Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
disclaimer: never overclocked cpu before. only have done gpu's so probably gonna ask dumb question

Brought back an old pc from the dead. It had an i5 650 in it. Managed to overclock it to 4.02ghz. I have some old ddr3 1333mhz ram in it. With the overclocked bclk it raised the ram to 1336mhz... anything after at it will crash. Does this mean my overclock for this cpu is capped since the ram crashes anything after 1336mhz? I had newer spare ram of 1600mhz but the old mobo wont work with it (p55-cd53).

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
You could drop to a slower memory divider if your board will let you.
I think it hurts performance slightly but if you can get some more CPU frequency out of it then you'll make up for that.

For example, I just set my i3 540 to run at 174MHz bclock but the RAM is running at 1044MHz because it's on the lowest divider possible.
I'd be running 1392MHz if I stayed on the same divider you are on.

I also think Clarkdale chips had some issue with the lowest memory multiplier but I forget what it was.

Edit:
See the above image, you want to change your memory ratio to a lower number if possible, see if that'll let you get a higher overclock.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put the lowest memory ratio. Got it to boot at 4.3ghz. 4.5 was too high. Increased ram voltage to 1.65 and vcore to 1.3 for the 4.5 attempt.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyL4 View Post

I put the lowest memory ratio. Got it to boot at 4.3ghz. 4.5 was too high. Increased ram voltage to 1.65 and vcore to 1.3 for the 4.5 attempt.
You are safe to 1.4 vcore. Loosen your ram timings and try again. What are your temps like?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanzylol View Post

You are safe to 1.4 vcore. Loosen your ram timings and try again. What are your temps like?
Loosen means make the numbers bigger or littler? Lol new to this and my temps were 60C highest for a second or two in prime95. Usually in the 57-59 mark.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quote:

Loosen means make the numbers bigger or littler? Lol new to this and my temps were 60C highest for a second or two in prime95. Usually in the 57-59 mark.
Bigger like if its 8-8-824 put it at 9-9-9-28

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it to boot into Windows with 4.5. Was laggy after that
frown.gif

·
Registered
747 Posts
try bumping your vcore a few notches. What is your ram specs? can you load up cpuz and take a screen shot of the spd tab for me?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's working now. The bios on this old mobo doesnt let you set the vcore. Just lets you add to it in increments.
Quote:

try bumping your vcore a few notches. What is your ram specs? can you load up cpuz and take a screen shot of the spd tab for me?
Here is everything taken just now using the pc. Managed to boot with 4.5ghz.

http://valid.x86.fr/klan4a

·
Registered
747 Posts
Quote:

It's working now. The bios on this old mobo doesnt let you set the vcore. Just lets you add to it in increments.
Here is everything taken just now using the pc. Managed to boot with 4.5ghz.

http://valid.x86.fr/klan4a

bump your ram voltages to 1.65 and vcore to 1.35 and push some more
biggrin.gif
also set your vtt to 1.3

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

bump your ram voltages to 1.65 and vcore to 1.35 and push some more
biggrin.gif
also set your vtt to 1.3
This p55 cd53 mobo doesnt have vtt lol.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just failed prime95 with 4.8 lol

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Think I am stable at 4.7ghz.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One prime95 test had an error after 10 minutes. Back to 4.6 I guess.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
4.6 is stable
smile.gif

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Sweet.
Idle is around 36-40c. Should I turn down the voltage a tad?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:

Idle is around 36-40c. Should I turn down the voltage a tad?
whats temp under load?
I just OCed my i5 750 to 4.0Ghz but temps were 85C so I dropped it back to 3.5ghz since I like the temps lol once I get an AIO I might jump back to 4.0 but yeah temps?

And if its stable at current settings you can try to lower Voltage by one notch and see if thats stable

1 - 20 of 23 Posts