Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much would cooling just my cpu cost? maybe cooling a gts 250 in the future, or possibly a gtx 260. since i know to stay away from premade kits, what would i need to get started on a decent cpu loop? im looking to overclock to maybe 3.5 if thats reasonable for water...
ps: i want to keep my pc as quiet as possible

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
You can do 3.5ghz on air and be just as quiet as a loop. A good heatsink with a low speed fan should be plenty and inaudible. I had a low speed scythe S-flex on a True pushing my quad to 3.4-3.5ghz with reasonably good temps.

If you want to watercool your cpu anyways, it will cost around $200-300 for both cpu and gpu depending on if you buy used or new and a couple of other things. Check out some of the stickies, there are a ton of "best recommended loops" threads.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
man...thats way out of my budget lol
i thought just for cooling my cpu it would be around 150

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
With just a average E8### you can do well over 4Ghz with a decent HSF.

I had a EO 8500 a couple of weeks ago and I drilled out a stock HSF to fit on studs and threw that on it and was getting around 4.3Ghz easily with it, it was getting hot when I loaded it up of course, middle to high 50C's, but a good HSF would of held it pretty well at a safe temp.

It did remind me why I started water cooling in the first place..

Hey you can just buy a good part here and there till you have a loop set up. Thats the way I do a lot of my cooling gear. Looking around for used parts can save quite a bit to.

But don't go to cheap on WC"ing gear, it just wont perform the way it should, and if you go to cheap some of the gear is actually dnagerous to use.

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ltulod View Post
my water cooling set up is getting out of hand. I must stop looking at nice system on ocn. grrrr.....
HaHa..
..Sounds like the bug has bite you.Your doomed, doomed...
...It never gets better, only worse.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ira-k
View Post

HaHa..
..Sounds like the bug has bite you.Your doomed, doomed...
...It never gets better, only worse.

Seconded. If only I could go back and never buy a desktop. Oh, the time and money I would have saved...

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 500sd
View Post

man...thats way out of my budget lol
i thought just for cooling my cpu it would be around 150

Get creative and you can do it for that. Again I say,look for used parts. If you can go external, use a heatercore, they are an excellent Rad for $20. Of course to do this you need to know your way around the tool shed or have someone who does help you.

Heatercore $20
used block $ 40
used pump $60
Misc hardware, tubing,zip ties for clamps, You can get all that for under $30

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fstfrddy
View Post

Get creative and you can do it for that. Again I say,look for used parts. If you can go external, use a heatercore, they are an excellent Rad for $20. Of course to do this you need to know your way around the tool shed or have someone who does help you.

Heatercore $20
used block $ 40
used pump $60
Misc hardware, tubing,zip ties for clamps, You can get all that for under $30

This is exactly what I would do if I were you. You start with a good used pump and a good used block, find them used if possible.
Then you run down to autozone and get a Bonneville heater core. (gonna have to figure out the barbs but NP.) Slap some fans on it and get some tubing and some zipties you should be able to do all that super cheap and have a decent loop with decent temps!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts