Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am looking to change from my amd 8350 back over to the Intel side as I am getting sick of fps dps in my mmo gaming with ffxiv and world of warcraft as these games are alot better on the intel side
smile.gif
My gpu is definatly good enough for gaming as it is a sapphire r9 290. My budget would be up to $370 for a cpu which will do up to an i78 4770k and around the $200 mark depending on what cpu that is purchased.

What would be the better option an i5 with a more expensive board or an i7 with a less expensive board , and which mainboard should i purchase?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelixa View Post

Hello all,

I am looking to change from my amd 8350 back over to the Intel side as I am getting sick of fps dps in my mmo gaming with ffxiv and world of warcraft as these games are alot better on the intel side
smile.gif
My gpu is definatly good enough for gaming as it is a sapphire r9 290. My budget would be up to $370 for a cpu which will do up to an i78 4770k and around the $200 mark depending on what cpu that is purchased.

What would be the better option an i5 with a more expensive board or an i7 with a less expensive board , and which mainboard should i purchase?
For pure gaming a decentish board (unlocked) and a 4670k overclocked is your best bet, but if you use it for any form of rendering the i7 beats it generally. The i7 is starting to have a benefit in newer games (BF4. etc) though. But an i5 will still run it fine at the same time.

Where are you located? Because sometimes it's cheaper to go and get a i7 4820k and a X79 board over the i7 4770k too. I'm looking into this myself for a build that I'm ordering the stuff for today.

The last thing I should mention is that there isn't much point in spending LOTS on a motherboard for a gaming build, unless there are features that you need that cheaper ones don't have. If it doesn't effect other core components go for a nicer board if you can afford it; But don't go cheaping out on a CPU/RAM/GFX card for a better board as it provides no FPS benefit at all generally.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in Australia, Qld so I usually by my parts from IJK. Ido alot of gaming, rendering, going to buy a 3rd hard drive as my second is almost full . I would like a mainboard with good onboard sound but i dont think that really happens these days

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Quote:

I live in Australia, Qld so I usually by my parts from IJK. Ido alot of gaming, rendering, going to buy a 3rd hard drive as my second is almost full . I would like a mainboard with good onboard sound but i dont think that really happens these days
Well I live in Tasmania incase you missed it. I usually order from PC Case Gear/MWave/Umart Online/MSY

Usually PC Case Gear however; Anyway how much do you have to spend and how much rendering do you do? I think the i7 sounds more for you already but I'm not certain.
smile.gif

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I saw in your sig
smile.gif
I usually render about a hour or so a day when i have footage or videos to encode or rip
smile.gif
Having a look at the 2011 it seems to be just a little more than the haswell so im not sure which way to go
frown.gif
the haswell boards can be picked up for alot cheaper thou so idk which way to go or what board to buy:(

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Quote:

Yeah I saw in your sig
smile.gif
I usually render about a hour or so a day when i have footage or videos to encode or rip
smile.gif
Having a look at the 2011 it seems to be just a little more than the haswell so im not sure which way to go
frown.gif
the haswell boards can be picked up for alot cheaper thou so idk which way to go or what board to buy:(
Yeah but even the cheap 2011 boards are nice; whereas the cheap Haswell ones are well.. Cheap
tongue.gif

If you want to overclock it only works out a bit more of the socket 2011; BUT it's an Ivy Bridge chip, you have to remember that, Haswell is better clock for clock and also has a better IMC and more Sata III ports.

The 4820k which is what I'd assume you're looking at is able to do quad channel RAM (not a massive thing, but it's nice) and they run cooler I think? I'm not sure don't quote me on that.

You also have more PCI-E lanes too, and support for six core CPU's if you do end up going that way in the future. Whereas the 4770k is the best chip you can get straight up.

As for a board, I wouldn't suggest much cheaper then a Z87-D3H (I'm a massive Giagbyte fan). They're around $200 on PC Case Gear; there are other Z87 boards that Gigabyte and anyone would do my best advice is go for one with the features you want (Dual PCI-E @ 8x is nice to have) and if you have headphones/speakers that use SPDIF get a board with that too. It in all honesty doesn't make a lot of difference.

If it were me I'd jump on the socket 2011 even though it's older. It just allows for more upgrades later in its life and has more features that I think I'd use over a bit more clock for clock performance.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes looking at the 2011 it does look alot more future proof with the ram, pcie lanes and better cpus I would just need to save up a little as there base mainboards are a little more in price tghan z87 as you just said. I only have 2x8gb ddr3 rams on me at the moment, so that would mean i would have to buy more ram thats quad compatible or just add to the ram that i have? Yes the gigabyte boards have always been alot better in quality, i know every time i pick one up i can feel how heavy they are, they definatly do not have a flex like the asrock ones

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Quote:

Yes looking at the 2011 it does look alot more future proof with the ram, pcie lanes and better cpus I would just need to save up a little as there base mainboards are a little more in price tghan z87 as you just said. I only have 2x8gb ddr3 rams on me at the moment, so that would mean i would have to buy more ram thats quad compatible or just add to the ram that i have? Yes the gigabyte boards have always been alot better in quality, i know every time i pick one up i can feel how heavy they are, they definatly do not have a flex like the asrock ones
Yeah I tried a z68 build with an AsRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 a while back.. Never again.

Your RAM will be fine in dual channel too, you can get more later down the road and just add a kit that is the same/similar.

If you can't afford going to x79 and can't wait the z87 platform is still a solid contender and you'll be happy with either. One thing to mention with both (moreso x79) is what CPU Cooler/RAM do you have? Make sure it's going to clear it (both sides for the x79) setup.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My current cooler is the noctua nh-c12p se14 which i would have to order in the mount bracket for the 2011 socket which i believe will fit any 2011 mainboard.

I dont really want to rush in as i wont be able to afford another cpu/mainboard upgrade for many years as i am getting married in August so this is much of my last splurges lol

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Quote:

My current cooler is the noctua nh-c12p se14 which i would have to order in the mount bracket for the 2011 socket which i believe will fit any 2011 mainboard.

I dont really want to rush in as i wont be able to afford another cpu/mainboard upgrade for many years as i am getting married in August so this is much of my last splurges lol
Fair enough, if that's the case I'd just go with the socket 2011 again. That means in the future if you do need six cores for whatever reason you can just plop it in, rather then having to splurge out on a new socket.

It's nice that you can order in the mount bracket too.
thumb.gif

·
Old school gamer
1,911 Posts
I have to ask how low are these dips? I mean my wife plays both games on an A10 5800K with a 7850 and her playback is smooth at 1080 with some pretty high detail levels.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In ffxiv the fps in fates can go from 60 down to 20 some places in wow from 120 down to 50, will last until leave the area in wow and in ff until the fate is over then shoots straight back up

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.