Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im on pentium 4 with 1 gb ram for like 5 years now n i really need to upgrade i do Music Production/Recording
im not gonna overclock or game anything but its nice to have 6 cores since audio plugins are hungry for cpu

i need help with building the pc
here is what i had in mind

CPU = I7 980X
M.B = GIGABYTE X58A-UD5 or ASUS P6X58D Premium
Ram = 4gb or 6gb corsair [ i'll be running on 32 -bit but i might go with 64 bit with some apps , not all music apps are 64 bit yet ]
Graphic = 512 [ i dont do anything that needs more than this really ]
HDD = 320 Maxtor [ the one that i already got ] + 1TB Maxtor OR two 500GBMaxtors [ i dont know , is it possible to have 3 HDDs Internal? ]

& i dont know anything about what kinda power , cooler , or case i need for this kinda setup , again im not doing any OC but i really dont wanna risk it so im gonna need a good cpu fan & a good case for cooling

& another question i have , im gonna need 1 or 2 firewire ports for my audio gears & maybe 1 PCI slot so if there is another M.B that you can suggest , please do

i have about 2500 $ but
1.i dont wanna spend all of it even saving few bucks is worth it unless i really have to spend all of it
2.in my country things are overpriced for ex: i7 980 x is about 1250$
so maybe its good if you count it like i got about 1800 - 2000 $

Thanks

·
Banned
356 Posts
For just music work you won't need an extreme. You're better off using a lower i7, or an i5.
And i'm guessing you mean two 500Gb Maxtors, and Maxtor is actually Seagate nowadays.
Seagate is very very good, so if you're going to be using the space then it is definitely worth getting.
But for a HDD i'd go for http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173804.
Very cheap too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ t.herrod

yes i would go with an i7 860 or 920 but if i get this sytem i wont be able to upgrade for next 4-5 years so i really need to future proof it[ i think this is the expression? ]
& thanks for correcting me yes i meant GB , so .. can i use 3 Internal HDDs? or should i get a 1tb & use the one i already got as the second one

@Mmansueto
i live in iran

·
Registered
114 Posts
or even going for an amd build with the X6 1090T if you really feel you will need 6 cores. The amd build will be cheaper and require less cooling.

If you want an Intel build then go for the i7 930 which is under $300 and a very fast chip which can handle just about anything you can throw at it. You can get away with onboard graphics if you're not going to game or do any video editing, etc. The samsung spinpoint F4 is a very good hard drive which is fast and reasonably priced. The 640gb version is rated very highly and can be put in Raid 0 for increased performance.

·
PC Evangelist
47,388 Posts
Why not get Core i7 930 and with the 700$ you save you can upgrade the PC after 2 years?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tnx for your posts
more suggestions please
about motherboard , fan cooler [ do i even need this if i dont OC ? ]
specially power supply

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
you mean cpu cooler ? or fan cooler ? if fan cooler get some coolermaster r4 , if cpu cooler get a nice thermaltake frio or coolermaster v6 . For power supply corsair hx750

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Considering you're in a hotter climate, an aftermarket heatsink/fan assembly would do wonders, especially for dB the fans create.
If you don't need much of a graphics card, you can even find a 1GB nVidia 9800GT or something. Their really cheap now and are more than sufficient for audio recording.
You can easily run everything off of a 650watt PSU.

EDIT: About that Coolermaster V6- I heard their pretty loud and considering this is for an audio recording rig..

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
The seasonic 650 watt units are also on sale at newegg. Otherwise all the other parts recommended are great. You also may want to look at a xeon e5620, its powerful and is more or less a quadcore variant of the 980x (westmere) (same amount of cache, lower TDP) which should run cool and work on quite a few regular x58 motherboards. Its an inexpensive solution, and not a bad idea for those who want to get the best "bang for their buck".

·
Registered
387 Posts
meh for music production u can get a quad core intel w/ ht like a xeon X3440 which is priced @ 231.99 in the US, for motherboard just get something simple like a gigabyte ud3 or and asus p7p55 :] for ram go with mushkin since ur gunna be running a lot of programs u can go for 8 gigs i wud go with mushkin or g. skill for cpu cooler get a cooliit eco or a cooler master hyper 212+ video card i wud go with a 5570 its nice and cheap or u can go with a 9800 or a gts 250 meh i wud go with the 9800 but its just cuz i prefer nvidia :], for a case i wud get HAF 922 or an NZXT case i fergot the name but it has really good air flow and its like 90 bux for the psu go with corsair 650watt which should be more then enough to power ur computer for hard drives get a couple of samsung f3s 1tb 75 bux and they have good reviews for cd/dvd/blu ray go wit a pioneer one or lg :] hope this helps

·
Registered
842 Posts
U don't need an aftermarket cooler for the 980x the stock cooler is great ull have no issues if ur not overclocking, and u need a vid card x58 boards don't have onboard graphics

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Go AMD six core with 6GB of ram or more.

Get yourself a couple of HDD's in RAID 0 and your sorted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts