Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the i5 is a dual memory processor but i have seen i5's with 4 Ram memories .( are like 2 of them not working?)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legonut View Post

You mean channel? The i5 can handle dual channel ram, but that also means it can use 4 sticks of ram. A quad channel cpu would be able to use up to 8 sticks of ram.
ok. i get that but in the z77 i7 platform i think that the i7 supports quad memory channel and the mobo only take 4.
confused.gif

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Z77 (M-ATX and ATX motherboards) support two Memory banks in each channel,making it dual channel.
X79 (M-ATX and ATX motherboards) can handle two banks in each channel too,thus making it eight slots in quad channel.
I7 Sandy bridge-E supports quad channel memory,
i7,i5 and i3 Sandy bridge and Ivy bridge revisions support dual channel memory.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMission View Post

Z77 (M-ATX and ATX motherboards) support two Memory banks in each channel,making it dual channel.
X79 (M-ATX and ATX motherboards) can handle two banks in each channel too,thus making it eight slots in quad channel.
I7 Sandy bridge-E supports quad channel memory,
i7,i5 and i3 Sandy bridge and Ivy bridge revisions support dual channel memory.
thanks.. know i get it. soo dual is 4 slots.
doh.gif

now i have another question i have the G.skill RipJaws X 2133 cl11 (f3-17000cl11d-8gbxl) (2x 4096mb)
soo if i want to go dual channel do i have to buy the same pack or can i use any other ram?
confused.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts