Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I upgraded from my trusty EVGA 8800 GTS 512 to an Asus Dark Knight Edition 4870.

This one to be exact:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121288

I got it for 100$ after mail in rebate on the egg. One of those special limited quantity deals. I do good yes?

My current Overclock for this card is sitting around. 860 GPU 980 Memory. I don't know anything about ATI cards. Is this a good OC? Anything I should know about being new to ATI?

Thanks,
VEr

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
thats a pretty good OC on the core, if you can, try and get the memory up over 1000mhz, adds a few inches.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xinoxide
thats a pretty good OC on the core, if you can, try and get the memory up over 1000mhz, adds a few inches.
Will do. ATI tool best for stability or furmark or something else?

Quote:

Originally Posted by T3h_Ch33z_Muncha View Post
$100 for a 4870!
should have gotten two!
Wouldn't let me have two. I think I got the last one. Lol

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
now that is one kickass bargain!

i can't believe i got a 4830 for the same price

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by d3v0 View Post
Post what you think of it compared to your old card?
Seems much simpler, actually. To many ins and outs to the nvidia software. CCC has a much better layout, but with less options. Haven't had a chance to get into any real graphics intensive games. My system is 2 fans short at the moment due to one breaking and another crapping out so I'm not wanting to push it to hard. Overclocking seems a bit more difficult. Hoping to get some insight into that bit of this new universe. Fan noise reduction is insane. I can barely hear this thing run. At 60% fan it's barely audible, at 100% is still next to nothing.

Sound good?

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
damn, stock fan on a 4870 ( like in my case ) makes my computer sound like it can vacuum my carpet

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xinoxide
View Post

damn, stock fan on a 4870 ( like in my case ) makes my computer sound like it can vacuum my carpet

That's exactly the way my 8800 GTS sounded. This is heaven. lol

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
$100? AMAZING deal!

·
Premium Member
6,394 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Verrater
View Post

That's exactly the way my 8800 GTS sounded. This is heaven. lol

witht he 4870 i can live with the low fan speed, as long as its not at its stock like.... -11% fanspeed where my gpu stayes 80C. i have my card flashed with a nice ramp, 33% when idle, 44% when heated up nicely. witht he orientation of my rig, i can barely hear it even with completely open headphones.

BUT ANYWAYS, i failed to see where you got the card for $100. HOLY CRAP DUDE.

i read it as $200.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xinoxide
View Post

witht he 4870 i can live with the low fan speed, as long as its not at its stock like.... -11% fanspeed where my gpu stayes 80C. i have my card flashed with a nice ramp, 33% when idle, 44% when heated up nicely. witht he orientation of my rig, i can barely hear it even with completely open headphones.

BUT ANYWAYS, i failed to see where you got the card for $100. HOLY CRAP DUDE.

i read it as $200.

Holy Crap Indeed. lol

Still can't get my clock over 860 Core/ 980 Mem though. Hrmm Maybe its good enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shift.
View Post

$100? AMAZING deal!

Ya!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CallmeRoth
View Post

Welcome to the Red Tide

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,764 Posts
I just spent $145 on that same card last week..... and i thought that was a good deal....
should have waited! I havent even installed it yet as i am waiting on the rest of my i7 system to arrive.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts