Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of these big players needs to step up to the pump and offer 2.5" and 3.5" Hybrid-SSD drives immediately! This would instantly differentiate their company from the rest of the SSDs, and build a very usable single drive product for laptops and desktops.

Netbook Hybrid SSD: 16GB SSD + 160GB HDD
Notebook Hybrid SSD: 64GB SSD + 320GB HDD
Desktop Hybrid SSD: 128GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Obviously the desktop SSD isn't nearly as useful as the other two units - it just seems like a logical offering while marketing Hybrid SSD drives.

SATA 2 supports dual logical drives on a single cable, correct?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Hybrid drives have been abandoned as they do not perform well enough to justify cost. Samsung was a big proponent of the technology right before Vista launched (since they have both SSD and HDD divisions). However, they never came out with a drive.

Intel attempted similar technology with Turbo Memory. Both Robeson and Braidwood technology use an addon SSD card. Both are pretty much dead.

·
Banned
3,369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo
View Post

Hybrid drives have been abandoned as they do not perform well enough to justify cost.

That's why my parents abandoned me.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tainok
View Post

That's why my parents abandoned me.

ROFL that was funny.

On topic: Yea I think there is a good reason why these have been abandoned. Too expensive and not enough performance. Perhaps someone or some company will come up with a way to make it cheap.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
SSD, 1TB spinpoint F3 (in a USB enclosure if needed). /thread.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaeljr1186
View Post

why make a hybrid when you can have a 1tb ssd? imo dumb idea....nothing to see here move on.

1TB SSD cost $4-6K... a hybrid drive would cost less than $500. Not that dumb of an idea... if it worked well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor_Jesus
View Post

Huh? USB = 30MB/s...

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor_Jesus
View Post

All this hybrid bashing makes no sense. If SATA2 supports multiple LUNs, you should be able to easily make a hybrid 2.5" drive that would allow a laptop user to boot and run off of the first LUN (which would be SSD) and a second LUN for storage (based on HDD).

I believe the Hybrid tech you guys are referring to that was abandoned was where a certain amount of SSD was used to turbo boost the HDD. I'm talking about two separate storage entities on one device.

ADDED: And I don't see why they can't fit both on a single 2.5" device. They make 1.8" SSD and HDD already. Shouldn't be that hard to get an SSD and HDD on a single 2.5" unit.

ADDED: I can't find info on multi-LUN SATA yet, but they make single chip SATA expanders (and since you only need 2, you could fab a smaller one just for this task) that enable 1 cable to support multiple LUNs.

Single Chip RAID/Hybrid/Expander: http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/04/s...-ssd-hard-dri/

ADDED: Intel AHCI 1.3 specification allows for 4 devices on one port with intelligent switching between all four devices. You can even set the D1-3 power saving states to individual devices through the multiplier to sleep the HDD when in Power Saving/Eco mode. (As seen in sections 8.3 and 9.1 of the spec)

Intel AHCI 1.3 Spec: http://download.intel.com/technology...pdf/rev1_3.pdf

/thread

1 - 8 of 8 Posts