Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I OCed my i5 to 4.7 with voltage at 1.328(1.340 in bios with llc lvl6),tested with aida64 no failure or bsod temps max at high 50s to max 60c and games at 40-50c.
My voltage is at constant 1.328v (idle and load),speedstep enabled so frequencies varies at idle.So i asking is this safe for everyday use because i want to use this cpu for a looong time cause it was pretty expensive where i live,should i use offset(dont Know how its work) or i can go with constant 1.328 voltage? also is it safe to use asus dual intelligent processors 5 for OC test and later set in bios?
i have asus z170-A motherboard tnx in advance
smile.gif

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
Change to adaptive and try LLC5, that will drop your volts under load slightly. Though also note that using AIDA as a stress test will likely fail in the real world, it's not very good. eg, you may find you need to add 0.02v to be stable.

There's a thread here for these chips and what to consider when OCing, have a look and see what others are doing.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1570313/skylake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually i played some demanding games for a long time and it didnt crash for once for now,i will try adaptive but i wanna know is it safe to constant 1.328v even at idle, if not i will lower to 4.6 or use adaptive?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok tnx so it should work for 10~ years at this constant voltage or its better to use adaptive or offset?

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
There's virtually no reason not to use Adaptive. If you're stable then that's great ..nobody can guarantee 10 years obviously, not even Intel considering their warranty but your volts are safe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok great i was lazy to try adaptive but i will try it if stable with it.
tnx guys rep both for fast and helpful answers

·
Registered
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post

Ok tnx so it should work for 10~ years at this constant voltage or its better to use adaptive or offset?
To give you an idea on degradation, I have a phenom 965 clocked at 4.1ghz, at 1.55v on air(more than some would say is max on air) that has been running 9 hours a day, 7 days a week since 2009. It has never sputtered or blue screened once. Does that apply to this chip? Not exactly, but it should give you a good idea

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideZiLightning View Post

That is extremely safe. The max for skylake is 1.45 with 1.4 being the suggested
The "max recommended" by intel is the same 1.52V as the previous generations.

After about 3 years at 1.52V or higher, my 3570K is starting to show some degradation. I would say if your temps are fine then anything below 1.52V is fine.

Friend just assembled a Skylake PC and I left his 6600K at 4.7GHz @ 1.4V.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've seen this 1.52V figure a few times - are you sure it's actually a maximum "recommended" voltage or just the value for the upper end of the range of stock VIDs on CPUs that Intel releases to retail?

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odaik View Post

I've seen this 1.52V figure a few times - are you sure it's actually a maximum "recommended" voltage or just the value for the upper end of the range of stock VIDs on CPUs that Intel releases to retail?
Well considering:
For the first year or so, I had my 3570K on Z77 Extreme 4 mobo which gave like 0.08V more VCore than it said. So my CPU was running at almost 1.6V for a year.
Even with this Z77 OC Formula the reported voltage like 0.02-0.03V higher than what CPU-Z says so I have still ran my CPU at around 1.55V or thereabouts.

And only after ~3 years have I started to see some degradation on it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The problem is Intel's specified voltage range is for retail CPUs at stock. If you want to maintain the lifespan guaranteed by Intel, then as heat and frequency increase, voltage should be decreasing - which obviously is impossible with overclocking.

It depends on personal circumstances whether degradation after 3 years is acceptable - personally I'd rather not see any adverse effects for at least 5 years as I use CPUs in multiple systems.

My last CPU was an i7 920 that ran at 4.4GHz and 1.31V with no issues for 7 years. But I initially ran it at 1.35V and about 4.5GHz and I saw degradation pretty quickly.

I'm amazed at the voltages these new chips are taking - I'd never have gone above 1.4V on my old nehalem, on what I would assume is a much less sensitive process (45nm vs 14nm).

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
If I need 3 years to get degradation on those voltages, I think anything under 1.52V will easily last 5+ years.

Just to add, I think I had my 2500K at 1.52V for 2 years or so, no degradation on it in that time before I burned it with 1.7V ;D

I guess I will always run my CPUs at ~1.52V to get the max out of them that I can heh, if they last 3 years without degradation, that is fine, more? better. But I think in 3-4 years it's already time to upgrade so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts