Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spilled juice on my keyboard. It's not funny.
mad.gif

I got it on the bottom left side mostly. My instincts were to tip it upside down and let the juice rinse out. In hindsight, I realize this was a bad idea. The spacebar, left alt, z, x, c, and v keys are all sticky now.

Additionally, while using the Topre key remover, the spacebar is all scratched up now.

The only way I have found to release the stickiness, which seems to only fix it temporarily, is to take the keys off again, dip my finger into some water, lubricate around the area where the key presses in, press the button multiple times to lubricate it, and then replace the key. Only problem is it's sticky again the next day.

Help?

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Take the whole keyboard apart and clean it. Since you spilled juice the plunger and the actually switch are probably covered in it.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Don't use water... Assuming you unplugged it and didn't damage the keyboard, here's what you do. Take off all the keycaps. Apply drops of 99% Isopropyl Alcohol on the required area, press each key 100 times. Wait 30 minutes and repeat, wait a day and repeat. Then let the keyboard dry for 2-3 days. Then you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post

Take the whole keyboard apart and clean it. Since you spilled juice the plunger and the actually switch are probably covered in it.
Thanks Law. I'll try that.

As for your post Marin, how do I take the thing apart?

·
Premium Member
17,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyeLz View Post

Thanks Law. I'll try that.

As for your post Marin, how do I take the thing apart?
Screws on the back. Ripster did it before.

Actually tabs. I have a HHKB so it's different than a Realforce, lol.

http://imgur.com/a/eI8Il

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright well I took it apart and did as you said. The keys seem to be working a lot better now except the Shift key is squeaking...

I didn't have a problem with the Shift key before. I feel like the membrane is misplaced perhaps. Is there an easy way to move it back? It just took me 5 hours to get the keyboard back together because the membranes don't stick to the PCB...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
if i have a dirty keyboard, i just take it apart, remove the electronics and clean them with water and they dry off with a paper towel
while this is happening i place the rest of the keyboard (the plastic parts) into the dish washer..

just dont set the dishwasher on the super heat dry or the setting for antibacterial.. that kicks on basicly an oven inside.
i've accidentally done that maybe twice and nothing bad happened but its not worth the risk of warping anything

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hah it was Peach Mango V-Fusion Lite juice. Delicious.

Any reason why my left shift is squeaking now? I can't think of any reason what would make the internals squeak?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyeLz View Post

Hah it was Peach Mango V-Fusion Lite juice. Delicious.

Any reason why my left shift is squeaking now? I can't think of any reason what would make the internals squeak?
I've never, ever owned a Topre before, so if what I'm going to say is stupid, so be it. Try checking the stabilizers. Sometimes people would complain about squeaky keys and I'd lube up the stabilizers and it would fix it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts