Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

ATM I have my system stable at 3.8Ghz with 39-45c idle and 65c the highest under load.
Here are my settings:
FSB: 190 x20
vCore: 1.350v
IMC: 1.15v
PLL: 1.8v
PCH: 1.05v

I wanna kick my CPU to 4Ghz since temps are good at 3.8Ghz but I can't seem to get it to be stable. I've tried bumping up vCore alittle bit at a time all the way up to 1.415v and still fail prime95 also tried bumping up my IMC to 1.20v still fails and when I set it to 1.25v it caused my system to crash.

It might just be my MOBO since it's pretty cheap. Any thoughts??????

·
Registered
494 Posts
Try something like this:

All energy saving settings disabled.
21x191
1.35vcore
1.2v IMC
1.8 PLL
Stock PCH
LLC on
If you're using XMP profiles manually change the RAM timings instead.
Lowest QPI multi.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
try bumping the IMC voltages up a bit and see if that helps. Also check what your blue screen codes are, they usually tell you what went wrong.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salami991
View Post

Try something like this:

21x191
1.35vcore
1.2v IMC
1.8 PLL
Stock PCH
LLC on
Lowest QPI multi.

Im trying ur suggested settings and running prime95 atm. I was doing 200 x 20 trying to get my ram to run to its full potenial which is 1600 8-8-8-24. But I've never that about setting it to 191 x 21 to get 4Ghz but that's ok it's close enough. Hope it stays stable but so far so good 20mins into it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

View Post

Yeah mine runs at 1528, I'd rather that than have a higher vcore though.

I'm with you on that.

So far so good. I am confident that this settings will make my system stable. I'm seeing 70c max atm doing prime95. I will let it run for a few more hours just to be sure.

Thanks alot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by spectre023
View Post

make sure your ram is 1.65v. i had 1600mhz corsair ram as well, and couldnt for the life of me hit 4ghz and be stable.. till i realized that my ram was 1.8v. after a swap and manually set ram timings overclocking was a breeze.

Can u please post ur settings in bios to get 4.1Ghz and ur ram timmings just curious. I have mine on auto for my timing and it is 9-11-11-28. Do you think it will work if I set it to 7-7-7-22 or even 8-8-8-24(stock timming for my ram)?

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
452 Posts
best start with your rams stock timings. ive found that leaving them on auto hinders oc performance quite a bit. once you get everything stable you can go down from there.

my suggestion is to start at about 1.34vcore and work your way down till it gets unstable. it seems my particular chips overclocks a bit above average, but i'm sure you can hit similar settings. if 1.34 doesnt hold stable try upping your imc just a tad.

vcore- 1.28
vtt/imc- 1.2
bclk-195
cpu multi-21
cpu pll- 1.8
dram voltage- 1.65
pch- 1.05

edit: by check your rams voltage i meant its rated voltage. p55 boards are not recommended to go above 1.65v dram, but the ram i had was rated at 1.8v, and caused some stability issues when overclocking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

View Post

Try something like this:

21x191
1.35vcore
1.2v IMC
1.8 PLL
Stock PCH
LLC on
Lowest QPI multi.

It looked so good but once again it failed.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
no chip is created equal, settings that work for one person will surely need to be adjusted up or down for another person.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by spectre023
View Post

best start with your rams stock timings. ive found that leaving them on auto hinders oc performance quite a bit. once you get everything stable you can go down from there.

my suggestion is to start at about 1.34vcore and work your way down till it gets unstable. it seems my particular chips overclocks a bit above average, but i'm sure you can hit similar settings. if 1.34 doesnt hold stable try upping your imc just a tad.

vcore- 1.28
vtt/imc- 1.2
bclk-195
cpu multi-21
cpu pll- 1.8
dram voltage- 1.65
pch- 1.05

edit: by check your rams voltage i meant its rated voltage. p55 boards are not recommended to go above 1.65v dram, but the ram i had was rated at 1.8v, and caused some stability issues when overclocking.

I don't think 3.4v an under will not work for me. I was at 3.5v and it still failed. Now i'm trying 3.6 and see what happens.

About the ram issues I've tried 7-7-7-22, 8-8-8-24, 9-9-9-24 and left on auto which came to 9-11-11-28 still failed.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by melterx12
View Post

no chip is created equal, settings that work for one person will surely need to be adjusted up or down for another person.

You are absolutely right on that. Found that out first hand today lol.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Try to bump the PLL to 1.88 or even 1.9
My friend's i5 needs 1.9 PLL to be stable

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by phon912 View Post
Andy, is that 1.296v in bios or in cpuz?
I have CPU-Z, where the heck is the voltage listed in CPU-Z? I've seen several references to this but I just don't see it....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by steadly2004
View Post

I have CPU-Z, where the heck is the voltage listed in CPU-Z? I've seen several references to this but I just don't see it....

See attachment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sigh.......... I give up on trying to get my system @ 4Ghz stable. Like I said in my 1st post it might just be my mobo that is limiting me but... I did learned alot from all of that. So I'll just stay @ 3.8Ghz which is actually more than fast enough for me since I don't even game that much on a PC.

Here are my settings now:
vCore: 1.30v
IMC: 1.20v
PLL: 1.90v
PCH: 1.15v
BLK: 181x21=3.8Ghz

Thanks for all your comments.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Oh, my bad that's CPU-Z, BIOS is 1.3v
It's highly possible a inferior motherboard.
With the exactly same chip on an ECS P55H-A board, this chip cannot reach 3.6 stable with 1.37v.
So you see the importance of a good mobo

1 - 20 of 24 Posts