Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Could'nt help myself so sold my 2500k and put a wee bit of extra cash to the hope of a nice oc-able 2500k.
So far it's paid off as with my last i had come down to 4.3ghz, it was a crap clocker.

Just got a new chip today and i'm using my sigrig.

So far i'm at 4.8ghz with 1.415v vcore in bios, cpuz shows average of around 1.42v dropping occasionally and 1.44 at max here and there at load with ibt stress test.
How's this sound?
I plan keeping at this oc 24/7 so i will allways be at 4.8ghz and while browsing the web cpuz shows 1.408v, so it will be at 1.408v all it's life.
How's that sound?

Idle temps are around 28/30c
Any lower vcore or lower llc gives lower ibt scores, gives around 120 ibt score
338
Have included a pic of my temps.

I'm going to stop here though untill i get some answers as i would'nt want to kill my chip the same day i got it, but i am well aware of the risk's, i'm a ocslave though lol.
5 runs of ibt was enough to see it booting, if my vcore is acceptable i'll go onto more stress testing with prime and ibt.

Obviously i need the extra speed as i 1080p 3d game using sli and i see drops caused by cpu/bad game coding, a lower clock still gives lower fps though so in these instances a 4.8ghz would squash fps drops mostly or alltogether.

Thanks for any guidence you can give me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahi View Post

your temps and the vcore are too high for 24/7 try to lower the vcore try 1.35
Thanks for the advice.
So i'm at..
4.7ghz
1.370v/1.350v idle and load is 1.380v-ish, max i've seen with extreme llc preset is spikes of 1.394v at ibt load.
Any less on the volts gives lower ibt scores.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahi View Post

your temps and the vcore are too high for 24/7 try to lower the vcore try 1.35
What makes you say that? Could you please fill in your system spec, instructions on how to do that is in my sig.

@OP

Keep the temps below 85c while stress testing and the voltage below 1.5v. Just a note about IBT, it's temps are about 10c higher in comparison to Prime and the load voltage is a little higher as well. Nothing will stress the cpu more than prime, therefore the temps are probably around 65-70c, IBT just goes crazy and I don't like using it for that reason. Try using Prime95 blend test instead, if you're testing stability I would recommend setting it to a custom test with 80-90% of your available RAM.

One more thing, to get the voltage to drop with the multiplier, try using offset voltage in combination with C1E and Speedstep.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahi View Post

your temps and the vcore are too high for 24/7 try to lower the vcore try 1.35
They are pretty good temps IMO . . You may be able to get 5.0Ghz but it can require quite a bit of juice.

I wouldn't go over 1.47v for 24/7 and max safe temps are 80c.

Nice OC.
smile.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by munaim1 View Post

What makes you say that? Could you please fill in your system spec, instructions on how to do that is in my sig.
@OP
Keep the temps below 85c while stress testing and the voltage below 1.5v. Just a note about IBT, it's temps are about 10c higher in comparison to Prime and the load voltage is a little higher as well. Nothing will stress the cpu more than prime, therefore the temps are probably around 65-70c, IBT just goes crazy and I don't like using it for that reason. Try using Prime95 blend test instead, if you're testing stability I would recommend setting it to a custom test with 80-90% of your available RAM.
One more thing, to get the voltage to drop with the multiplier, try using offset voltage in combination with C1E and Speedstep.
Thanks

I noticed ibt had a higher temp then prime at load, i'll move to prime then, i was using ibt to see how many gflops i was gaining per 100mhz .
I do'nt like offset. I killed a brand new cpu using it for my first time, i'll never know what i done exactly lol but i canged offset voltage and teh pc never rebooted, i had a fried cpu, once bitten twice shy, i stay well clear.
This is why i want to keep it at 4.8ghz or something 24/7.
I'm pretty sure possibly the chip will do 4.9ghz at 1.47v but hey, i can't replace it for another few month so caution to the wind.

Just done a benchmark with dirt 3 and the part where i was getting fps drops and low sli usage with vsync off , something like 60/70% gpu sli i now get 90/95%gpu sli usage
wink.gif
in those bad parts and 100% all other times, 4.7ghz rocks
smile.gif


I have'nt done any solid stress testing yet, dirt3works with 100% sli and nearly 100% cpu, no issues, i'll go for the stress later when i have more time.

Allso, what does the lower scores in ibt mean with lower volts, i can reproduce the issue so it is volts, fair enough i've only done a tiny bit of stress testing but i take it the lower score IS down to the lower volts? as if i drop volts more i blue screen.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcSlave View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by munaim1 View Post

What makes you say that? Could you please fill in your system spec, instructions on how to do that is in my sig.
@OP
Keep the temps below 85c while stress testing and the voltage below 1.5v. Just a note about IBT, it's temps are about 10c higher in comparison to Prime and the load voltage is a little higher as well. Nothing will stress the cpu more than prime, therefore the temps are probably around 65-70c, IBT just goes crazy and I don't like using it for that reason. Try using Prime95 blend test instead, if you're testing stability I would recommend setting it to a custom test with 80-90% of your available RAM.
One more thing, to get the voltage to drop with the multiplier, try using offset voltage in combination with C1E and Speedstep.
Thanks

I noticed ibt had a higher temp then prime at load, i'll move to prime then, i was using ibt to see how many gflops i was gaining per 100mhz .
I do'nt like offset. I killed a brand new cpu using it for my first time, i'll never know what i done exactly lol but i canged offset voltage and teh pc never rebooted, i had a fried cpu, once bitten twice shy, i stay well clear.
This is why i want to keep it at 4.8ghz or something 24/7.
I'm pretty sure possibly the chip will do 4.9ghz at 1.47v but hey, i can't replace it for another few month so caution to the wind.

Just done a benchmark with dirt 3 and the part where i was getting fps drops and low sli usage with vsync off , something like 60/70% gpu sli i know get 90/95%gpu sli usage
wink.gif
, 4.7ghz rocks
smile.gif


I have'nt done any solid stress testing yet, dirt3works with 100% sli and nearly 100% cpu, no issues, i'll go for the stress later when i have more time.
I too was a weary when it came to using offset, especially when grunion experienced this 'bug', it caused overvoltage when switching between offset and manual which in turn killed cpu's left right and center, however I think they may have sorted the bug with all the new BIOS reversions. I have been using offset for the last few months and all is working well.

Please read the Asus P67 Z68 thread HERE, scroll down to the "Various Info/Issues About The ASUS P8P67 Series" section and you'll be able to see mine and grunion's quoted post but that was over 8 months ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahi View Post

your temps and the vcore are too high for 24/7 try to lower the vcore try 1.35
Bull crap man.
Im running close to the exact same settings on my sig rig.
1.415Vcore (FIXED not offset) @ level 1 with 48 multiplier and the same exact voltage swings in CPU-z as OP described.
Our load temps are even within 1C.

Have done two burn test over the last two nights for 10 hrs each.
Super stable.

If your not hitting 80 in a burn test then your fine.
My average normal use temps are like 36c
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top