Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just finished building my new computer adn want to oc

i test out jut changing the multiplier to 45, everything was auto.

I know thats bad so i tried to look up so average voltages and such and got 1.4v @ 4.5ghz

my temps are crazy high i think

40 idle and 80 on load....

I'm using a 212+ with push/pull

my old e8400 wouldn't go higher then 55C i think on load. and was below 39 on idle

computer specs:
gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3
i5 2500k
gskill ripjaw 1600 8gb 9-9-9-24 ddr3
212 plus cooler
cm 690 case
radeon 6850
windows 7 64 bit

I would like to Oc the ram too

i'm not sure what voltage other things should be set at also

mostly everything is on auto right now

·
Registered
643 Posts
People say the limit for 24/7 max temp should be around 80c.
But I can make mine go way higher than that with some stress tests w/o problems.
My highest it went was at 98c. Those are all peak (spike) temps.
If it stays 90c+ all the time then it's a problem.
but going 80c+ with 12 hours test is all fine to me.
It just makes your room and your brain to go overheat more than your cpu without AC, though.

·
Straight Outta Commadore
2,728 Posts
Sounds about right to me. My Mugen 2 is gettting 65-70C at 4.4Ghz @1.31v. With 1.4v and your cooler, I think the temps are fine.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright got it own to 1.33V max temp seems to be 75 but average 68-70 on load

for some odd reason prime95 adn coretemp show my frequency at 3300mhz
and only cpu-z shows it t 4500mhz. anything wrong with that?

cpu-z also shows my cpu voltage at 1.056 whcih is weird.

ran prime95 for 20 minutes just to test and it seems stable will run for 12+hours later tonight.

or ocing ram do i ust raise the it to 1866 and voltage if needed nothing else?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killoverme;14171502
alright got it own to 1.33V max temp seems to be 75 but average 68-70 on load

for some odd reason prime95 adn coretemp show my frequency at 3300mhz
and only cpu-z shows it t 4500mhz. anything wrong with that?

cpu-z also shows my cpu voltage at 1.056 whcih is weird.

ran prime95 for 20 minutes just to test and it seems stable will run for 12+hours later tonight.

or ocing ram do i ust raise the it to 1866 and voltage if needed nothing else?
You get 4.5Ghz overclock and when you put your CPU under load your voltage will drop. Now i really doubt that is stable load overclock. In any case if it turns out to be stable you have a very good chip there. If you BSOD you might wanna set Load-Line Calibration to High or Extreme in bios since that would compensate for your voltage drop and you might be able to stabilaze your overclock.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Don't worry about Core Temp or Prim95 reading your clocks wrong as it's always been that way since the release. I would also use Real Temp instead of Core Temp as so far it produces much more accurate readings for the CPU's temp. Core Temp also tends to have stuck readings at times.

I find OCing the RAM to be rather much more complex than OCing the CPU. From my experience, OCing the RAM would give you very minimal to none performance increase in terms of gaming on an Intel platform. Just to answer your question, you'd require to adjust RAM Latency timings, clock speed and voltages to OC your RAM. I'd personally suggest you to just use the stock timings as per your RAM specs.

I'd say 1.35 vCore is the average voltage needed for 4.5GHz. If you're CPUZ is showing 1.056 then it might be vDroop and I doubt that with those load voltages your system will not BSOD. Use CPUZ to monitor your CPU vCore rather than in BIOS.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Geass;14171614
Don't worry about Core Temp or Prim95 reading your clocks wrong as it's always been that way since the release. I would also use Real Temp instead of Core Temp as so far it produces much more accurate readings for the CPU's temp. Core Temp also tends to have stuck readings at times.

I find OCing the RAM to be rather much more complex than OCing the CPU. From my experience, OCing the RAM would give you very minimal to none performance increase in terms of gaming on an Intel platform. Just to answer your question, you'd require to adjust RAM Latency timings, clock speed and voltages to OC your RAM. I'd personally suggest you to just use the stock timings as per your RAM specs.

I'd say 1.35 vCore is the average voltage needed for 4.5GHz. If you're CPUZ is showing 1.056 then it might be vDroop and I doubt that with those load voltages your system will not BSOD. Use CPUZ to monitor your CPU vCore rather than in BIOS.
I'll leave my RAM for now, too lazy to learn to OC/test it.

Yes I have 1.33 I think, and CPU-Z voltage won't change from 1.056V so it looks stuck. I downloaded the newest version too. **EDIT:nevermind. My cpu-z voltage went up to 1.068V during prime95 and are moving from 1.056 to 1.068 and back.

Do you think my CPU-Z voltage are that low because the motherboard is doing it? Or this Vdroop thing does it matter?

During Prime95:
TouchBIOS says VCore = 1.25V to 1.26V

RealTemp's says 75 max for core 1 and 2 and 70 max for core 3 and 4
*I reseated my heatsink + redid the thermal paste [temps look much better then before but not as low as I want =( ]

also what is Multi Step line load it gives be disable and level 1 to 10...

EDIT set it to level 5: now my touchBIOS says 1.3V and stays constant (sometimes reaches 1.31V)... Wonder if I could get my voltage at 1.26V since it seemed to work without the multistep...

CPU-Z still reads the same 1.056V

·
Registered
145 Posts
CPU-Z reads the wrong voltage on Sandys, you can read the right voltage your chip is getting through EasyTune 6.

And yes, you should be able to set lower voltages if you use load-line.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright 1.31 seems to be the perfect voltage for 4.5GHZ

Done Ocing I guess. Room is so damn hot though. Might invest in a portable AC...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts