Overclock.net banner

i set my voltage to auto WTH is this?!!!

1097 7
so i have a DDR4 aorus elite ax and i set my voltage to auto after a mild OC to 5ghz and 3.9ghz e core with 40x ring on my 12700KF tray sample, just look at that VID! what could possibly be causing it to require such voltage? i didnt think 5ghz needed more than 1.28-1.3V

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
They probably don't need that kind of voltage for 5GHz but those voltages aren't bad either. Also, when 1-2 core workloads demand turbo frequencies greater than 5.0ghz you'll see each VID spike to whatever voltages the v/f curve values are set for. That's normal behavior. Full load frequencies will see much less VID than 1-2 core turbo clock VIDs.

·
Registered
189 Posts
but turbo freq of this cpu is 5ghz max
That depends on how TVB/core optimizations/v/f curve/whatever gigabyte specific CPU options is configured on your MB.

I can tell you from on my OCed 12900k full load 5.1 ghz with VID at 1.19v. Turbo frequency at 5.6ghz will VID at 1.49v. Intel specs allow for 1.7v during the turbo window.
LLC and it's dependent settings will also determine VIDs on the CPU.
There are lots of variables at play here which will determine effective VID you see in HWiNFO.

From your screenshot, nothing is out of the ordinary. Could it be better? Sure, probably.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That depends on how TVB/core optimizations/v/f curve/whatever gigabyte specific CPU options is configured on your MB.

I can tell you from on my OCed 12900k full load 5.1 ghz with VID at 1.19v. Turbo frequency at 5.6ghz will VID at 1.49v. Intel specs allow for 1.7v during the turbo window.
LLC and it's dependent settings will also determine VIDs on the CPU.
There are lots of variables at play here which will determine effective VID you see in HWiNFO.

From your screenshot, nothing is out of the ordinary. Could it be better? Sure, probably.
i was running vulkan siege its an allcore load btw but not 100% ofc

·
Facepalm
11,379 Posts
so i have a DDR4 aorus elite ax and i set my voltage to auto after a mild OC to 5ghz and 3.9ghz e core with 40x ring on my 12700KF tray sample, just look at that VID! what could possibly be causing it to require such voltage? i didnt think 5ghz needed more than 1.28-1.3V
The IDLE VID and IDLE VCORE looks about normal for a 12700K at 5 ghz, especially since those chips are worse binned than 12900K's, so the VID is going to be higher.
Also keep in mind that auto vcore is going to usually go by a typical ACDC Loadline (possibly somewhere about 0.6 mOhms ACLL), and auto vcore needs to be configured so that your CPU is stable under worst case loads (and usually this is with an automatic AVX offset for AVX256 instructions like Prime95 but not cinebench, etc). So yes that VID is normal.

Auto vcore doesn't configure it for bare minimum load voltage stability--you need to put in that work on your own.

What has me scratching my head however is the load vcore. 1.428v seems VERY high for 5 ghz, and the gap between idle VID and load VID is too small. I would expect 1.25v-1.3v.

Are you using some aggressive Loadline Calibration or something? The worst thing to do is to use a very aggressive LLC with a high idle VID/vcore. (this gets even worse when using a high mohm AC Loadline setting on auto vcore--but I have no idea what Gigabyte sets for AC Loadline, which is not the same as Loadline calibration).
Note that ACLL is ignored when you set "fixed" Vcore mode (NOTE: OVERRIDE VCORE is not the same as fixed on gigabyte boards, afaik, "override mode" changes the "Native" VID of the CPU itself, meaning AC Loadline still applies here.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is this acdc acll you're talking about? This was everything on auto including LLC, only clocks were set manually. Exactly I'm surprised why i need such load voltage, it was just gaming. Also i think my mobo by default goes for most aggressive LLC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts