Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so its about time to retire my curent computer, its been a good one, but newer parts are coming out at good prices. I have been out of the sport for the past 6 months or so, I need helping picking out parts.

Right now my setup is in my sig rig, and it is a great setup, cost me around $150 using lightly used parts to build it and help from the great members of OCN


I only played Urban Terror and could max it out all day, now I am moving on to games like COD4, COD MW2, BF2.. other slighly newer games. I need something that can keep up with frame rates. I play all online, so I need something that wont lag me up..

HOWEVER..

I am pretty cheap
LOL. I like the best "bang'fo'buck" deals out there. I don't want to spend too much. I already had a case I can use. But I need..

PSU
GPU
PCU
Mobo
Ram
HDD

I got the OS covered. Just need everything else. Hopefully around $300...$400 tops. I only need something to play those games without lag.

BTW, I am about to buy a 19" widescreen LCD monitor.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,170 Posts
AMD Athlon II X2 250 CPU - $65

GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - $85

CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W PSU - $56

Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM - $105

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB - $160

WDC Black 500GB HDD - $70

Total cost: $531.

Sell the rest of your rig. Some parts of your rig are actually pretty good, so you might be able to get $100 for your entire sig rig. Hopefully, that will cushion your the amount of money you spend on this rig, and you'll meet the $400 budget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,362 Posts
If I were in your situation, this is what I would build...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103652
AMD 720 x3 CPU. $105

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103064
CPU cooler, as the 720 doesn't come with one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131633
Asus 890gx MB $140

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231277
G.Skill 4g DDR3 1600 $105

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151092
Seasonic 550w PSU $74

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127484
MSI 5770 1g version $160

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152226
Samsung Spinpoint F3 $45

All totaled, not including shipping/tax) $649.

The CPU will work better, as games are starting to utilize more than 2 cores. The MB is VERY solid and should last a long while with no problems. The RAM, is about as good for the money as you are going to find, with a excellent company backing them.

The PSU is extremely good quality so if you need to add another 5770 down the road for more performance it will handle it no problem.

The Spinpoint F3's are faster than the caviar blacks. I wish I would have purchased those instead of my caviars, but they weren't in stock at the time I made my purchase.

Sometimes the best bang for the buck isn't the cheapest component out there.

Hope this helps you out, enjoy the build friend!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,766 Posts
If you're willing to buy today from NewEgg during St. Patrick's Day special:

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - $119.99-$10 MIR - $15 off with promo code EMCYPZT36 = $94.99 (solid board...OCs/unlocks BE processors)

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB HDD - $89.99 - $8 off w/promo code EMCYPZT33 = $81.99

Rosewill BRONZE series RBR1000-M 1000W [email protected]°C, 80Plus Bronze Certified,Modular PSU - $129.99 - $25 off w/promo code EMCYPZT28 = $104.99 (good solid supply, even tho Rosewill isn't considered "quality" by most people)

SAPPHIRE 100284L Radeon HD 5750 GPU - $144.99 (5770 doesn't give much more HP for the $15)

A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $102.99 (Good memory, tho A-Data is considered sort of off-brand)

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Callisto 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W C3 Revision CPU - $100.99 (You can unlock this thing as reliably as the x3 720 and it's $5 cheaper and OCs higher at lower temps)

Total: $630.94 + s/h (+ tax if applicable)

Most of that stuff is little-to-no shipping. So, go look at the Egg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm ok so we are all choosing either dual or triple core AM3 cpu's, which is what I was looking for. I have no problem reusing my sig rig cooler, seem to work pretty good.

What I really need to know is if COD4 and those other games list in the original post will run good and smooth off a dual core cpu... or if all these games are more gpu dependant. I am just trying to figure if a 550 mildly overclocked will run at full tilt during games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,170 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Brandon H.
View Post

Hmm ok so we are all choosing either dual or triple core AM3 cpu's, which is what I was looking for. I have no problem reusing my sig rig cooler, seem to work pretty good.

What I really need to know is if COD4 and those other games list in the original post will run good and smooth off a dual core cpu... or if all these games are more gpu dependant. I am just trying to figure if a 550 mildly overclocked will run at full tilt during games.

You seem to be an FPS lover.


Games such as MW2 and BC2 are not really CPU dependent. However, if you were to also play games such as GTA IV or even SCII maybe, CPU power would come a bit more into play.

But with a solid overclock on an AMD Phenom II X2 550, you shouldn't experience any problems playing any of those games listed, as your 5770 should be enough to game with decent settings on a 1920 x 1080 resolution monitor. (Of course, overclocking your GPU too would also help.
)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,076 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
AMD Athlon II X2 250 CPU - $65

GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - $85

CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W PSU - $56

Kingston ValueRAM 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM - $105

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB - $160

WDC Black 500GB HDD - $70

Total cost: $531.

Sell the rest of your rig. Some parts of your rig are actually pretty good, so you might be able to get $100 for your entire sig rig. Hopefully, that will cushion your the amount of money you spend on this rig, and you'll meet the $400 budget.

Have you decided yet?

I would go for this with a couple of changes.

Get the 240 instead http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-688-_-Product

And this HD http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148451

Which brings you at 500$, I failed to build you a set $400, you'll want to boost your budget for all 6 main components.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:


Originally Posted by Baldy
View Post

You seem to be an FPS lover.


Games such as MW2 and BC2 are not really CPU dependent. However, if you were to also play games such as GTA IV or even SCII maybe, CPU power would come a bit more into play.

But with a solid overclock on an AMD Phenom II X2 550, you shouldn't experience any problems playing any of those games listed, as your 5770 should be enough to game with decent settings on a 1920 x 1080 resolution monitor. (Of course, overclocking your GPU too would also help.
)

I love FPS.. I am use to getting 125fps when playing Urban Terror.


I still haven't decided what to do yet, but those 1 day deals aren't going to work with me. It will be atleast 2 weeks untill I have the money to order parts, I just want to figure out what I want now, because I like doing research into the stuff I am buying.

What I think I am going to do is buy a new video card and power supply first, and see if its any better then this little NVIDIA 9400GT.

That way, if a GPU upgrade doesn't please me, I can upgrade everything else and use that new GPU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:


Originally Posted by Hy3RiD
View Post

I think he means FPS as in First Person Shooter not Frames per Second.

In that case yes, I love both FPS and FPS
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top