Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm pretty new at this and I just built a budget gaming rig for a friend and I've been having some serious freezing trouble. It started almost immediately after the build and it seems to be getting worse. The rig is mostly for SWTOR, but the freezing happens all the time, especially, oddly enough, when I try to browse OCN pages.

I've tried adjusting the RAM speed and some of the power setting in BIOS, removed RAM sticks, put them in different slots, loaded the optimized BIOS settings, and a few other things all to no avail. Nothing has been OC'd, so it's not a stability issue. It just seems like it could be anything, mobo, SSD, PSU, RAM . . who knows . . help please!

Hardware :
Core i5 -2400
Stock Cooler - no OC
Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
Sapphire Radeon HD-6870
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Corsair Vengance 8GB 1600 RAM
Corsair CX600 PSU

·
Registered
3,368 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried setting the RAM to 1600 in BIOS, stock setting was 1333, but it didn't make a difference. CAS and timing are all correct. Haven't tried a fresh install, but I guess that's next. Do you think a BIOS update would help?

Edit : Had RAM running @1600 and tried to restart and it froze, chrome was open and the screen said it ran out of memory? Not sure if these are related, but that was an odd time to freeze for sure.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
Check to see if one is available as I know with my gigabyte board they had some memory controller updates in a bios flash a few rev. ago. Worth a shot. I use @bios to do my bios updates- less chance of stuffing things up
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think my bios is 2 revisions old, I'll try a fresh windows install and then that and report back. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just did the fresh install of windows and it didn't help. I'll try the IMC voltage adjust and then update the bios I guess. I'm just really worried that if it freezes while bios is updating that I wont be able to recover it, or at least that's how I understand the risks of flashing your bios. Anybody have any tips for updating bios when the OS isn't stable? Thanks for the help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts