Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been following this guide to overclock my i3. I have been working on step 1 trying to find my max Bclock Frequency. Yesterday I got my bclock up to 210. I stopped playing with it as I wanted to play some games. I went back to it today and started over again in the process and the highest I can get the bclock is 185.

Here is what I did and it posted and passed a IBT.

Quote:
Ai Overclock Tuner .................. [Manual]
CPU Ratio Setting .................... [12]
Intel SpeedStep Tech .............. [Disabled]
Xtreme Phase Full Power Mode ... [Enabled]
BCLK Frequency ...................... [185]
DRAM Frequency ..................... [on lowest ram setting I can put it at]
QPI Frequency................:[Auto]

DRAM Timing Control: Auto
1st
CAS# Latency : x
RAS# to CAS# Delay : x
RAS# Precharge : x
RAS# ActivateTime : x
RAS# to RAS# Delay : Auto
Row Refresh Cycle Time : Auto
Write Recovery Time : Auto
Read to Precharge Time : Auto

CPU Differential Amplitude ............ [Auto]
CPU Clock Skew ......................... [Auto]

CPU Voltage Mode ...................... [Auto]
Offset Voltage ........................... [Auto]
Fixed Voltage ............................. [Auto]
IMC Voltage .............................. [1.3]
Dram Voltage ............................. [Auto]
CPU PLL Voltage ......................... [Auto]
PCH Voltage .............................. [Auto]

Load-Line Calibration .................. [Enabled]
CPU Spread Spectrum ................. [Auto]
PCIE Spread Spectrum ................ [Auto]
Once I try to bump up any higher it doesn't even post. What am I doing wrong or am I following the wrong guide?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts

X.M.P

i just tried overclocking my i3 and i couldnt get nothing with Manual. I switched over to XMP and it worked

disabled.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
maybe you should put your vcore at a specific voltage instead of auto????? just a suggestion. try what i mentioned first. good luck. gonna keep an eye on this thread cuz im gonna overclock my i3 in a few weeks

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Don't follow that guide, these chips are too easy to overclock.

Try this:

CPU Ratio Setting .................... [22]
BCLK Frequency ...................... [165]
DRAM Frequency ..................... [x8]
QPI Frequency................:[x40]

1st
CAS# Latency : auto
RAS# to CAS# Delay : auto
RAS# Precharge : auto
RAS# ActivateTime : auto

CPU Voltage Mode ...................... [whatever stock is]
Offset Voltage ........................... [disable]
Fixed Voltage ............................. [manual]
IMC Voltage .............................. [1.2]
Dram Voltage ............................. [whatever it's rated at]

Load-Line Calibration .................. [disabled]
CPU Spread Spectrum ................. [disabled]
PCIE Spread Spectrum ................ [disabled]

·
Premium Member
3,756 Posts
First thing, dont keep your voltages on Auto

What are you trying to overclock to by the way? Also, looks like you are underclocking with that 12x CPU ratio.

Edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlitos714 View Post

disabled.
Yes disable those..

On a side note, I am able to get mY I3 530 to 4Ghz at 20x200 at 1.31v and RAM running at 1600 on 1.6v. I think my IMC is ~1.2v and PCH at 1.85v

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
to op or anyone else. when you are trying to find your max BCLK Frequency do you just load into windows or do you do a stress test (LinX, prime, IBT, etc) at that specific BCLK Frequency?

• Rep+
Reactions: codyh

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by AyeYo View Post
Don't follow that guide, these chips are too easy to overclock.

Try this:

CPU Ratio Setting .................... [22]
BCLK Frequency ...................... [165]
DRAM Frequency ..................... [x8]
QPI Frequency................:[x40]

1st
CAS# Latency : auto
RAS# to CAS# Delay : auto
RAS# Precharge : auto
RAS# ActivateTime : auto

CPU Voltage Mode ...................... [whatever stock is]
Offset Voltage ........................... [disable]
Fixed Voltage ............................. [manual]
IMC Voltage .............................. [1.2]
Dram Voltage ............................. [whatever it's rated at]

Load-Line Calibration .................. [disabled]
CPU Spread Spectrum ................. [disabled]
PCIE Spread Spectrum ................ [disabled]
Thanks for the help so far. I did what you told me to here and then ran 5 iterations of IBT and it passed. So From here is it just a matter of raising the bclock up by 10 and running IBT or what should I be doing?

+rep for all the help.

Quote:

to op or anyone else. when you are trying to find your max BCLK Frequency do you just load into windows or do you do a stress test (LinX, prime, IBT, etc) at that specific BCLK Frequency?
I was loading into windows and running IBT each time I raise up the bclock. One thing the guide never mentioned is what the qpi frequency should be set at so I was just leaving it at auto. More than likely it was more geared for another mobo.

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
^Yes, up the BCLK to 175mhz, retest. I didn't need to add vcore with my chip until I went over 3.8ghz, YMMV. If you get an error in IBT, up vcore a notch and retry. If the computer freezes, up VTT a notch and retry. When you're 10 runs stable, up it to 180mhz, rinse and repeat. Up it to 185mhz, rinse and repeat. Up to 190mhz, etc. When you get over 3.8ghz, don't jump the BCLK up too much per attempt otherwise you're going to be battling instability caused by a bunch of different things at once and you'll frustrate yourself trying to isolate it. Take the BCLK up as slowly as you can tolerate, the slower you go, the easier and faster you'll be able to isolate and fix problems.

When you get to 195mhz, drop the QPI multiplier down to the x36 and that's where it'll stay for the rest of your OC'ing. Keep it as close to 8000 as you can without going over, it's very hard to get over 8000 stable 24/7.

If you get a 101 BSOD, you're vcore is off by a decent amount. When you start getting just errors IBT, you're vcore is low but pretty close.

When you get a freeze, your VTT is way off. When you get a 124 BSOD, it's low but getting closer to stable. A freeze could also be memory related, but with the setting I gave you you'll be under rated speed until you go over 200mhz BCLK, so no worries there.

As a note: You MAY need to drop down to the x21 CPU multiplier. These chips take significantly less voltage on the x21 than the x22. I can do 4.4ghz on the x21 at the same vcore I do 4.3ghz at on the x22. But, until you get near maxing your voltage out (1.40v BIOS with LLC disabled), don't worry about this and keep in on the x22 for simplicity's sake.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Quote:

Honestly, there's really no reason to find your max BCLK frequency with these chips. The OC'ing process is just too easy.

Fact of the matter is, after you spend all that time and effort searching out max BCLK, when you actually ramp everything else up to match it... suddenly that max BCLK doesn't work anymore. So why not just dive right in from the start?

Start with the settings I provided, or maybe even a 155 BCLK. Check stability, increase vcore and VTT as/if needed, and then keep upping the BCLK 10mhz at a time, rinse and repeat. So easy a caveman's dog could do it.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Honestly, there's really no reason to find your max BCLK frequency with these chips. The OC'ing process is just too easy.

Fact of the matter is, after you spend all that time and effort searching out max BCLK, when you actually ramp everything else up to match it... suddenly that max BCLK doesn't work anymore. So why not just dive right in from the start?

Start with the settings I provided, or maybe even a 155 BCLK. Check stability, increase vcore and VTT as/if needed, and then keep upping the BCLK 10mhz at a time, rinse and repeat. So easy a caveman's dog could do it.

Thanks again AyeYo. Been a huge help. I am guessing I want to try and keep my ram speed around 1600mhz, or as close to it as I can?

·
Premium Member
4,386 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by codyh View Post
Thanks again AyeYo. Been a huge help. I am guessing I want to try and keep my ram speed around 1600mhz, or as close to it as I can?
Read my edited post, I didn't see you post the first time around.

For simplicity, yea, just keep it at or under 1600mhz. Worry about it later. The memory controller on these chips is crappy and there's no real-world gain to be had over 1600mhz.

Oh, and 10 runs is just for testing. When you're where you think you want to be, run it at least 100 runs at max memory before you call it stable.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Read my edited post, I didn't see you post the first time around.

For simplicity, yea, just keep it at or under 1600mhz. Worry about it later. The memory controller on these chips is crappy and there's no real-world gain to be had over 1600mhz.

Oh, and 10 runs is just for testing. When you're where you think you want to be, run it at least 100 runs at max memory before you call it stable.
Thanks again AyeYo. Cant believe I spent over a full day following that guide to find out it is way simpler then that.

I had my bclock up to 195 and voltage at 1.4 at 22x but it still wasn't stable. I dropped it down to 21 and it ran 10 iterations and passed. I still plan on going further but stopped here for now.

With my water cooling is 1.4v the max I should go on the cpu or is it safe to go higher?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Water cooling or not doesn't really matter, anything over 1.40v isn't safe. Over the max is over the max.

What was your stability problem at 195x22?
I was getting BSOD.

Here is what it looks like now.

Here is a few benchmarks where I am sitting at now.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

That voltage is quite a bit for 4.2ghz, although I suppose you could have a bum chip. Have you tried dialing it down a little?
No I haven't. I figured I would leave it there and go as far as I can with with a 21x mult. Then once I get that figured out I will dial it down.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Man those things look fun to play with. I'm going to have to get one just to toy around with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts