Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my first post here and I do not exactly know too much about the hardware side of computers but I'll try to be as clear as possible.

My i5-2500k which was initially overclocked to only 3.7ghz which it ran at since I got it two years ago has suddenly began having issues.

My system is liquid cooled and my CPU is currently running at 50 degrees according to Core Temp.

I heard that maybe my VRM was over heating and causing voltage drops which could spike the frequency such as I am getting but that is also liquid cooled.

According to CPU-Z my voltage is stable at 1.224 V - 1214 V. I don't know if this is good/correct but it doesn't move from there.

I don't know if it is a temperature problem but I think it is quite unlikely.

Intel Processor ID Utility is gettings readings as low as 0.41Ghz(meant to be 3.3ghz max) and 51Mhz(100mhz max) Bus speeds.

I have put the CPU back to default settings and it is running the same way still.

Sometimes I get 30 mins - 2 hours of stable frequency and it runs fine but it always reverts back to running super slow at seemingly random times.

I have been in touch with Intel support to try and figure this out with them and they have just sent me to the warranty team. I doubt I will get a replacement cpu though so I am trying to somehow resolve this issue.

When my PC is idle it is mostly sat at 16x (1600mhz) as it should I believe, but as soon as I start doing a task it spikes all over the place. Sometimes it goes to 33x as it should under load and it runs fine but the majority of the time for whatever reason it drops to 4-16x range and stays there. I have no clue how to stop it from doing it, I just stop doing anything until it bounces back up to 16x.

I have tried running in safe mode, having the same issue.

I am currently trying to get a hold of a windows 7 disc as I have lost mine to do a full system wipe as well, just in case.

If I have missed anything I will be active on this thread until we make some progress with the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Maybe a BIOS update could resolve some of your issues but I doubt it. If you have never done a BIOS flash maybe find someone experienced to help you, you can brick your board if done wrong. If the issue just appeared out of nowhere it may be pointing to a hardware failure or overheating. check for a bad case fan or plugged vents, do you have airflow directed across your VRM. use HW monitor to check your voltages to see if your power supply is healthy. If it is failing it could cause issues. Just trying to give you some ideas to check
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNishi View Post

Maybe a BIOS update could resolve some of your issues but I doubt it. If you have never done a BIOS flash maybe find someone experienced to help you, you can brick your board if done wrong. If the issue just appeared out of nowhere it may be pointing to a hardware failure or overheating. check for a bad case fan or plugged vents, do you have airflow directed across your VRM. use HW monitor to check your voltages to see if your power supply is healthy. If it is failing it could cause issues. Just trying to give you some ideas to check
My case has a large top fan, two front fans and a smaller fan which is behind the radiator for the water cooling. I think the airflow should be fine? I saw that there is little to no thermal paste between the heat sink and the cpu but the temp of the cpu looks fine to me. Do you think the thermal paste could be an issue? I have already ordered some thermal compound because my cpu did run at 35 degrees idle when I first got the pc.

Trying HW Monitor now, thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
779 Posts
there are power saving utilities build into the chip architecture, the processor should drop to 1600 Mhz using the follwing settings. (100 BCLK x 16 Multiplier).

The ONLY thing that should dynamically change due to the power saving features should be the multiplier ( and the Vcore if you are using offset voltage in your bios)

These chips are getting a bit long in the tooth. If you are like me and have been running your chip at max for 2+ years the processor will undergo degradation, requiring more and more voltage to maintain a given frequency over time.

there is a good sandybridge overclocking guide on this site, check it out. there is just too much info for one person to recall
wink.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunkosaur View Post

there are power saving utilities build into the chip architecture, the processor should drop to 1600 Mhz using the follwing settings. (100 BCLK x 16 Multiplier).

The ONLY thing that should dynamically change due to the power saving features should be the multiplier ( and the Vcore if you are using offset voltage in your bios)

These chips are getting a bit long in the tooth. If you are like me and have been running your chip at max for 2+ years the processor will undergo degradation, requiring more and more voltage to maintain a given frequency over time.

there is a good sandybridge overclocking guide on this site, check it out. there is just too much info for one person to recall
wink.gif
Do you know where the guide is? I did a search and can't find a generic sandybirdge overclocking guide, just random posts about sandybridge overclocking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Every time I change something it just gets worse. I had my cpu running at 90 degrees+ and I have no clue how/why. I reverted all my changes and it is running okay at the moment, still randomly dropping frequency though.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guestie1 View Post

Every time I change something it just gets worse. I had my cpu running at 90 degrees+ and I have no clue how/why. I reverted all my changes and it is running okay at the moment, still randomly dropping frequency though.
.

Sounds like its overheating then. Your CPU Socket temp might be too high, or package temp....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
779 Posts
could be thermal throttling, the chip automatically cuts back when it detects core temps that are dangerously high. I think for sandy that is at 105 deg. C.

if you are using offset voltage, set it to manual.

a good starting point would be 4.4ghz at 1.325v. that is probably too much, but if its stable, just keep reducing the vcore till it becomes unstable. then add .015v to make it stable. retest.

I say use manual because your VID could be telling the processor to ask for too much voltage. Manual Vcore will fix this.

If you could take screens of your BIOS settings and repost them here that could help us diagnose your problems.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top