Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im gonna build my first pc.

ive tinkered with pc's , to get a feel for where everything goes,a nd im going to take the plunge to build one, i have always had crappy ones, hence my current system.

heres what im gonna have:
motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H H55 Socket 1156 Motherboard £95
processor: Intel Core i5 650 3.20GHz Socket 1156 4MB L3 cache retail Box Processor £141
RAM: Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz i5 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V X2 £164
PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000W Modular PSU £150
case: Coolermaster Gladiator 600 Mid Tower Case - No PSU £50
Graphics Card: Asus GTS250 Dark Knight Edition 512MB DDR3 DVI VGA HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics Card £100
sound card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Soundcard - Retail Boxed £79
cooling: 4X Coolermaster 8cm Red LED Case Fan £12
HDD: 2X Western Digital WD15EARS 1.5TB Hard Drive SATAII 5400rpm 64MB Cache - OEM Caviar Green £180
Optical Drive: LG CH08LS10 Super Multi Blu-Ray Reader & DVD±RW with LightScribe SATA Black £85
Monitor: Philips 230C1HSB 23" Full HD LCD Monitor 1920x1080 £155
Speakers:XTune 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Wireless Remote - 125W RMS £80
Networking: Linksys by Cisco Wireless-N Dual-Band PCI Adapter £33

total: £1324

any help would be massively apprecieated

·
Registered
905 Posts
1000 Watt PSU is overkill for that system... try a 600 watt maybe even 750 watt max, also On Board Audio is pretty great now days so you really wont need an audio card.

If I were you I would try and invest in a better video card also, the money you save from your PSU and Audio card could go towards a better video card.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
1000w is purely overkill for you just to let you know!!!

and why not go ATI? GTS 250 is outdated and old rofl its basically a rebranded 9800GTX

5770 would be a more future proof upgrade and performs above and on par with a GTX 260

500-600w should be enough

·
Premium Member
11,201 Posts
You don't need a 1000W PSU, get a corsair HX650 instead.

Do you really need 8GB of ram? I would personally get 4GB and spend more money on a better graphics card.

With the above said, get a better graphics card. If you get the cheaper psu and 4GB of ram, you can easily afford an ATI 5850.

Case is really your personal preference, but there are much better and nicer cases out there. CHeck out the CM 690 II.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by oliverw92
View Post

Do you really need 8GB of ram? I would personally get 4GB and spend more money on a better graphics card.

With the above said, get a better graphics card. If you get the cheaper psu and 4GB of ram, you can easily afford an ATI 5850.

Case is really your personal preference, but there are much better and nicer cases out there. CHeck out the CM 690 II.

+1 5850 ftw

and grab a CM Storm scout or a Haf 922/932

·
Banned
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, the sound card is a bit of a msut have, because i prduce music, and a good sound card is a must.

ok i suppose 8gb is a but much
and so is 1000w PSU, ill try and tone it down a little.

the graphics card... id like to get one of them ones that you can link 2 together, what are they called?

·
Registered
97 Posts
SLI or Crossfire. I would second going with an ATI card instead of an nvidia, unless you plan on folding seriously.

Radeon HD 5850 would be good, and you could always run two of those in crossfire.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlockZoR IV View Post
well, the sound card is a bit of a msut have, because i prduce music, and a good sound card is a must.

ok i suppose 8gb is a but much
and so is 1000w PSU, ill try and tone it down a little.

the graphics card... id like to get one of them ones that you can link 2 together, what are they called?
imo you don't use more than 2GB normally.......well I don't

2x GPU= SLI for Nvidia, CrossFire for ATI

some mobo's already have an intergrated 5.1 or even 7.1 channel sound card, for example the asus ROG boards eg. Asus Maximus II Gene, Asus Rampage II Formula etc.

I guess if you limit the ram to 4GB, you could get squeeze in a 5850 or 2x 5770's (gives 5870 performance) XD

EDIT
ATI cards scale better than nvidia cards

·
Banned
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heres a revised list:

motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H H55 Socket 1156 Motherboard £95
processor: Intel Core i5 650 3.20GHz Socket 1156 4MB L3 cache retail Box Processor £141
RAM: Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz i5 Memory Kit CL9 1.5V £82
PSU: Corsair 650W TX Series PSU £72
case: Coolermaster Gladiator 600 Mid Tower Case - No PSU £50
Graphics Card:ATI HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Display Port Out PCI-E OEM Graphics Card £105
sound card: Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Soundcard - Retail Boxed £79
cooling: 4X Coolermaster 8cm Red LED Case Fan £12
HDD: 2X Western Digital WD15EARS 1.5TB Hard Drive SATAII 5400rpm 64MB Cache - OEM Caviar Green £180
Optical Drive: LG CH08LS10 Super Multi Blu-Ray Reader & DVD±RW with LightScribe SATA Black £85
Monitor: Philips 230C1HSB 23" Full HD LCD Monitor 1920x1080 £155
Speakers:XTune 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System with Wireless Remote - 125W RMS £80
Networking: Linksys by Cisco Wireless-N Dual-Band PCI Adapter £33

total: £1169

·
Banned
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by oliverw92 View Post

im not a fan of fancy cases, i like the plane ones, i found it quite a plane case, that i was rather fond of

·
Premium Member
11,201 Posts
Lol in that list you downgraded the gpu. We said 5850, not 5750! If you want to be able to upgrade to a second one, then get a 5770. If you add a second one of those at some point, you get the performance of a 5870.

Also do you really mean 80mm fans? Your case takes 120mm, not 80mm. http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6564. Also, your case comes stock with blue fans, do you really want red ones as well?

I should have said this earlier, but get the i5 750 instead of the 650. It costs barely any more money and allows you to have 4 physical cores.

Also get the 650HX not the TX. The HX is modular, meaning you only need to plug the cables that you need, making cable management easier in the case. Good cable management = better airflow = better temperatures.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by oliverw92
View Post

Lol in that list you downgraded the gpu. We said 5850, not 5750! If you want to be able to upgrade to a second one, then get a 5770. If you add a second one of those at some point, you get the performance of a 5870.

Also do you really mean 80mm fans? Your case takes 120mm, not 80mm. http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6564. Also, your case comes stock with blue fans, do you really want red ones as well?

I should have said this earlier, but get the i5 750 instead of the 650. It costs barely any more money and allows you to have 4 physical cores.

Also get the 650HX not the TX. The HX is modular, meaning you only need to plug the cables that you need, making cable management easier in the case. Good cable management = better airflow = better temperatures.

+1 XD

2x 5770's in Crossfire would reach/exeed the performance of a 5870

I would recommend the MSI 5772 Hawk if you have good case cooling as they OC like crazy

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The hard drives you are looking at are sub optimal for a system drive. They are great for storage, but your OS should go on a faster disk (7,200 RPM, Western Digital Caviar Blue, Caviar Black, or Samsung Spinpoint F3, or ideally budget-permitting an 80GB Intel X25M-G2).

Also, its safer to have your music files on a separate disk from your OS just in case your install becomes corrupted and you need to reformat and reinstall.

If you are making money from it, you may want the 2 caviar greens in RAID 1, with backups on a third caviar green in an external enclosure (or toss them on your old computer via a network - the point is to have a backup that is physically separate from your main rig).

A friend with a garage band once asked me to look into building them a computer for recording music. I spent a few hours doing research before coming to the conclusion they did not have the budget for it, so I am not an expert by any means. However, as far as I can tell, a sound card that costs under ~$200.00 is somewhat pointless. The better sound cards let you plug instruments directly into them and record in real time (assuming you have sufficient disk bandwidth - check the documentation of your recording software), while the less expensive ones are comparable to onboard.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts