Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, with my engeenering degree I could design a extremely efficient watercooling system, but I do not have the time to design, build and implement. So I submit to the tender mercies of this forum my need for a complete watercooling kit. Price is not an obstacle, but would like to keep it between $150 - $250.

It is for an Athlon64 cpu, a GeForce FX5900xt (about to be flashed up). I am not afraid of making holes in my new case.

What is what I want?

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slow'puter

Ok, with my engeenering degree I could design a extremely efficient watercooling system, but I do not have the time to design, build and implement. So I submit to the tender mercies of this forum my need for a complete watercooling kit. Price is not an obstacle, but would like to keep it between $150 - $250.

It is for an Athlon64 cpu, a GeForce FX5900xt (about to be flashed up). I am not afraid of making holes in my new case.

What is what I want?

The watercooling guide will insturct you as to how to build a watercooling untit withing your budget, actually with $250 you should be able to get an awesome waterblock.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
This is what I would go with:

DangerDen TDX block: $50
DD double heatercore with shroud: $50
DD round resevoir: $25
DD Maze 4 gpu block: $40
Mag 3 pump: $35
2 120mm fans: $20
Tubing: $10
Clamps/fittings/etc. $10

Total: $240 plus shipping

www.DangerDen.com

• Rep+
Reactions: slow'puter

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So...
: all of the sudden, the fear of a leak inside my case, all over the motherboard becomes a possible reality. If I am going the watercooling way, I must reduce the number of fittings inside the case. So far it would be 2 for the cpu, 2 for the gpu and 2 for the radiator.

So my question is, what about a "prepacked" kit? Like the one from Zalman? Could I expand it with an added GPU block and "Y" fittings to meet my needs?

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
Check out the water cooling guide if you're new to water cooling...

The koolance or zalman or whatever kits don't perform very well. I wouldn't bother, not even worth the price. And don't worry about leaks too much. If you have the tubing all the way on the hose barb, you have it clamped down, and you leak test for 24 hours when it's all together, you should not have any problems.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was my assessment after thinking a bit. I am going with the DD kit Lando suggested.

TDX CPU block
Maze4 GPU block
120mm fan, 4 pin connector
Round reservoir
Tubing, ½†ID, clear plastic, anticorrosive
Double heater core with fan shroud
Brass top for TDX block
Eheim 1048 pump
Clamps, ½â€
Fittings, ½â€
Y-fittings, ½â€

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

That was my assessment after thinking a bit. I am going with the DD kit Lando suggested.

TDX CPU block
Maze4 GPU block
120mm fan, 4 pin connector
Round reservoir
Tubing, ½†ID, clear plastic, anticorrosive
Double heater core with fan shroud
Brass top for TDX block
Eheim 1048 pump
Clamps, ½â€
Fittings, ½â€
Y-fittings, ½â€

That's gonna be a nice system Slowputer. If I may, I would suggest against the Eheim 1048. Since you are going to cool the gpu also, I would go with a little more pump personally. The 1048 doesnt work too well with 1/2'' tubing either(not as well as most). You can get a Mag 3 pump at Petsmart for about $35. The other pumps that I would recommend are the Eheim 1250 and the Hydor L30. Both cost around $50 and are very good performers.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My problem was the Mag3. Now that I know where to get it, it that's the pump to have. I might even get the tubing for free, as we use it at work.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For those of you who are following this thread, my watercooling setup was ordered yesterday, and the order confirmed today.

I am exited about this. I just hope the double core heater is not too big. Pump goes inside the case, reservoir to the side, all nice an neat. When all is installed, I'll post pics.

Thanks to Lando for pointing me in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
Quote:

For those of you who are following this thread, my watercooling setup was ordered yesterday, and the order confirmed today.

I am exited about this. I just hope the double core heater is not too big. Pump goes inside the case, reservoir to the side, all nice an neat. When all is installed, I'll post pics.

Awesome 'Puter! Where do you plan on putting the heatercore? Yeah, it is pretty big, but there are many things you can do with it. I don't know what kind of case you have, but in some cases, it can be mounted in the front lower section, or you can mount it on the top of the case, or just put it right behind the case. When your parts come in, just make sure to hook everything up and leak test, leak test, leak test. It is recommended to run it for 24hours. I was too excited to wait that long, and I leak tested for about, ohh, 30 minutes...lol Good thing I have NEVER had a leak. Good to see another water cooler, you won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As for a case, I have a RaidMax Scorpio 868. From the pics I have been looking at, I wanted to place the condenser (that is what it is) under the drive bays, where I have space for a 80mm 2x2 arrangement of fansin the front of the case. The 120mm should fit nicely, but for some reason, I suspect that this core I got will be long, with the 2 120mm fans side by side.

On the upside, I could fabricate a box to be placed under the case, the inlet and outlet of the core going into the case either from behind, or by making 2 holes on the bottom of the case.

Anyway, I can't wait for the stuff to get here. Got the Mag3 from a live coral dealer, was cheaper than everywhere else. Petsmart wanted almost 50 bucks, I got mine for 39.

Again, any insight you or anyone else could provide will be very helpful. It has been 1 month since I have this computer and I do not want to "short: the mobo just yet.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
If it's not a full tower case, then the hc will not fit inside. I like the box under the case idea, with the tubes going through the bottom of the case. When you get your parts in, just do a mock setup in your case so you can figure out the tubing lengths. Then hood everything up outside the case, on your kitchen table or something like that. Put paper towels under each component so you can see if there are any leaks.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, with 4 5.25" and 2 3.5" bays, and the 2x2 80mm fan space, I would call it mid tower. Anyway, building something for the core will be fun.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
hope i'm not too late, but i've found a particularly interesting pump, excellent gpm and 8 feet of head. it's the rio 1400... here's a link: http://www.customaquatic.com/customa...id=WP-TMPH1400
I think it'a a really great pump, you prolly've already gotten yours, but to anyone who is gonna get one, i think this is the pump to get.

·
Registered
398 Posts
well DANGER DEN is the top of the line wawa system and if your afraid of leaks dont be just make sure you pretest the system before actualy placing inside the case and you can use fluid xp also its none conductive

http://www.fluidxp.com/

i was also afraid of the water leaking but if you take your time and just double check you'll be ok im using the koolance exo its ok for just a basic overclocking but for extreme ocing DD is the way to go

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by atvkid1090

hope i'm not too late, but i've found a particularly interesting pump, excellent gpm and 8 feet of head. it's the rio 1400... here's a link: http://www.customaquatic.com/customa...id=WP-TMPH1400
I think it'a a really great pump, you prolly've already gotten yours, but to anyone who is gonna get one, i think this is the pump to get.

Yep, got myself a Mag3, and Tuesday the rest arrive. I am ready to assemble and cool this quite hot CPU.

Good price and stats on the 1400.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

One more time, for those following this thread, the watercooling order from Danger Den should arrive today, courtesy of Mr. Blue Pants (FedEx). Will post pics of the construction, destruction, assembly, testing, and such as it happens.

Now need to buy batteries for the digital camera...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts