Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Blue and Green Team!
Joined
·
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo guys, having recently changed sound cards from a Prelude to a Xonar STX which has RCA out and 1/4 jacks etc... I want to try going fully analogue RCA to an amp with some really nice speakers.

I currently have some Z-5500's running via Optcial, they are amazing sounding I think but I want to go more Audiophile end now.

So guys, I want to get myself the following:

Two speakers, one left and one right
A good amp to drive them


I only want 2 speakers as I really don't think 5.1 gives any sense of amazement when playing music.

I listen to mainly rock and blues so I want a good balance between quality and volume!

I will be running RCA from the STX to the amp.

So guys, the budget is around £400 - £500. What should I get?

Cheers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,669 Posts
Something like;

Marantz 6002

and

Monitor Audio BR2

That's only an example of what you could get in that price range, you'll want stands and some nice cable (no more than £5/m IMO).

Where in the England are you mate? I highly recommend going to a local dealer, stating your budget and see what they recommend and have a listen.

EDIT:

Forgot to ask, do you want Standmount speakers (those I suggested) or Floorstanding? You'll get better sound quality with standmounts for the price but Floorstanders often offer lower frequencies.
 

·
Blue and Green Team!
Joined
·
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been looking at Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's or 9.6's. Are they any good?

Remember, I want a good amount of volume here. I will be coming from Z-5500's so I want a good bit of power there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,669 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by The_Rocker
View Post

I have been looking at Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's or 9.6's. Are they any good?

I have the 9.1's so of course I'm gonna say they are good
- which they are, excellect for the price.

I couldn't say about the 9.6's from a personal standpoint but all of the Diamond range is highly regarded. The only thing is that you may not like the signiture sound, I'd say its quite warm and laid back. Again I'd suggest getting a demo at a local dealer.

EDIT:

RE: Volume.

My 9.1's are driven by the Marantz Amp that is one down from the linked above, 5W less RMS into 8Ohms and my speakers go so loud its silly. You'll have no issues at all with volume. I think I'm right in saying that you'd get slightly less volume per Watt with the floorstanders with that amp as it is driving 2 drivers in the 9.6's as apposed to the 1 Bass driver in the 9.1 but I don't think it would have any issues at decent volumes, only at very high volumes.

Even at mild volumes any speakers in this range will blow away the Z5500 in terms of quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
2nd the BR2s from Monitor Audio.... I've heard these in person and these are larger than most bookshelves.... sensitivity is 90db, which means that you won't need a monster amp to drive them.

As far as amps go... I've never heard Cambridge Audio, but they always get good reviews. I had a Cambridge CD player which was OK (540) but I thought it was a little lean in the bass department.

I also used to own some JMLabs 707s, but those are a touch beyond your price range I think.

Can't go wrong with BR2s I would have thought.... just beware that once you start this hobby, it can get expensive
 

·
Blue and Green Team!
Joined
·
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Jimmy2Shoe
View Post

2nd the BR2s from Monitor Audio.... I've heard these in person and these are larger than most bookshelves.... sensitivity is 90db, which means that you won't need a monster amp to drive them.

As far as amps go... I've never heard Cambridge Audio, but they always get good reviews. I had a Cambridge CD player which was OK (540) but I thought it was a little lean in the bass department.

I also used to own some JMLabs 707s, but those are a touch beyond your price range I think.

Can't go wrong with BR2s I would have thought.... just beware that once you start this hobby, it can get expensive


Well, having owned 2 8800GTX's, 2 9800GTX's, 4 different GTX280's... I think this hobby will be a little lighter on my wallet


I am still lost on what to get guys?

There are no local dealers where I live as well so I can't get demo's. It going to me a bite bullet and find out job.

I do like the look of them BR2's:

.shtml]http://petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz...2[1].shtml

Anyone here use them?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,669 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by The_Rocker
View Post

Well, having owned 2 8800GTX's, 2 9800GTX's, 4 different GTX280's... I think this hobby will be a little lighter on my wallet


I am still lost on what to get guys?

There are no local dealers where I live as well so I can't get demo's. It going to me a bite bullet and find out job.

I do like the look of them BR2's:

.shtml]http://petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz...2[1].shtml

Anyone here use them?

Where do you live? I'll find you a dealer


I'd say that if you buy the BR2's you won't be dissapointed, I'd still urge you to try and demo them beforehand though.
 

·
Blue and Green Team!
Joined
·
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by tUDJ
View Post

Where do you live? I'll find you a dealer


I'd say that if you buy the BR2's you won't be dissapointed, I'd still urge you to try and demo them beforehand though.

I live in Bracknell, Berkshire.

Lets say if I went with the BR2's, thats £200 for the speakers.

What AMP could I get for say £200 - £250?

Another pointer, would an amp with connection for a sub be worth it incase i want to grab myself a quality sub?

Volume is VERY important, I want to be able to go loud.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,669 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by The_Rocker
View Post

I live in Bracknell, Berkshire.

Lets say if I went with the BR2's, thats £200 for the speakers.

What AMP could I get for say £200?

Another pointer, would an amp with connection for a sub be worth it incase i want to grab myself a quality sub?

You can connect a sub to an amp that doesnt have a dedicated sub out.

For £200 on an amp I'd look at the following;

Nad C315BEE £161.44

Onkyo A9155 £165.40

CA AZUR 340A £199.99

Above £200 but still under £500 total I'd take a good look at;

Rotel RA-04 £244.63

NAD C325BEE £219.95

Marantz PM6002 £215.27

There are plenty more amps in the price range but those are the main ones I'd be looking at.

EDIT:

Theres a Richer Sounds in Reading, would be worth the drive to have a listen to lots of kit although they don't sell Monitor Audio stuff.
 

·
Blue and Green Team!
Joined
·
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by tUDJ
View Post

You can connect a sub to an amp that doesnt have a dedicated sub out.

For £200 on an amp I'd look at the following;

Nad C315BEE £161.44

Onkyo A9155 £165.40

CA AZUR 340A £199.99

Above £200 but still under £500 total I'd take a good look at;

Rotel RA-04 £244.63

NAD C325BEE £219.95

Marantz PM6002 £215.27

There are plenty more amps in the price range but those are the main ones I'd be looking at.

EDIT:

Theres a Richer Sounds in Reading, would be worth the drive to have a listen to lots of kit although they don't sell Monitor Audio stuff.

That Marantz 6002 looks like it comes highly reccomended. However, how would I connect a sub to it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,669 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rocker View Post
That Marantz 6002 looks like it comes highly reccomended. However, how would I connect a sub to it?
Connect it to the CD Record Line Out with a single Phono -> Phono cable. Works fine for me when I hook my KEF sub to my PM4001.

This is the very cable I have.
 

·
Blue and Green Team!
Joined
·
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by tUDJ
View Post

Connect it to the CD Record Line Out with a single Phono -> Phono cable. Works fine for me when I hook my KEF sub to my PM4001.

This is the very cable I have.

Nice!

Cheers.

Looks like I might bite the bullet and get a set of Monitor Audio BR2's:

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=5824&aid=15036

And as for the AMP, that Marantz PM6002. I think thats the one to get but is it really powerful enough to drive two BR2's and push them good?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,135 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by silent_nightr34
View Post

What about some studio monitors? Amazing sound quality and no external amp needed..

Yaaay~ *flails arms*
 

·
Blue and Green Team!
Joined
·
10,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top