Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I had a i3 2100 and some MSI motherboard. I had planned to upgrade this pc to a IB once it was out, and so I have ordered an i7 3770k and a Z77 sabertooth. The MSI board does not have a bios update for IB, and I think MSI won't put one out either since it was a cheapo mobo. All the other parts are staying the same: 16gb ram, 6870 graphics card, and a CD/DVD burner.

I have a 320gb hard drive with Windows 7 Professional. I got windows 7 from my school (offered to all students for free).

This is my first time upgrading my computer, so what's the procedure to follow regarding hard drive? Should I perform a clean install? How do I format my hard drive (do I even need to?)?

Thank you!

·
Registered
287 Posts
When swapping out motherboards you always want to do a clean install of the os. The chances of the machine even booting into windows now will be slim. Just boot from the os disc and you will be able to format and install from there.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just read something on my mom's ipad it says I can reinstall windows on my current pc (the i3 2100, msi mobo) and do a clean install, then just move that drive and put it with my upgraded stuff, and install driverrs. will that work?

edit: should i format first before the new parts arrive or wait until new parts arrive?

im sorry for noob
frown.gif

ima comp sci major but im shabby on computer parts and stuff
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
it can be done, drivers will need updating either auto or manually but doesnt always work.. best thing is to do a clean fresh install as you also clean up all the garbage that that has built up from the last install.. start fresh
smile.gif

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would it be okay if i clean the disk now by doing a clean install of windows 7?

or do i do this when i boot the upgraded pc and just boot from the OS disk?

·
Premium Member
15,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orc Warlord View Post

would it be okay if i clean the disk now by doing a clean install of windows 7?
or do i do this when i boot the upgraded pc and just boot from the OS disk?
wait until you build your new rig then do the clean install
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Windows 7 is actually really good about motherboard swaps.

HOWEVER.

Microsoft considers it a new system, it's better to do a clean install when you swap something like a motherboard. There are so many factors involved with switching motherboards, you'll have fewer headaches and silly issues if you just wipe and do a clean install.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay cool
smile.gif

I finalized my order last night too
smile.gif

i7 3770k
HAF X case
H100 cooling system
4x120mm cougar fans
z77 motherboard
nzxt cable extension (i read my power supply cables are too short in haf x... xD)
led stick xDDD

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootsfox View Post

Windows 7 is actually really good about motherboard swaps.
I don't know about that. I swapped motherboards in Windows 7 systems about 6-7 times. Not one was able to limp along with the new hardware. Safemode = BSOD, Regular boot = BSOD, Startup Repair = no effect.

Contrast that with XP, where 100% of the time it was successful*. (about 30 times) I included the asterisk because starting with XP SP3, Microsoft disables safemode until Windows is reactivated, which is a challenge when you can't boot regularly due to the wrong drivers being installed. But anyone with a pirated version has no such trouble swapping boards/drivers. Just remove the old ones from the Device Manager in safemode, then boot regularly and install new ones.
thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
19,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy View Post

I don't know about that. I swapped motherboards in Windows 7 systems about 6-7 times. Not one was able to limp along with the new hardware. Safemode = BSOD, Regular boot = BSOD, Startup Repair = no effect.
Contrast that with XP, where 100% of the time it was successful*. (about 30 times) I included the asterisk because starting with XP SP3, Microsoft disables safemode until Windows is reactivated, which is a challenge when you can't boot regularly due to the wrong drivers being installed. But anyone with a pirated version has no such trouble swapping boards/drivers. Just remove the old ones from the Device Manager in safemode, then boot regularly and install new ones.
thumb.gif
Odd, I've done a few personally at home and they work fine, though I reinstall windows fresh anyways just because it's time to do so. I've done it with work computers as well mostly going from C2D to C2Q or nehalem range hardware and it boots and loads fine, though I still do a fresh install anyways. I had a host of problems even trying to do that with XP systems, though those usually involved RAID setups or other similar driver things.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts

·
Registered
7,481 Posts
You *Should* reinstall windows through parts swaps, but my current install has been through three mobo swaps and it still works fine. I probably SHOULD reinstall windows though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts