Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question with a 6600 non k cpu and gtx 980 how will that perform in gaming. I am worried that my computer cpu will not be good for gaming in 3 years. I will update gpu next year or when needed or should i go i7 6700.

reason for locked cpu is i am in a RVZ02

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
The government took away my ability to travel into the future a few years ago, so I can't tell you. ;)

My best guess: with how powerful people are saying Pascal is going to be, I would bet that your computer 3 years from now will be a wimpy machine. I mean, with all the hints at how massive the improvements will be to technology over the next few years, I would bet that future video games will become MUCH more demanding due to being able to become much more demanding. So, much more realistic.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i might upgrade to a newer gpu just want to make sure i can game on it alittle with any problems or should i hit the i7 because of DX12

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMatzelle60 View Post

Well i might upgrade to a newer gpu just want to make sure i can game on it alittle with any problems or should i hit the i7 because of DX12
That's beyond me unfortunately, so someone else will have to field that. All I know is, I remember seeing some mention that Pascal is slated to be 10x more powerful than the Titan X? I don't know. I also remember reading somewhere that estimates are coming in that improvements to technology in general over the next few years are going to be nearly mind-blowing. We'll see, of course, but still. It makes me think that a computer like yours will seem like a wimpy office machine in a few years. lol

·
Gamer
1,244 Posts

·
Gamer
1,244 Posts
Quote:

jet.com a legit retailer?
I just ordered a table saw and a couple other tools and everything showed up fine. I'm pretty sure they just act as a middle man. A good chance newegg with ship out the cpu

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts

·
Gamer
1,244 Posts
or at jet with the promo code shop15 he'd be at $279 and if you waive the free return its at $273, thats a nice price
thumb.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cysquatch View Post

or at jet with the promo code shop15 he'd be at $279 and if you waive the free return its at $273, thats a nice price
thumb.gif
She. :p

I don't know if I'd feel comfortable making just one purchase from a club-based retailer.

Quote:
Users of Amazon and customers of Costco and Sam's Club are no strangers to club based retailers… the question is, however, are these same customers ready to introduce another merchant to their go-to-list of places to shop?

With Jet.com joining the ranks as the newest club based retailer, consumers will naturally need to decide if it's right for them. First, however, they need to understand just exactly what Jet.com is and whether or not it makes sense for them to become part of their "club". If you're among these potential consumers, consider these ten details as you navigate Jet.com.

New Jersey based Jet.com is out to offer customers a shopping experience ALMOST like never before. Photo Credit: Jet.com

New Jersey based Jet.com is out to offer customers a shopping experience ALMOST like never before. Photo Credit: Jet.com

1. Marketed as having a "nifty price tool" that discovers the "best prices off the web", Jet.com markets itself as an online warehouse that typically saves customers "10 to 15″ percent from all other available online prices.
  2. Small items and large items alike are among the 10 million plus items available on Jet.com, as are bulk based items and singular products, as well.
  3. Jet.com orders items in bulk from other online companies, allowing them to reduce their retail price on their own website.
  4. Beyond buying on Jet.com, customers of Jet.com are encouraged to "Jet Anywhere" and shop on other sites that include Macy's M +0.65% and the Gap GPS +1.48% as part of an affiliate program they have with these merchants.
Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/nicoleleinbachreyhle/2015/07/22/10-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-recently-launched-amazon-competitor-jet-com/#19619e44386d

Warning: their site is super-annoying these days. Even if you disable all ad-blocking, you still have to be careful to keep your mouse away from ads because if an ad comes up and you close it, then their site will block the article because it will think you have ad-blocking enabled again.

·
Banned
5,762 Posts
I think that 980 will be to be replaced first. I bet money 390X will be faster than 980 sooner or later (if it isn't already)
6600 non-K is cool. wait for Pascal/Polaris to drop.

If I was building now it'd be:
i5 6500 (v.good as a placeholder, can upgrade to 6700K later on)
16GB DDR4 (2133 as for now)
R9 Nano (crazy how its prices went down, it's full Fiji for less than a 980)

If you wanna go cheaper go with R9 390.

4000, yay. I just registered to ask what Load Line Calibaration setting is. Going back to my 1st avatar
smile.gif

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

My big thing is wanting to play my games without problems at 1080 with 6600 and 980
My whole point is, game developers are going to be taking advantage of the newer and more powerful GPUs and CPUs (and memory). Based on the claim that Pascal is going to be "up to 10 times more powerful than a Titan X", I would say that some year soon your 6600 and GTX 980 will be wimpy for modern games of the future era(s).

In order to continue playing video games without problems these days, you need to keep upgrading - especially when the next generation of GPUs and CPUs makes the previous generation look pathetic - like what appears to be coming down the pipes for GPUs here. Yes, it remains to be seen (the proof is in the pudding), but still.

Sure, if you keep playing today's games tomorrow, then yeah you'll be fine. For example: Crysis 3 for me on my rig would still perform liquid-smooth for me 10 years from now on this rig - provided it's still functioning by then. lol However, trying to play the newest games 10 years from now on my rig would probably be impossible.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Yea i understand but even today a stock 2500K can keep up with games today.
Yeah, and why do you think that is? What did I just get done saying? With Pascal, we're looking at our first super-impressive and massive jump in GPU power in a VERY long time, and it sounds like it's going to be an unprecedented jump in power, way beyond anything we've seen so far. That means that game developers will be developing for that power because they can. Imagine playing a game where the minimum requirements call for a Pascal GPU. Yeah, not good for you and me! We will need to upgrade to play those games.

When will games like that be made? I don't know. A year or two from now? Who knows? One or more games that will harness that power might already be in development. We don't know.

There's speculation going around that in the coming few years, we are going to see ridiculous improvements to technology that will be mind-blowing. I don't know if there's any truth to it, but again, look at what is being said about Pascal's 3D processing power.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,827 Posts
Quote:

Yea i understand ill probably get next gen gpu next year. Intel stated there tick tock schedule.
Now me, I don't plan to really buy any new games for a very very very long time unless something comes out that grabs my attention like Crysis 1 and 3 did. I'm a difficult sell for game developers: I don't want more of the same. So, I probably won't need to upgrade for many years, unless some game comes out that makes me super excited to play it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts