Overclock.net banner

I undervolted my GTX280 + GUIDE!

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Decerto 
#1 ·
So I was searching for the max heat that a GTX280 could take I came across a thread where someone undervolted his GTX280 to fight the heat!

So I followed his guide and I'm now WAAAAY cooler! When I was folding before my temps just shot up to 80c where the fan kicked in and made a lot of noise! But now I undervolted my GTX280 and I'm not folding for 30 min and my GTX280 just hit 73c!

Is this awesome or what?!

If you want the guide I'll post it here or make my own since he used a floppy to flash his BIOS and I just used plain old windows since... well... who uses a floppy?

GUIDE!

#3 ·
yea.. is it stable with the undervolted mod?

ive seen people do this with CPUs to lower temps and power consumption etc...

cant see why it wouldnt benefit a GPU if its stable

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dralb View Post
I would rather have it hot and OCed. Have you checked stability?
Yes I have and yes it is!

I have watercooling underway but that fan is just to loud! I'm going to flash it back to its original when I'm underwater again and start OCing this baby!

• Rep+
Reactions: IntelConvert
#8 ·
a guide to do this without floppys would be very nice indeed. My 280 overheats as well running crysis and I end up crashing out pretty frequently. When it runs its great but having to constantly quicksave for the impending crash is a pain. Oh and +1 for the awesome idea

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunslash View Post
what voltage did you go down to?
From 1.18v to 1.03v

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zero4549 View Post
a guide to do this without floppys would be very nice indeed. My 280 overheats as well running crysis and I end up crashing out pretty frequently. When it runs its great but having to constantly quicksave for the impending crash is a pain. Oh and +1 for the awesome idea

I'll post a guide this afternoon... I got to take my drivers exams first. ^^

#10 ·
Needed programs:
BIOS tools (NvFlash and NiBiTor)
GPU-z
  1. Open GPU-z and save your BIOS with the safe BIOS button.
  2. Close GPU-z and open NiBiTor and open your saved BIOS. (you may have to select ".bin" in the dropdown menu where default is ".rom")
  3. That it is opened go to the Voltages tab.
  4. Set "extra" to 1.03v and set "3D" to 1.03v as well. (If you encounter lockups you can up the Voltages to 1.06v)
  5. Save the BIOS to your NvFlash directory. (as a .rom)
  6. Open up a prompt menu by running the command "cmd" in the run window.
  7. Navigate to your NvFlash folder. (use "cd.." to go a folder up, "cd <foldername>" to go into that folder and ex. "G:" to go to your G drive.)
  8. Once in your NvFlash folder type the following: "nvflash.exe -4 -5 -6 <biosname>.rom" and hit enter.
  9. You will now be prompted if you are sure.... and you are so go ahead and press "y".
  10. Once done reboot your PC and enjoy a cool GTX280... or any GFX card for that matter.
If pictures are needed just ask... I don't have time ATM but I will have tonight.

PS. I failed my driving exam.... ****ING OLD PEOPLE. >=(

#11 ·
Would be nice if they came out with backplates for all the 200 series cards like EVGA has on the 295. ~10C cooler during load would be nice for a lot of people I'd imagine.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundx98 View Post
LOL

No fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paradox me View Post
Would be nice if they came out with backplates for all the 200 series cards like EVGA has on the 295. ~10C cooler during load would be nice for a lot of people I'd imagine.
Mine has one...

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippit View Post
No fun!

Mine has one...
Ah, never seen 'em on anything but the 295. Haven't been looking though.

Anywho, nice guide.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippit View Post

Needed programs:
BIOS tools (NvFlash and NiBiTor)
GPU-z
[*] Open GPU-z and save your BIOS with the safe BIOS button.
[*] Close GPU-z and open NiBiTor and open your saved BIOS. (you may have to select ".bin" in the dropdown menu where default is ".rom")
[*] That it is opened go to the Voltages tab.
[*] Set "extra" to 1.03v and set "3D" to 1.03v as well. (If you encounter lockups you can up the Voltages to 1.06v)
[*] Save the BIOS to your NvFlash directory. (as a .rom)
[*] Open up a prompt menu by running the command "cmd" in the run window.
[*] Navigate to your NvFlash folder. (use "cd.." to go a folder up, "cd " to go into that folder and ex. "G:" to go to your G drive.)
[*] Once in your NvFlash folder type the following: "nvflash.exe -4 -5 -6 .rom" and hit enter.
[*] You will now be prompted if you are sure.... and you are so go ahead and press "y".
[*] Once done reboot your PC and enjoy a cool GTX280... or any GFX card for that matter.

If pictures are needed just ask... I don't have time ATM but I will have tonight.

PS. I failed my driving exam.... ****ING OLD PEOPLE. >=(
Hey guys.Decided to resurrect this thread just to say HUGE THANKS to this guy.After numerous mods to my GTX280,numerous brands of thermal compounds,even lapping my cooler,nothing solved my overheating problem.I would get 45c idle temps which is awesome for GTX280 but in games temperature would sky rocket to 90c even if I bump up the cooler to 80% (which sounds like jet taking off,I don't even want to talk about 100%).After modding my gpu following this guide temperatures now hover around 65 while gaming.I STILL CANT BELIEVE IT !!!! From 90-ish to 65 while nothing changed.No performance loss,same fps,I have been gaming whole day,no problems at all.Maybe its no big deal for you overclockers,but this **** blew me away.Such simple mod solved all my overheating problems.I felt the need to thank the guy that I made a new account,so once again,THANK YOU MAN !

edit : forgot to say,my cooler works on 60% atm while gaming which makes it pretty much silent,and temp still stays at around 65-ish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.