Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally decided to start my first gaming build. After lots of research (mostly on ocn) I think I have come up with almost all of the parts for my build. I have a budget of about $1200.
The only things i don't need so far are a razer naga mouse. I have a external hdd that I can take apart to use. I am going with the i3 because I want to save up and get Ivy Bridge when it come out.
Here is everything I have picked out so far and I am looking to order it all from newegg unless there is a better deal somewhere else.

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 Sandy Bridge combo LITE-ON DVD Burner - $127.98

Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 combo Windows 7 Home Premium - $244.98

Case: LIAN LI Lancool PC-K63 - just ordered it because I saw that it was on sale for $80
tongue.gif


Monitor: Asus 21.5" Full HD HDMI LED BackLight LCD - $144.99

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 Low Profile - $49.99

GPU: MSI Twin Frozr III PE/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores - $309.99 promocode for $20 off

PSU: XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus Silver 750 Watt Power Supply - $129.99

Disk Drive: combo'd with cpu

OS: combo'd with mobo

HDD: external i am taking apart

SSD: Crucial m4 CT128M4SSD2BAA 2.5" 128GB - $179.99

Keyboard: LITE-ON Standard Keyboard - $11.99

I live no where near a micro center so that is out of the question.
Any input will help a lot and thanks in advance!
cheers.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
i have the same ram, good stuff.

as far as reusing your external hdd, make sures its 7200rpm. generally they put slower drives in them, i wouldnt wanna use a 5400rpm as a main drive.

i'm running a z68 board and Intel SRT with a cheap 40gb ssd. this could be an option til u can afford a bigger sata3 ssd.

i just ordered this Optical drive like 15 mins ago. free shipping. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204&cm_sp=Cat_CD_%26%2347%3b_DVD_Burners_%26%2338%3b_Media-_-Sale-_-27-135-204

and yeah, 560ti is a solid card for ~$200.

i'm pretty sure the 212+ comes with thermal paste so you dont really need to get any.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleachigo View Post

Everything in your list looks good.Here's some suggestions:
PSU = $170
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011
GPU = 220
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162074
Keyboard = $15
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823107008
Oprical drive = $19
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204
Total with your choices above adds up to $1185+taxes and some aren't free shipping.The rebates in there comes out to $45.With your budget,you might have to use that external HDD.You can save another $100 if that Windows Vista that you have is 64bit.
I think i can get a psu for a little cheaper and i cheeked my copy of vista is not 64bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMEnara View Post

i have the same ram, good stuff.
as far as reusing your external hdd, make sures its 7200rpm. generally they put slower drives in them, i wouldnt wanna use a 5400rpm as a main drive.
i'm running a z68 board and Intel SRT with a cheap 40gb ssd. this could be an option til u can afford a bigger sata3 ssd.
i just ordered this Optical drive like 15 mins ago. free shipping. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204&cm_sp=Cat_CD_%26%2347%3b_DVD_Burners_%26%2338%3b_Media-_-Sale-_-27-135-204
and yeah, 560ti is a solid card for ~$200.
i'm pretty sure the 212+ comes with thermal paste so you dont really need to get any.
nope the drived i have is not a 7200rpm but maybe a ssd/ what i have combo till i can afford a real hdd. like what he said
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg1983 View Post

Crucial M4 128 GB cost 189 $ in NewEgg.com= buy that and use the HDD for data:D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,115 Posts
i know where a better mobo deal is:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P8P67-PRO-BO-R&cat=MBB

They're good mobos..i had one..ordered one from here yesterday..
almost gone..
PS: And the slot spacing is good for dual-gpu..unlike the AsRock
(which i am currently considering taking a sledgehammer to..as i look at it and rage..
mad.gif
)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts
Yeah get that motherboard that Schmuckley posted, I bought that same one and it's been running great. For the power supply here are some good choices:

Rosewill Hive 650W $85, from the reviews it seems that it's a good power supply for the money.

NZXT HALE82 650w $73 with promo code and rebate, if I remember right, this is based of a Seasonic platform.

Corsair HX650w $100 after rebate.

XFX PRO750W $100 after rebate, this is also based of a Seasonic platform, and is 80+ Silver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

i know where a better mobo deal is:
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P8P67-PRO-BO-R&cat=MBB
They're good mobos..i had one..ordered one from here yesterday..
almost gone..
PS: And the slot spacing is good for dual-gpu..unlike the AsRock
(which i am currently considering taking a sledgehammer to..as i look at it and rage..
mad.gif
)
I was really going for the asrock. I was under the assumption that it was a great little mobo. I am not planing to do sli anytime soon. Only games I am really looking to play is diablo 3 and what ever catches my eye here and there. Can that one even overclock? I really liked the asrock because it is gen3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank08 View Post

Yeah get that motherboard that Schmuckley posted, I bout that same one and it's been running great. For the power supply here are some good choices:
Rosewill Hive 650W $85, from the reviews it seems that it's a good power supply for the money.
NZXT HALE82 650w $73 with promo code and rebate, if I remember right, this is based of a Seasonic platform.
Corsair HX650w $100 after rebate.
XFX PRO750W $100 after rebate, this is also based of a Seasonic platform, and is 80+ Silver.
considering i am not planing to do CF or sli would any of these be good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139032

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got a question. How do I link my shopping cart for newegg or a wishlist? I also forgot to mention that I won't be able to buy all of the parts till at least February 3rd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim388 View Post

I was really going for the asrock. I was under the assumption that it was a great little mobo. I am not planing to do sli anytime soon. Only games I am really looking to play is diablo 3 and what ever catches my eye here and there. Can that one even overclock? I really liked the asrock because it is gen3.
considering i am not planing to do CF or sli would any of these be good?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139032
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017
Yeah either one of those would be fine, but to me, that Corsair 550w looks a bit overpriced since even after rebates, it's more expensive than the NZXT power supply I linked above.

About the motherboard, yes the Asus one can overclock, I have the same one and I overclocked my 2500k. The Asrock motherboard is good too, but why not save your self a few extra bucks with the Asus, they both have pretty much the same features.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim388 View Post

Got a question. How do I link my shopping cart for newegg or a wishlist? I also forgot to mention that I won't be able to buy all of the parts till at least February 3rd.
Add the items you want to your wishlist on Newegg. Go to the Wishlist tab in Newegg, copy the URL, insert it here
smile.gif
Worked for me as far as I remember
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thinking about going for a i3 2100 to save money for a gtx 560ti 448core and a hdd or ssd. Any thoughts? I would get ib when it comes out and I save up for it. Get some money back by selling the i3 for $90 ish.

edited op
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
i think your looken pretty solid, 448 is the best budget card avail right now.

one thing to consider is that an i5 2500 will likely not bottleneck your system, not sure about an i3, so you wouldnt really see any performance gains for gaming (on most games) by upgrading the cpu later.

unless you plan to use the rig for another purpose that is cpu intensive you may want to skip the i3/ivy upgrade and just get a cpu that will keep up with your gcard from the go. im pretty sure the i3 would leave you a little bit bottlenecked since i see so many i5/i7 gaming builds on OCN.
 

·
Peace!!!
Joined
·
3,288 Posts
How about this

480

OR

480
use the SSD only for installing OS

for OS use this
thumb.gif
when you upgrade to ivy upgrade to windows if u want

Hope that helps
thumb.gif
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top