Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I do a lot of streaming, and I'd like to get a little bit more out of my processor so I can play more demanding games and not have frame rate or any problems whatsoever.

I'm just wondering how I'd go about it, and if it'd be safe with the rig that I have set up.

My setup:
PSU - OCZ Fatal1ty 750w
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155
CPU - i5 2500k
GPU - GTX560ti
RAM - 16gb Kingston HyperX
HDD - Seagate barr 7200 1tb
Water cooler - Corsair H40

I'm not sure what I could boost it up to without risking the possibility of a failure. The cpu hasn't ever been overclocked, and was installed in May of 2012.

So, in key. How would I go about OCing, and what would be a safe limit to put it to. It seems like people OC all of the time, So it should be safe if done correctly?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
I think the GTX 560 Ti is what's holding you back, not the 2500K at stock.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe I didn't specify,

The 560 ti, when I'm NOT streaming, or recording can max Battlefield 3 if not all games at 720p, and does the job perfectly at 1080.

But when I'm streaming or recording, I'm also running Xsplit while BF3, and that's more load on the CPU, giving me frame rate.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiakurai View Post

Maybe I didn't specify,

The 560 ti, when I'm NOT streaming, or recording can max Battlefield 3 if not all games at 720p, and does the job perfectly at 1080.

But when I'm streaming or recording, I'm also running Xsplit while BF3, and that's more load on the CPU.
Oh yeah, duh. lol I can see now that this was actually fairly obvious from the way you stated it originally, so I apologize for that.

Anyway, overclocking the 2500K is mostly just a matter of increasing the multiplier and also increasing the core voltage if or when it's necessary. However, I don't know what the performance of the H40 is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's some info on it.

^^click

I wouldn't know how to go about OCing as i've never really been interested in it until now, really. I mean, I can look up a 2500k OCing guide, but that more than likely wouldn't be specific to my mobo.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
Corsair's product page makes it sound like it's not for overclocking, but it seems some people are saying that it's a good alternative to a mid-range air cooler. So, you might be able to get to 4.5 GHz, but I don't really know for sure. If you want to begin overclocking, then I recommend creeping up to 4.5 GHz instead of going straight to it. If you reach 4.5, then know that you may need to see a core voltage in Windows of about 1.352V in order for it to have a chance of being stable. Still, watch the temps. If they start approaching 90 fairly easily for some reason, then I would lower the overclock back down to a cooler (and therefore safer) level.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would assume 4.5 is a big jump for OCing, holy hell!

I'm looking at the post that Dark posted. Is that a good guide to go by?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
Quote:

I would assume 4.5 is a big jump for OCing, holy hell!

I'm looking at the post that Dark posted. Is that a good guide to go by?
4.5 GHz for the 2500K is a walk in the park.
wink.gif
Well, it's actually more like a pleasant jog, but still.

I recommend seeking help from people who know how to overclocking the 2500K or 2600K ("Sandy Bridge") with your motherboard.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I were able to get it to 4.0, if not 4.5ghz, Would it run safely there?

Also, I'm looking HERE, and do I go into the bios, plug those settings in and run Prime 95 to see if it's stable? That seems way too easy lol.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
Quote:

If I were able to get it to 4.0, if not 4.5ghz, Would it run safely there?

Also, I'm looking HERE, and do I go into the bios, plug those settings in and run Prime 95 to see if it's stable? That seems way too easy lol.
Yeah, it's so easy that there are even some people who complained that overclocking Sandy Bridge is too easy because they enjoy all of that playtime required for overclocking previous generation CPUs.

So yeah, if you want to try copying some recommended settings and then maybe tweaking from there, then go for it.
smile.gif
Just keep an eye on the voltage and temps.

4.5 GHz should be very safe.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Are these temps bad? Two of the cores are peaking at 79 while the others are 75, but don't stay there for very long.

I really expected some really hard procedure to oc. I just went through and set this up, and tell me if I did anything wrong.

I set the frequency to 4.50

And using these recommended settings :
Vcore = NORMAL
DVID = +.050 (maybe +.060 max...but no more for 4.5GHz)(this setting becomes available when Vcore was set to NORMAL)
QPI/VTT = 1.150
PLL = 1.815
DRAM Voltage = MFG Spec (you may increase voltage just by a little from MFG spec)
Timing = MFG Rated Spec

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
Quote:

Are these temps bad? Two of the cores are peaking at 79 while the others are 75, but don't stay there for very long.

I really expected some really hard procedure to oc. I just went through and set this up, and tell me if I did anything wrong.

I set the frequency to 4.50

And using these recommended settings :
Vcore = NORMAL
DVID = +.050 (maybe +.060 max...but no more for 4.5GHz)(this setting becomes available when Vcore was set to NORMAL)
QPI/VTT = 1.150
PLL = 1.815
DRAM Voltage = MFG Spec (you may increase voltage just by a little from MFG spec)
Timing = MFG Rated Spec
Those temps are good.
smile.gif
Stay out of the 90s though because 98 is the temperature where it's supposed to throttle down automatically in order to protect itself.

What is your core voltage according to CPU-Z? Run Prime95 for a few seconds (or several seconds) to see your full load voltage in CPU-Z.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Says the Core voltage is1.416, And this is the temps as of 23 minutes into the testing. No failures and still running strong

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
Quote:

Says the Core voltage is1.416, And this is the temps as of 23 minutes into the testing. No failures and still running strong
1.416V is much higher than it needs to be. Like I said before, you should probably only need about 1.352V, give or take a tiny bit. This is one of the problems encountered when copying someone's settings. So, lower it.
wink.gif

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

1.416V is much higher than it needs to be. Like I said before, you should probably only need about 1.352V, give or take a tiny bit.
So would lowering it make the temps go down? I mean, it seems like being only 7-10 degrees away from failure is unsafe?

**restarting to lower now.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
Quote:

So would lowering it make the temps go down? I mean, it seems like being only 7-10 degrees away from failure is unsafe?

**restarting to lower now.
It's not "failure". It's just an automatic throttling. The temps can "safely" go as high as like 130 or 140 and as far as I know, all that would happen is the CPU would turn itself off. However, I would bet that permanent damage would occur at temps THAT high.

Anyway, yep the voltage has the biggest impact on temps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm in my BIOS settings but I am unsure of what value to change voltage.

Cpu vcore is at 1.380v (normal)
DVID is +.050v

Cpu pll is 1.815v.

Other than that. It's defaults.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,943 Posts
Quote:

I'm in my BIOS settings but I am unsure of what value to change voltage.

Cpu vcore is at 1.380v (normal)
DVID is +.050v

Cpu pll is 1.815v.

Other than that. It's defaults.
I'd say that the CPU vCore setting has to be lowered down from 1.380V. Or, lower the DVID. I mean, the DVID is adding .050V to 1.380V. That makes 1.430V, but it's at 1.416V due to a normal behavior called vDroop.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

I'd say that the CPU vCore setting has to be lowered down from 1.380V. Or, lower the DVID. I mean, the DVID is adding .050V to 1.380V. That makes 1.430V, but it's at 1.416V due to a normal behavior called vDroop.
Alright. I lowered the DVID to +.025 and the voltage is fluxuating between 1.380 and 1.392 v

I'm gonna drop it to about +015 and see where it goes from there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts