Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im not shure i overclocked my CPU to 4 GHz it was running at this speed for like 3 months not running to hot i even played FEAR never crashed before
now a few days ago i was playing Age of Empires II a game like 10 years old
i was playing online and it was a game of like 3 hours and suddenly i got a BSOD after i booted i get BSOD's Allot now when i UNDERclock it it boots perfectly i am now working on it but when i put it on stock speed it BSOD OR after it initiazes the RAM now i was able to boot it with a linux Memtest disc no errors i let it run all day i reboot it and it crashes again in windows my RAM is ok now i dont know if it is my Mobo or my CPU i have another mobo but i dont wanna swap all the crap it is a Intel Pentium 4 515 2.93 GHz 1 MB 533 MHz is there any way to find out if it is the mobo or the CPU any other way then swapping the mobo ?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i have tryd that no luck with that also the cpu boots perfectly underclocked i can play verry CPU intensive games without it crashing or BSOD when it is clocked at normal speed it even crashes when i do nothing

·
Registered
292 Posts
How high was the Vcore to that CUP? temps might have been fine but did you raise the Vcore and how much? That could be one thing that will cook a cpu.

Complete your sys specs as well!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i already stated i did a memtest the ram is fine and yes i did raise the Vcore
i dont know how much but it was 10 % that was the option i got in the Bios
my Specs are
Intel Pentium 4 515 2.93 GHz 533 MHz FSB 1 MB L2 Cache (133x22) LGA 775
Now on 127x22 works perfectly
Sapphire Radeon X700 256 MB
1024 MB DDR400 (2x256MB+512MB) All Tested Seperatly with Memtest
80 GB 7200 RM 8 MB Seagate
Edit: Mobo Gigabyte GA-8S648FX-775

·

29,532 Posts
How long did you actually test MemTest for?

·
404 Title Not Found
2,326 Posts
What are your temps, what were your temps at 4ghz?, CPU might have underwent a lot of stress being at 4ghz so long, and if it crashes for no reason at stock speeds it would be my first guess.

You could also try a fresh install of windows, another hard drive or a dual boot type thing, possible that its something corrupt in windows.

• Rep+
Reactions: outlawsbba

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whats the PSU ? is it something on the Mobo and i cant tell u my temps at 4 GHz because i cant get to that speed anymore it crashes then
and i overclocked my CPU to 4.2 GHz once and still being stable i CPU-Z verrified my CPU at 4.4 GHz why would it have so much trouble at 4 GHz then ?
Tryd a fresh install i have a dual boot system with Fedora Core 4 if i cant even get past post so i cant test what it dus in linux
Edit: also tryd swapping HDs still the same problem
and i tested Memtest for like 10 Hours i put it on when i went to sleep and when i came back it still was good
btw i remember like a week ago i was lucky and i booted in windows at stock speed
i touth it was working again as soon as i could i runned CPU Burnin for like 1 Hour without a crash and a little after that it crashed again

·

29,532 Posts
PSU = Power Supplying Unit

• Rep+

·
Retired
2,445 Posts
Your PSU is your powersupply... its the thing you plug into the wall. As they die you start seeing instability like you are seeing because there is to much fluctuation in the 12v/5v rails. As suggested, you might try installing another PSU.

• Rep+

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i realy hope its the PSU cause i dont wanna buy a new processor lol
could it be possibel it has something todo with smoke coming out of it like a month ago
i needed an extra Molex-B connector for my floppy the Grafic card already has mine so i used the molex B connector of my AMD Duron pc of my sis
something went wrong and there was a big cloud of smoke came out of the PSU but i never realy had problems with that until now that is
Thank u for ur help i gonna go shopping for a PSU tomorow then

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
you may just want to invest the money into a good like 500W maybe SLI PSU.... get quailty (they shouldn't be more than $70 or so)

• Rep+

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
why would i want 500 W i calculated my power usage at a site it sed i used 300W .And if i contineu to use this PSU would i damage my CPU or Mobo ?
and sometimes when i power my PC it starts to beeb and an error message says i did not connect my power connector to the grafic card when i unplug the pc and plug it back in it works again u think that has something todo with that ?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank u all Verry Verry much my pc is running at 2.93 GHz again i changed the PSU with The celeron one works like a charm again il give all who helped rep + ^^ realy thank u i cant realy express how i feel it felt realy crappy knowing i was working on a CPU that wasnt realy working the way it was supposed to i feel much better now

·
404 Title Not Found
2,326 Posts
Good to hear your back and running, but it may still be wise to invest in a nice PSU. If you decide to and need help finding a good one you know where to ask.

·
Registered
804 Posts
its not the stress but the stabability, BSOD are sometimes random, like i might get one for like no reason and it will never appear again with my system running perfect

1 - 20 of 20 Posts