Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a Skylake i3 for leisure tinkering and OCing, comparing it to my i3-550 (maybe it's last hooray), and experimenting with DDR4 before Broadwell-E without breaking the bank. However, i am unsure whether to get the i3 6100 or 6300 because of the L3 cache, as the 6300 has 1 MB more. Is it really worthwhile?

·
What should be here ?
5,741 Posts
For tinkering, i'd say it'd come down to price. If 1MB is not worth loosing your sleep, I'd take the lesser one. What tinkering would you be doing ?

·
Watercooled Railgun
4,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzug View Post

For tinkering, i'd say it'd come down to price. If 1MB is not worth loosing your sleep, I'd take the lesser one. What tinkering would you be doing ?
All of the OCing i can do on it, or at least until my i3-550 dies if it does not survive, nothing extreme or subzero though. I just want to put to fight the only two i3 CPUs that can be OCed just for the lulz. I don't really plan to spend much, maybe $300-320 tops on the CPU, a mITX motherboard and a 16 GB DDR4-2133/2400 kit. I will be reusing my GTX 470 for most of the benches, and for some things i'd be using my 780 Classy, and other stuff i do already have (PSU, SSD). After my curiosity is sated (and all parts survive), i plan to upgrade my parents PC, as it is using a reaaaally aging E8400 w/ 4 GB DDR2 RAM plus a HD 6450, i'm more than sure a Skylake CPU is an upgrade, even with integrated video.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Go for the 6100, that 1 meg of cache isn't going to make too much of a difference for a nearly 30% increase in price.

·
What should be here ?
5,741 Posts
If overclocking and benching is what you plan to do, wouldn't having less complex components be beneficial for your use case. I read about this a few years back but not sure if it was Cache that was part of the discussion or other components like iGPU. brb, got to go site hunting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts