Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that the Noctua cpu cooler is actually quieter AND cooler than the Corsair H series CPU water coolers
weirdsmiley.gif
, is this true?

I will only be gaming on this computer, if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The Noctua NHD14 has similar performance to that of the H80 and the H100, maybe slightly... slightly less than the H100 and is infinitley quieter compared to the H80 and H100 Which have really noisy stock fans

In terms of overclocking the Noctua handles overclocks even in the 5GHZ bracket from what Ive seen

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's crazy, air cooling has gone a long way I guess. Water cooling used to either offer best silence or best cooling or both, now it provides neither
blushsmiley.gif

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z Overlord View Post

That's crazy, air cooling has gone a long way I guess. Water cooling used to either offer best silence or best cooling or both, now it provides neither
blushsmiley.gif
all in one coolers =/= water cooling.

I would go with the noctua, or get an XSPC raystorm kit and go with real water cooling.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yea closed loop/self contained "liquid coolers" are not liquid coolers in the slightest. They are just crafty little air coolers with liquid
rolleyes.gif

The NHD14 is the way to go if you want really good cooling, Mind you though its a massive heatsink so make sure you have room for it in your case and make sure it wont interfere with your ram

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totimoshi View Post

Yea closed loop/self contained "liquid coolers" are not liquid coolers in the slightest. They are just crafty little air coolers with liquid
rolleyes.gif

The NHD14 is the way to go if you want really good cooling, Mind you though its a massive heatsink so make sure you have room for it in your case and make sure it wont interfere with your ram
only rose about 6c going to a H100 from a heatkiller 3.0 at 3.5ghz 1.2v

but it does get huge at 1.3v 4ghz. about 10c

full load test water should be better.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
The D14 is a great cooler, it keeps my 1.43V 4.8GHz 3930K under 77 degrees in Prime/IBT with ~22 degree ambients.

With the Noctua cooler (and heatsink coolers in general) you can always install quieter fans at the cost of performance and there are indeed some fans that provide decent air flow and near silent operation. However, with sealed liquid coolers you run into the issue of not only having fans but also pump noise.

If you have the room in your case I recommend high end air over sealed water coolers in almost every situation.

·
Banned
1,022 Posts
h100 with scythe 1200rpm 70cfm fans
23dba

Cut metal fan shroud out of the casing.

I can run my 3570k @ 4.7 ghz all day with prime

1 - 13 of 13 Posts