Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so at this point I'm about ready to puke.

I'm really getting sick and tired of trying to overclock this thing and spending weeks trying to get it stable.

First off lets start with my goals.

4.7 GHz
any voltage under 1.5
12 hour Prime95 blend stable using 90% RAM (sandy stable club)
temps under 85* MAX (80 preferably)

Alright next, screenshots. Here is my CURRENT 5 hour stable Prime95 blend settings.

I've ran these settings a few times at around 5 hours I get BSOD 124. I've ran 15+ hours on battlefield 3 with these settings.

Ok so, I've tried MANY things to get this stable and I'm completely unsuccessful apparently. I've tried upping the voltage, lowering the voltage, changing multiplier and upping/lowering voltage, lowering PLL voltage, upping VTT voltage, changing RAM settings, enabling/disabling random things like c3/c6/thermal throttling/PLL overvoltage/c1e ect, ect ,ect... I've basically tried it all and some how I can't get this CPU to run longer then 5 hours on Prime95.

I REALLY NEED HELP!

I don't know why I cant get this stable. I've pumping more then enough voltage for any multiplier I set it to. 1.45 volts for 4.7 GHz I've never seen and I understand all chips are different but there is no way my chip requires more voltage. It must be something else!

I'm lost for words lately and I feel like just giving up. All I want is 4.7 GHz stable. I don't even care for 4.8, 4.9, 5.0 GHz. I just want stability at 4.7.

Please enlighten me with what I could possibly do to make this stable. PLEASE!

Side question: I included my fan screenshot there because I've had a question I needed answered for a while. Is it possible for me to raise those speeds? The side fan of mine seems a bit slow, not sure, but I'd love for them to go faster. The settings they are on is maxed I can go. Full on and level 5. Anyone know?

BTW: I've read almost every post, sandy stable club, all these posts that others make, guides, ect, ect and they don't help. I've tried so much.

System is in sig.

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Flash to the latest available bios, 1.10, load optimized defaults and give it a go again. Set it to the multiplier you want, load up windows in offset voltage mode (try this instead of fixed) with +0mV, and see what load voltage is by running prime95. Then adjust the voltage +/- as necessary. Set load line calibration to the next highest level. I'm not sure how your board works, but if level 5 was the most extreme and doesn't budge at all (sometimes even increases), set it to level 4. My board calls the two highest setting extreme and ultra high I think, and I think I run the ultra high because it works the best. If you're still having stability problems increase the VTT to 1.15v but that shouldn't need to happen.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlells01;15256518
Munaim1; call on line 1.
smile.gif
He's already tried helping me, rofl.

1.10 bios isn't compatible with my mouse/keyboard. I've already tried it.

Also, I've gone to defaults and its perfectly stable, but I want 4.7 GHz. The voltage isn't the issue as I've said. I'm running more then enough volts for 4.7 considering I can run Prime95 at like 1.420 volts at 4.7 GHz. If I changed LLC to anything from level 2 I get way too much voltage spikes. Level 2 is my sweet spot, anything other I get spikes from 0.030-0.050

EDIT: Also tried raising VTT to 1.15

·
Registered
870 Posts
You tried setting that VCCIO to 1.1? That helped me with BSOD x124 every 2-3 weeks and i was passing prime95 12 hours (sandy stable) and intel burn testx5 maximum. Also do you have a setting to enable internal PLL Overvolt? Also i had to bump up my VCORE from 1.325 to 1.330 and no 2-3 week BSODS x124 now. so i guess the best test is real world testing over months. Alot of the time i can tell when a OC isnt stable just when i boot up and see the CPU acting less stable than normal. (Slow from lack of power)

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
So your settings are fine for 15 hours+ during actual real world use? but it fails after 5 hours + on prime?

Who gives a monkeys. It's stable doing what YOU USE IT FOR.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Have you tried enabling spread spectrum? I'd also say raise your LLC and set your cpu voltages using offset voltages. It could be that your chip just isn't capable of being fully stable at 4.7.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I don't mean to offer half-help but I don't know your mobo:( , but I would up the LLC to the highest or next to highest and I would find what people have their C-States set to that have had success. I know with my board that having C3 or C6 auto or enabled I get weird bsod's and you may need to disable some of them.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
This makes me even more happier since I went with Asus as always. My advice would be PLL voltage all the way down to 1,5V or something. I will post some screenshots from my BIOS to give you some reference. This OC passed 24h of regular blend.

Have you considered faulty mem? Try taking off some memorysticks if possible since the blend test is REALLY heavy on memory.

Edit: Them pictures
smile.gif

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave12
View Post

I don't mean to offer half-help but I don't know your mobo
, but I would up the LLC to the highest or next to highest and I would find what people have their C-States set to that have had success. I know with my board that having C3 or C6 auto or enabled I get weird bsod's and you may need to disable some of them.

I can't really change the LLC because like I said I get crazy high voltage spikes and it makes my CPU overheat. Basically if I set my voltage to 1.40 I'd get spikes to like 1.450 or higher. I guess I could give it a try with a lower voltage.

I was told most people keep c3/c6/c1e enabled if you're using fixed voltage. I was told it doesn't affect stability. I haven't tried enabling spread spectrum, I could try that....

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuxi
View Post

This makes me even more happier since I went with Asus as always. My advice would be PLL voltage all the way down to 1,5V or something. I will post some screenshots from my BIOS to give you some reference. This OC passed 24h of regular blend.

Have you considered faulty mem? Try taking off some memorysticks if possible since the blend test is REALLY heavy on memory.

Edit: Them pictures

Thanks for the pics. I tried PLL voltage at 1.5 volts last night and still got BSOD 124...

Haven't considered faulty memory because I really feel like my settings aren't optimized. I've also been using this memory for a while now in games and running stress tests and all that. Seems alright.

·
Premium Member
15,523 Posts
hahysera, try upping the pll voltage in smallest increments possible and keep going up until you reach 1.90v. You should find a sweet spot in the middle of that id of thought.

Also have a look at the 2500k overclocking link in my sig, it has helped some members who are having trouble with stability on SB.

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
What happened to the other thread???? It's not a good idea to create multiple threads, it gets a littel confusing.

Anyway you didn't respond back to my previous post, which was:

Quote:

Originally Posted by munaim1
View Post

Have a little read at this thread, from page 5 post 45:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...ng-help-5.html

If you can follow a similar pattern, then you will see results, however it'll take time. Lets start off with a leaving the vcore where it is and finding a sweet spot for both pll and vtt like the member in that thread I linked above has done, then you can work with the vcore.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

View Post

What happened to the other thread???? It's not a good idea to create multiple threads, it gets a littel confusing.

Anyway you didn't respond back to my previous post, which was:

If you can follow a similar pattern, then you will see results, however it'll take time. Lets start off with a leaving the vcore where it is and finding a sweet spot for both pll and vtt like the member in that thread I linked above has done, then you can work with the vcore.

Munaim1 I've already read that thread about 5 times. My situation isn't like his. I can run prime95, boot, get into windows with any VTT and PLL voltage. I went to 1.5 PLL and it worked. I go to 1.8 PLL and it works. I can lower and raise my VTT aswell.

Quote:

hahysera, try upping the pll voltage in smallest increments possible and keep going up until you reach 1.90v. You should find a sweet spot in the middle of that id of thought.

Also have a look at the 2500k overclocking link in my sig, it has helped some members who are having trouble with stability on SB.

Like I said. I can bring my PLL voltage to 1.5 and it will run Prime95 for hours. Same with having it 1.8 and anywhere in between. Am I supposed to test Prime95 for 5+ hours for every PLL voltage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by $ilent
View Post

Already read this previously.

·
Premium Member
10,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hahysera
View Post

Munaim1 I've already read that thread about 5 times. My situation isn't like his. I can run prime95, boot, get into windows with any VTT and PLL voltage. I went to 1.5 PLL and it worked. I go to 1.8 PLL and it works. I can lower and raise my VTT aswell.

Like I said. I can bring my PLL voltage to 1.5 and it will run Prime95 for hours. Same with having it 1.8 and anywhere in between. Am I supposed to test Prime95 for 5+ hours for every PLL voltage?

no but as you claim you have read the thread 5 times then you wouldn't have missed this post:

Quote:

View Post

actually try this, apparently it's the hardest FFT for sandybridge.

Run a custom prime blend and set the min and max to 1792 and let that run for 15mins and report back. It's a good quick test for stability, however it can also be quite unreliable for some, meaning it can pass 15/20mins or whatever but fail within the next couple mins with same settings second time round.

I would recommend running it a couple times and if it starts showing the inconsistancy then forget the custom blend.

5ghz here we come!!!

Be back in half an hour

Also from not being able to boot up he eventually got prime runnign and then onto stability testing and so forth, a gradual progress.

Also between each change's in the bios you have to use prime blend to see whether or not the change you have made brings a possitive or negative effect. LIke I said it's tedious slow process. If after 'finding' the sweet spot for VTT and PLL you still cannot stabalize it then increase the vcore. If after increasing the vcore you stil cannot stablize it , try skipping that mulitplier, if it still doesn't work then you know what the potential of your chip is as the member in that thread I linked has found:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaCeR123
View Post

After a bunch of "light" stress testing I have have gotten a good picture of what this chip is capable off.

Let me say that this chip unfortunately is not a "golden chip" but did have some great potential.
I can get it stable enough at 5GHz to do prime95 for about an hour and some benchmarking. Unfortunately I have to put 1.5v into the chip and I don't feel comfortable with it, even tho temps were only @ 61 C.

4.9GHz still requires about 1.48V to have prime95 run without errors for an hour.
4.8GHz requires about 1.45v but have not done prime95 for longer than 20 minutes.

4.7GHz takes around 1.38v and I am currently in the process of making this my 24/7 overclock. This is a huge step from the old Gigabyte board, @47 multiplier I needed to use 1.45v and upwards to get it stable.

While I didn't reach my goal of 24/7 "stable", I am still satisfied that I can run some benchmarks @ 5 GHz and I am not too disappointed since in every day use I should not be seeing any difference @ 4.7 or @ 5.0 GHz.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I couldn't get my 2500k stable in blend for a week. Tried it from 4.5 with pll all the way down to 3.8 with no bump.

I would have at least one core error within 10-20 minutes. It was maddening.

So I thought to myself, maybe RAM. Took my 1/3 DIMM out, dropping to only 8GB and suddenly I could bump to 4.5 and run prime as long as I wanted with no errors.

Faulty RAM. Check for that. Everything else worked amazing for me, but I would have program crashes and errors in prime. So the symptoms pointed to an unstable clock...but Windows wasn't really unstable...just high memory applications. Since your problem sounds so similar, check your RAM.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

View Post

no but as you claim you have read the thread 5 times then you wouldn't have missed this post:

Also from not being able to boot up he eventually got prime runnign and then onto stability testing and so forth, a gradual progress.

Also between each change's in the bios you have to use prime blend to see whether or not the change you have made brings a possitive or negative effect. LIke I said it's tedious slow process. If after 'finding' the sweet spot for VTT and PLL you still cannot stabalize it then increase the vcore. If after increasing the vcore you stil cannot stablize it , try skipping that mulitplier, if it still doesn't work then you know what the potential of your chip is as the member in that thread I linked has found:

Alright I just did a 30 min test with those settings and 90% RAM usage. No errors. Now what?

EDIT: Nvm at about 35 mins I got BSOD 124. See this is what I dont get. U told the guy 15 mins, if I woulda closed it at 15 mins I woulda passed. I decided to run it longer and it crashed. At 15 mins I wouldn't have been stable.

Same thing with the sandy stable club. I would be stable if it was required to be 6 hours or so, but after that I crash... Its so frustrating overclockling

1 - 20 of 29 Posts