Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is the build I'm thinking for 1366x768p, and I'm using my TV so please don't suggest on upgrading my monitor or anything
smile.gif

I'm planning to run Anything at Ultra 60fps

Here's the part list:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YXjWGf

I'm pairing a GTX 960 with an I3 6100, would there be any bottleneck ?

And here's what's really making me curious:
In case that the CPU will bottleneck, I saw some testing online that pairing an I3 with faster RAM might deliver better FPS so that's what I'm thinking of doing.

My motherboard is an Asrock H110M-itx http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h110mitxac

which support 2133Mhz DDR4 Memory but also support XMP. I was wondering if I was to pair the I3 with 2666Mhz Ram, would it be possible to run the Ram at 2666Mhz although the Motherboard only state support for 2133Mhz and gain performance ?

And would this build be enough for my hope of maxing everything ?

Kinda made it a messy post, thanks in advance guys
thumb.gif

·
Top kek
3,575 Posts
This is seriously over kill for this resolution. There is no point in having GTX 960 for 720p. You can do ultra @60fps with GTX 950 or R9 270x at this resolution.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337LutZ View Post

I agree with the post above.

And no, the i3 will not bottleneck any single card setup afaik (when the cpu is overclocked).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku4eto View Post

This is seriously over kill for this resolution. There is no point in having GTX 960 for 720p. You can do ultra @60fps with GTX 950 or R9 270x at this resolution.
I know it will be overkill for 720p but technically 768p is more demanding and the 950 only have 2gb of vram so I'm afraid it will choke with mods or something. I could be wrong though. But by 60fps I mean the minimum fps not just average cause dipping frame is rather annoying. And somehow Witcher 3 with hair work is gonna break the 60fps limit I feel. I'll definitely check back on the 950 though, also considering it if 960 is too overkill.

And I don't thinkI can OC the i3 since it's not unlocked and the weird OC for non K SKU chip isn't available for my board I think, and not in a mini itx case and stock cooler that I'll be using.

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogito View Post

I know it will be overkill for 720p but technically 768p is more demanding and the 950 only have 2gb of vram so I'm afraid it will choke with mods or something. I could be wrong though. But by 60fps I mean the minimum fps not just average cause dipping frame is rather annoying. And somehow Witcher 3 with hair work is gonna break the 60fps limit I feel. I'll definitely check back on the 950 though, also considering it if 960 is too overkill.

And I don't thinkI can OC the i3 since it's not unlocked and the weird OC or non K SKU isn't available for my board I think, and not in a mini itx case and stock cooler that I'll be using.
With a 960 you shouldnt be bottlenecked and i think you can BCLK overclock Skylake processors.

Either way, you can take a 960 to be safe, if not, just return it?

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
2gb or 4gb on the lower ends cards will be maxed out before you ever hit the ram limit.
With playing at that lower res, your CPU will start to do most of the work.

What is the TV you actually got?
I know some TV you can set custom to run 1920x1080. I did that on my 720p TV.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337LutZ View Post

With a 960 you shouldnt be bottlenecked and i think you can BCLK overclock Skylake processors.

Either way, you can take a 960 to be safe, if not, just return it?
Yea I was talking about the BCLK method, I don't think my seup can go with it. And maybe I'll stick to the 960 just in case I upgrade the tv to 1080p. But do you think stuff like Witcher 3 HW can do min 60fps on the 950 ?

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Quote:

Yea I was talking about the BCLK method, I don't think my seup can go with it. And maybe I'll stick to the 960 just in case I upgrade the tv to 1080p. But do you think stuff like Witcher 3 HW can do min 60fps on the 950 ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Dheq3YFTI According to this video not.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Btw, can anyone help me with the xmp thing ? Since it would be nice to be able to run RAM at 2666MHz without the need of an Z170 Mobo.

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
Quote:

Btw, can anyone help me with the xmp thing ? Since it would be nice to be able to run RAM at 2666MHz without the need of an Z170 Mobo.
You can do that, if you look at the Asrock H110M-itx only supports max 2133.
To set XMP in bios look at the memory settings to select XMP.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33d Junki3 View Post

You can do that, if you look at the Asrock H110M-itx only supports max 2133.
To set XMP in bios look at the memory settings to select XMP.
I know it can only support 2133MHz that's why I'm asking. I saw somewhere that by using Intel extrem memory technology XMP it allows to run the memory at the correct speed which in this case is 2666MHz, I was wondering if it would allow me to run the ram at 2666MHz even though my Mobo only support 2133MHz.

So to summarize, will using XMP allow me to run Ram at 2666MHz even though my Mobo only support 2133MHz ?

·
RPG Gamer
4,224 Posts
Going to 2600 from 2133 wont notice much for performance. 2 things can happen, board will just downclock to 2133 which could be some instability or just fail to boot.
The bios is locked to that as going higher you need better board that supports the higher speed.
H110M-itx is not meant to OC with, it is basic board without the proper mosffets and power requires to run higher ram.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp33d Junki3 View Post

Going to 2600 from 2133 wont notice much for performance. 2 things can happen, board will just downclock to 2133 which could be some instability or just fail to boot.
The bios is locked to that as going higher you need better board that supports the higher speed.
H110M-itx is not meant to OC with, it is basic board without the proper mosffets and power requires to run higher ram.
That clears up a lot. Thanks so much
smile.gif

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Would I need the 2gb or 4gb version of the 960 if I'm only playing at 768p or 720p ? Are there any games that can utilize more than 2gb of vram at that resolution ?

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Quote:

Would I need the 2gb or 4gb version of the 960 if I'm only playing at 768p or 720p ? Are there any games that can utilize more than 2gb of vram at that resolution ?
Im not sure. I would however spend the extra few bucks for a 4gb, incase you'd ever go 1080.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Forget 960, waste of money. Wait for rx 480 instead.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciferxy View Post

Forget 960, waste of money. Wait for rx 480 instead.
Thought of that too but unfortunately the rx480 is exactly 1.5 time the price of the 960 in my country. I asked around the fee retail stores that got access to them. And besides that would be way overkill for 768p if recent leaks are to be believed. Kinda interested in the 470 though but they're still not here.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Quote:

Thought of that too but unfortunately the rx480 is exactly 1.5 time the price of the 960 in my country. I asked around the fee retail stores that got access to them. And besides that would be way overkill for 768p if recent leaks are to be believed. Kinda interested in the 470 though but they're still not here.
if that's the case, better wait longer for that 470 or go for 1060 / 1050 if they are released. No point in buying older generation nvidia card from now on. They tend to neglect driver support for older gen cards.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts