiance backed up all of her stuff to my hard drive. Well....my hard drive got sold in a machine a few days ago (formatted), and I can't get that information back, obviously.

The problem, is that she ALSO formatted her own hard drive a few days ago. She also installed L4D, TF2, and Steam to it (along with Windows Vista).

Is there any possible chance of recovering the data from her hard drive? The backup was roughly 50-60GB on a 160GB drive. The format was a "quick" format.

Help, PLEASE!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
you can try getdataback or ontrack recovery.
worst case, you can ship it to my shop and i can.

·
Premium Member
8,373 Posts
IIRC "quick formats" only destroy the data tables or something like that. So the data is mostly there unless overwritten(which some most likely has), just no way of normally accessing it AFAIK.

I've heard of several data recovery tools, but I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to begin. I just know that it should be possible. Sorry I wasn't more help

·
Premium Member
32,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by FearlessLdr88 View Post
you can try getdataback or ontrack recovery.
worst case, you can ship it to my shop and i can.
How much would you charge me, and how likely do you think it is that it can be recovered?

·
Banned
11,112 Posts
download Undelete - it's free. Quick Formatting doesn't delete any of the data... it just makes it so the OS ignores it all. any files that haven't been written over by the newly installed ones will still be there

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Based on the size of the drive & amount of info formatted over, most of the info (minus what was overwritten by vista & game installs) can be recovered. If you have lots of time, you could do it yourself. Companies or a local guru are much more efficient time wise. You just have to be able to trust who you give it too to pull the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.