Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis;13109568
Cause they are SLCs, meaning they will outlast the user
smile.gif
Revos and current MLC drives have a short lifespan
So what?

By the time my SSD fails a way faster one will be out...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Chief;13109586
So what?

By the time my SSD fails a way faster one will be out...
Well I don't know about you but I don't like wasting money so I would prefer to have a drive that lasts me years, rather than a drive that could potentially last me just one to three years. I don't have money to burn and I think buying a substandard drive just for speed is false economy.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The way things are going at the moment we will end up with drives that are super fast but have really short lifespans a the low end (60-120gb) as they are more and more often using 25nm flash that has a 5k PE cycle or less. I like speed just like everyone else, but I don't want to have to worry about my boot drive, I'd prefer to have a reliable unit for as long as possible
smile.gif

·
Chainsaw noise far off
6,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis;13109663
The way things are going at the moment we will end up with drives that are super fast but have really short lifespans a the low end (60-120gb) as they are more and more often using 25nm flash that has a 5k PE cycle or less. I like speed just like everyone else, but I don't want to have to worry about my boot drive, I'd prefer to have a reliable unit for as long as possible
smile.gif
I would personally get a vertex 3.I also would never keep any single piece of my hardware over 3 years.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsi38t;13109692
I would personally get a vertex 3.I also would never keep any single piece of my hardware over 3 years.
I've had hard drives last me 6 years+ I guess I'm just someone who likes to make stuff last
smile.gif
Hard drives are prob the most recyclable component in a PC and that's why I personally like the longevity bonus of an slc

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis;13109568
Cause they are SLCs, meaning they will outlast the user
smile.gif
Revos and current MLC drives have a short lifespan
No, SLC SSDs will not outlast most users. Rated PE cycles and MTBF are NOT life expectency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis;13109663
smile.gif
60GB SSDs will still take about 4-5 years to use up the 4GB spare space under typical heavy usage. This is even on 25nm NAND with 3000 PE. You are overblowing the issue of PE.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damarious25;13109745
ummmm, I pretty sure my SSDs will last more then a year. jus sayin...
Oh they will, if you implement all the tweaks etc. On the other hand I've seen them fail in 9 months with tweaks enabled; as with anything using MLC nand flash it's a gamble

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo;13109755
No, SLC SSDs will not outlast most users. Rated PE cycles and MTBF are NOT life expectency.

60GB SSDs will still take about 4-5 years to use up the 4GB spare space under typical heavy usage. This is even on 25nm NAND with 3000 PE. You are overblowing the issue of PE.
SLCs in a home user environment have 10x the lifespan of an MLC

If you have a program writing and erasing lots of little files (as many do unfortunately) and you don't link those writes and erases to a folder on another drive, your drive can chew through it's cell life very quickly; unless you are a user who is used to tweaking the hell out of all your installs, an MLC can hit corruption and other issues within a year easy, and that's not me just speculating, I've seen it happen first hand on more than one occasion

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
What is with those prices?? 620 euros for a 60 SSD?? I just bought a 50GB OCZ Vertex 2 for $99 Canadian.

Edit: Ah I see longer life span. For 7x the price.....Hmmm I think I'll just tweak my Windows install and treat my current SSD with respect and save the money.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahhova;13109836
What is with those prices?? 620 euros for a 60 SSD?? I just bought a 50GB OCZ Vertex 2 for $99 Canadian.
The prices are silly yeah; they are marketing these SSDs at servers where they will have lots of throughput and need to last. The reason your's was so cheap is that is uses MLC nand flash rather than SLC, amongst other things

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis;13109621
Well I don't know about you but I don't like wasting money so I would prefer to have a drive that lasts me years, rather than a drive that could potentially last me just one to three years. I don't have money to burn and I think buying a substandard drive just for speed is false economy.
I like to use my credit card

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis;13109856
The prices are silly yeah; they are marketing these SSDs at servers where they will have lots of throughput and need to last. The reason your's was so cheap is that is uses MLC nand flash rather than SLC, amongst other things
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Chief;13109915
I like to use my credit card
lol ><,

I went bankrupt when I was 21 so these days I guess I'm a bit of a penny pincher
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis;13109856
And are those features worth 7x the price of a SLC nand flash. Unless your actually running a server why would you buy one of those? That's not sarcasm I really want to know.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahhova;13109953
And are those features worth 7x the price of a SLC nand flash. Unless your actually running a server why would you buy one of those? That's not sarcasm I really want to know.
Personally I think they are a ripoff at the current prices; the tech doesn't cost 7x more and the reason they are priced that high in my view is that they want to be able to maximise on the home user MLC market by making users have to upgrade or replace every now and then; it's called planned obsolescence and I'm not a fan I can tell you.

There are SLCs coming out of Hong Kong that are about 2x the price though the speeds are also 1/2 that of the current £80 SSDs

• Rep+
Reactions: noahhova

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re the lifespan of SSDs, there is a school of thought that says that you can get like 4-8 years out of an MLC, but with that we are talking large writes and erases to blocks averaging 120gb a day or so, which makes sense as largeish writes such as those when installing a program or updating or such are not constant and even those that are, such as with data recorders, don't use up that many blocks as they are making large writes (difficult to explain, but it makes sense in my head lol)

One thing you have to remember is that lots of really small writes can use it up a lot quicker than a few large writes and that's why you have to minimise small writes, including net temp files, windows temp, app updates etc etc.. the small writes aren't as efficient with using the drive and this is what causes swifter degradation in long-term daily use. If like me you have your computer on for about 10 hours a day on average, those little writes and erases can do a lot more than you think, especially if you have a gazillion different apps and cool gadgets doing their thing and the net is going constantly.

I for one certainly wont be going hard-drive-less in the forseeable future and I always keep a system and data backup

1 - 20 of 35 Posts