Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the smallest SSD I can buy that is also incredibly fast as a OS drive only? I want to put my OS and all programs onto an SSD, and all games/music/movies/etc onto my 1TB.

However I know not where to start. I don't have any brand preference, any will do, but I hear Mushkin and OCZ's are the best modern SSD's right now. My budget is $150-$200

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
30GB is the smallest 2.5" SSD that I know of. OCZ Vertex series are good ones to look out for and are in your budget.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbudden View Post
30GB is the smallest 2.5" SSD that I know of. OCZ Vertex series are good ones to look out for and are in your budget.
You won't be able to fit all of that on 30 GB. For a boot drive ALONE I would recommend no less than 40.

To answer your question, you wont find a drive with the space you need that's within your price range.

This is probably your best bet and it would have to be purely for your operating system (assuming that is windows 7)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-025-_-Product

Since you have $200 though you could buy 2 of these and put them in RAID 0. That would boost performance quite a bit and you could put some programs on there. I don't know about games/music/movies though...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by C-zom
View Post

What is the smallest SSD I can buy that is also incredibly fast as a OS drive only? I want to put my OS and all programs onto an SSD, and all games/music/movies/etc onto my 1TB.

However I know not where to start. I don't have any brand preference, any will do, but I hear Mushkin and OCZ's are the best modern SSD's right now. My budget is $150-$200

i just order this Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148357
i did some review and ask the OCN forum and so far its the best ssd specially for ur motherboard sata3/6 supported .
and i paid $148 tax/shipping included i think its good price.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSSDReview
View Post

The best deal you will get is the OWC with the Sandforce controller here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other...ting/SSDMX040/

Info below if you need a bit of a background on ssds...

hi bud im still kinda new in ssd world but wasnt crucial realssd should be the best for his asus rampage III extreme motherboard ?

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trademark
View Post

hi bud im still kinda new in ssd world but wasnt crucial realssd should be the best for his asus rampage III extreme motherboard ?

Debatable, Crucial will be faster in non compressible data, and pure sequential reads..

Sandforce should be faster whenever the data can be compressed at all.

2 different technologies...

As far as SATA 3 Gbit/s vs SATA 6 Gbit/s... I wouldn't worry about that much... it's only in Sequential reads that you see the 355 MB/s read of the Crucial, and 270 MB/s on SATA 3Gbit/s is not "slow" lol
Also often the Intel ICH/PCH chips are better all-around performers then Marvell SATA chips... random performance mainly.

·
Registered
936 Posts
are u talking about this? so i guess i should been better with the patriot inferno then? i was just worried my motherboard doesnt support those sandforce controller.. also do i have to buy extra controller to be able to use a sandforce based ssd?

Nvm thedreadedgman explain to me in details.. ignore this post guys

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
Quote:

View Post

are u talking about this? so i guess i should been better with the patriot inferno then? i was just worried my motherboard doesnt support those sandforce controller.. also do i have to buy extra controller to be able to use a sandforce based ssd?

well based on the screenshot you already have 3 decent controllers.

1. Intel's ICH10R, my personal favorite, and the fastest SATA 3 Gbit/s controller
2. Marvell's 912x SATA 6 Gbit/s add-on chip (pretty good performance, but still no TRIM support with their actual driver)
3. JMicron's JMB36x SATA 3Gbit/s add-on chip (a fairly low-end addon chip usually used for eSATA on these types of boards)

of those, the Intel would be my choice to connect an SSD too, but if you really needed faster Sequential Reads, you could connect a C300 to the Marvell...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Quote:

View Post

GMan has a very valid point but I will admit that I dropped the ball not looking at his system. Right now, I am booting with the C300 64Gb on a Rampage III Gene so I probably don't have to say more eheheh.

I can say that one cannot tell the difference between this drive, the Intel X25, or either of the OWC regular or RE drives with respect to visible performance. The only thing you are getting with the C300 is the comfort of being a bit futureproof.

There is a price consideration though and I have to admit that his descriptors of the smallest and incredibly fast drive fit the bill with the OWC at $109.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts