Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got an i5-2500k not long ago together with some watercooling 'equipment?' At the moment I am cooling just the CPU with a RS240 but I will be adding a 200mm rad and a gpu block any day now.

Anyway. I have managed to get my CPU up to 4.4GHz without any extra voltage but my question is this: When I torture test the CPU using Prime95 or Intel Burn Test, only 2 of the cores run 100% and after about 7 minutes only 1 core runs on full load. Is this normal or should all my cores be running at full load?

My temps are 43c on the hottest core (the others run in the mid to high 30s). I suspect there might not be enough voltage going into the processor for more cores to run full load (especially seeing as 4.5GHz won't even boot my computer).

So is it normal for only 1 or 2 cores to be running when overclocked? Or is it because of the voltage or maybe something else?

This is pretty much the first time I'm overclocking so sorry if this is a stupid question.

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
Sounds like some workers are failing. Increase your voltage a notch or two, that should straighten you out.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Keep increasing voltage till you make it to the desktop. I have my 2500k at 1.34 for 4.5ghz.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Does cpuz say you have 2 cores? or are they failing?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Drop your CPU PLL to 1.7V and enable internal CPU PLL overvoltage. Increase Vcore by 0.010 retest.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Just keep going going going, Just keep going going going going.

Seems like you got a dog though. Fill out your specs? Might be the other components that are hindering your OC like RAM.

Btw, if you plan on cooling your system with a RS240 & another 200mm with a GPU that puts out a decent amount of heat (6950 & above), you might wanna change the pump. Just a head's up.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleckazee;15338674
4.4/1.35v ran full load on 2 cores for almost 5 minutes

EDIT: Coolio, just saw ur post, will try it now
Any luck?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Try 1.36V and see if the workers stop failing.

·
Banned
7,501 Posts
Have you tried clearing the CMOS? And is your ASRock board running the latest BIOS?

What app are you using that's only showing 2 cores under load?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Increase Vcore again.

Edit your posts instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleckazee;15338788
Just wondering, should I change the Turbo Boost Power Limit in the BIOS at all?
change to 250.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts