Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know which one is better to play game like Crysis 2 or other?

I'm now looking for the i7 930 but if the i5 750 is better, i'll maybe change my mind and swich for a i5 build.

·
Banned
4,112 Posts
You won't see much advantage by choosing the 930 as opposed to the 750 unless this time around, the engine takes advantage of HTing.

CPUs in general have little impact on game performance in real time.

Don't get a processor just to increase your e-Peen. It instantly shrinks your e-Peen to 2 inches.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
i would say get the i5 750 and save up for a kick ass gpu (5870, 5970,etc.)
since you want use your pc mostly for games. you wouldnt want to skimp on a gpu.

and what resolution will you be gaming at?
because if its low, theres really no point of splurging on a kick ass gpu.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would tend to agree with slayer. I don't see the 930 being significantly better than the 750 unless they somehow incorporate the ability to utilize hyper-threading into Crysis 2. I personally think that is unlikely, but don't quote me on that...

Other than that, in my experience, triple versus double channel memory is not that big of a difference for gaming. If this is more-or-less a purely gaming machine, I think the i5-750 will be more than sufficient enough, unless you just have money to burn.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thank you for your fast reply, now... i need to find a great mobo... do you have and idea?

EDIT: I have fonud that one :
ASUS Maximus III Gene LGA1156 DDR3 2PCI-E16 PCI-E4 PCI 7XSATA2 GBLAN X-FI Sound Motherboard

It is a good choice?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do you plan on using 2 or more graphics cards in crossfire or sli? I've been happy with my GA-P55a-UD4P so far except that I can't seem to force the clock multiplier higher than 20x when overclocking (some other mobos should be able to use a base of at least 21x).

Also, the UD4P forces the PCIe x16 slots down to just x8 if you are using both of them, so 2 GPUs in crossfire/sli is not the most optimal (can be done, but you lose a small percentage of their power ~2-3%).

I don't plan on cross firing any time soon, so its enough for me. Just make sure you get a P55A though, they have lotus sockets. The P55 had foxconn which had some issues with burnout.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll add a second GPU this summer. The Asus Maximus III Gene have a Intel® P55 Express Chipset built-in... all the asus Mobo i have seen (i did check all of them) was wearing a Intel® P55 Express Chipset built-in.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
since your comparing i5 750 to i7 930, why not get the i7 860? Its specs are identical to the 930, but its the LGA 1156 version.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
750 for sure. And for board, take a look at the MSI P55-GD65 or GD80. Either board is loaded with features and is extremely easily to overclock and even includes a on-board feature that will overclock for you (well too, unlike other boards)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by melterx12 View Post
since your comparing i5 750 to i7 930, why not get the i7 860? Its specs are identical to the 930, but its the LGA 1156 version.

I have heard that the i5-750 overclocks better than the 860, and for gaming I cannot foresee the Hyper-Threading helping for gaming.

When I built my sig-rig, I came down to either the 750 or 860, but decided on the 750 because it was cheaper, overclocked better, and I didn't feel that I would need hyper-threading.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MSI mobo are good, the quality are great or not? It's the first time someone suggest to me that brand, I dont have any information on it!

And I have chose the i5 750 for the price ^^

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
but are you upgrading your PC solely for gaming? For me, when I upgrade my PC its to make everything faster, not just games. Although hyperthreading might not get used by some applications like games, it doesnt hurt to have it.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm building my pc, from zero, you don't have seen what kind of crap i have! You can have a better pc than me for less than 200$ with the case! XD (My spec are real, it's not a joke, and still working... not great but still XD)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts