Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay so i have finally caved in and am looking at buying a mbp...probably the base model 13" or the base model 15"..still on the fence about that..

i am still adamant about apple suing htc on smart phone stuff etc.... and i am not a big fan of osx, nor iphone, but i am willing to forget that stuff because of macs pros...such as good build quality, the long battery life, the very nice screen, and the mac sell back yields nice returns....making a mbp a solid investment...

i would have to ask before finalizing my purchase....does anybody see much difference between the 13" and the 15"?? can you run eclipse ide on mac natively? if not will it work through wine?? is the java for mac the same as it is for windows and linux??? i remember someone telling me the java vm and the jre is different than the ones on linux and windows but that was in the day of osx tiger....

the other thing is does osx multitask like say linux or win7 does??? i would have to say the major selling point for me buying a new mbp with snow leopard is the very low bloatware unlike windows that takes up 20gb on install i read only 7gb-10gb for snow leopard....and my other questions have to do with native compilers...does osx have a native compiler like gcc and does osx support *sh shell scripting natively??

also does the mac have freeware support??? like openoffice.org? adobe reader etc??

i have never owned or used osx nor apple products beyond the iphone 3gs...

any help would be greatly appreciated.....

also what would be good add-ons and accessories to help my mac experiences???

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
been using the 13inch for a year i'm actually glad it needed repair and macmall ended up giving me a refund. so now i can go get a 15inch with the full refund they gave me. you'll notice a big difference in screen real-estate when comparing the 13 to the 15. and the software is very efficient. i only had to shut down and restart when updating osx and other major software.

multitasking is a cinch with the multi gesture touchpad.

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,147 Posts
I'd say the more powerful CPU, GPU, and larger screen resolution would be better for you if you're a programmer. Although, its up to you, the 13" has a 1280x800 res, C2D 2.4GHz CPU, 4GB 1066MHz RAM, GeForce 320M integrated GPU, 320GB HD, while the 15" has a 1440x900 res (option for 1680x1050), i5 @ 2.4GHz, 4GB 1066MHz RAM, GeForce GT 320M (I think), and a 320GB HD.

Yes, OS X does multi-task the same way. You can minimised Windows, hide them, close them, leave them open. However, switching between windows has never been easier with Expose

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/

That's about all I know, cheers. OS X takes up to 15GB of HD space, but it comes with a lot of full software that can use, IIRC.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will most likely sell my hp that i have had for like 9months and it was referbished from hp and it had only been used for like 3months before me and i guess they didn't want it or something but they had replaced the guts and resold it...well the hdd has failed and they wehre replacing that along with a cpu fan that failed....had overheating issues on compiling anything in gentoo....

i am tired of having to deal with windows 3rd party drivers crashing my system...so i am looking to post it on ebay for like 600 bucks...since it will be damn near brand new again....it just cannot handle what i need it to do....nothing wrong really with it for just normal web surfing and doing homework for like a hs student or something...

once i sell it i will most likely then save up the rest of the 1000 bucks and maybe pick up a 15" i5 base model by christmas i think...

i saw on the mac consumer buying tips that the macbook pro had only like 150 - 160 days before they should be releasing specs for upgrades?? should i wait for that or should i just get one now??? i heard that they will only be releasing a better macbook pro 17" and like some higher end 13"

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,147 Posts
Apple refreshes it's line up yearly (give or take a few months, usually give, lately), it's up to you whether you want to wait or not, I probably would, if possible.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I just bought a unibody MacBook last week because my gaming laptop was to heavy to carry around college and I had barley ever used the Mac OS before I bought it but I wanted to try it and if I didn't like it then it would still make a pretty decent Windows 7 laptop but I really like the Snow Leopard. The specifications are not even close to my gaming laptop, i7 vs 2.4ghz C2D, 5870m vs 9400m, 6Gb DDR3 vs 4Gb DDR3 but honestly the Mac starts up and shuts down MUCH faster and they both have 7,200rpm hard drives. I really like the Mac and I've got Microsoft Office 2011 on here and its great and really fast. The battery life is really good also.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sooo back with another question....i have alot of extensive background with using wine to do pretty much everything from running microsoft office to making lotro work in wine.....i know about vmware....since i do alot of programming in college....go figure i am a senior in a comp sci major lol....but anyways... is vmware fusion 3.1 any better than running wine...and if so is it like crossover?

i seriously doubt i would probably need vmware for awhile....but i know for sure that i am never going to put windows on a mac....that is like putting orange juice in my cereal....just utter horror...

so i guess what i am asking is there an advantage of running vmware fusion vs. running wine in a osx environment vs. like running wine on say linux...is wine support as well on osx as in say linux?? or is the mac like a version or two behind???

·
Banned
115 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by adramalech707 View Post
okay so i have finally caved in and am looking at buying a mbp...probably the base model 13" or the base model 15"..still on the fence about that..

i am still adamant about apple suing htc on smart phone stuff etc.... and i am not a big fan of osx, nor iphone, but i am willing to forget that stuff because of macs pros...such as good build quality, the long battery life, the very nice screen, and the mac sell back yields nice returns....making a mbp a solid investment...

i would have to ask before finalizing my purchase....does anybody see much difference between the 13" and the 15"?? can you run eclipse ide on mac natively? if not will it work through wine?? is the java for mac the same as it is for windows and linux??? i remember someone telling me the java vm and the jre is different than the ones on linux and windows but that was in the day of osx tiger....

the other thing is does osx multitask like say linux or win7 does??? i would have to say the major selling point for me buying a new mbp with snow leopard is the very low bloatware unlike windows that takes up 20gb on install i read only 7gb-10gb for snow leopard....and my other questions have to do with native compilers...does osx have a native compiler like gcc and does osx support *sh shell scripting natively??

also does the mac have freeware support??? like openoffice.org? adobe reader etc??

i have never owned or used osx nor apple products beyond the iphone 3gs...

any help would be greatly appreciated.....

also what would be good add-ons and accessories to help my mac experiences???
OSX has GCC built into the developer portion. When you get your mac, pop in the Install disc, and install Xcode, that installs GCC, and all the developer tools. Xcode which is the apple built IDE supports all mac development as well as C++ and other languages through extensions and updates. I use Eclipse, Codeblocks, and Unitron. Java is exactly the same, there is no difference between linux, mac, and windows distributions of the java packages. It has great multitasking. I usually run Eclipse, Unitron, Itunes, Chrome, OpenOffice, and miscellaneous apps with ease. I would get a 15" screen ,since 13" is incredibly cramped in my position.

To Summarize: Eclipse IDE runs natively on OSX, C++, Java and whatnot all perfectly fine. The Java SDK and packages are no different between linux, osx, and windows. There are lots of freeware software packages for OSX, and their is OpenOffice on mac, as I use it. I would go with a 15" MBP, and apply for a student discount if you are a university student or teaching professional at an educational institution.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Not going to read everyones reply, but I got the 13.3 MPB.. I used to be a big time apple hater, but after selling my laptop PC, and getting this, I fell in love. I am a software engineering student and have no problems thus far.

The power on this thing is great, games run fine, and the battery is unreal. Often in class, with lower brightness, using Wifi, and browsing web/msn/taking notes i get close to 10 hours on my battery, its amazing!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I see that issue with my laptop right now. I will sit in my operating systems class take notes for like 1hr 30min, then go outside with my work and just sit there in Gentoo Linux and work on my programming solution. I will have like 30min more before I need to either move my position to find a plug which there are like 4 plugs outside of my computer sci department, or go inside and plug in.

Also, while plugged in if I am running many programs or say I am compiling updates and working on coding my boot loader and have audacious running in the background streaming online music I will overheat my laptop and it will stop charging, because the heat sinks fail at transferring heat so the battery will gain the heat from other components. It will say running on a/c power not charging until it cools back down. When the power cable overheats from, I guess poor design, it will start running off of the battery, because the power brick capacitors get too hot and it won't transfer electricity through the cable. I have like 5 minutes then my laptop will shutdown for 1hr-3hrs to cool down, then I can use it for another 2hrs before it will die again.

I just need a good solution! I saw the Macbook Pro as my solution until something better comes out a couple years down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts