Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i want another fun OCing chip. with/without hyperthreading which i dont need but the i7's clock great.

so, from what ive read and seen, the 860's dont OC like the 920's so im not sure if its worth it to try and get a good chip or not from microcenter.

what do ya'll think. get an 860?

ORRR

get one of the dual core i5's and have fun with that? but resell would be a little harder and i dont plan on keeping the dual i5.

hmm..
 

·
god loves ugly
Joined
·
4,211 Posts
I just did this very upgrade and I'm a bit indifferent to it. My 750 hit 4.2Ghz rather easily, but I can't seem to get this 860 over 4Ghz (HT on, haven't tried without). Granted, I've only spent ~30 minutes tweaking (I got the chip yesterday).

I'm glad to have hyperthreading, and in the end it'll only cost me ~$80.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kow ciller. i like what you said, makes me excited, i dont need hyperthreading, just would like a fun 4.5ghz+ chip to oc for fun!

and they all seem hard to OC (860's) compared to the 920's.

i think i may sell my 750 and get the 860 then and run it without hyperthreading for a bit.

EDIT: and Techmaggot, let me know how well your chip does.
what general settings do you have for 4ghz w/ HT?
 

·
god loves ugly
Joined
·
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tanderson View Post
kow ciller. i like what you said, makes me excited, i dont need hyperthreading, just would like a fun 4.5ghz+ chip to oc for fun!

and they all seem hard to OC (860's) compared to the 920's.

i think i may sell my 750 and get the 860 then and run it without hyperthreading for a bit.

EDIT: and Techmaggot, let me know how well your chip does.
what general settings do you have for 4ghz w/ HT?
Currently, I believe I'm at ~1.35Vcore, 1.33VTT, and 1.9 CPU PLL. This is at 4Ghz (200x20). LinX loads at about 78C
Haven't had a chance to run Prime yet, but I've done 20 passes with LinX so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats not to bad, thats with HT on too eh? so 78 degrees isnt unreasonable. you should turn HT off and see how much temps decrease!

EDIT: and also, ive read a few times that PLL should be lower cause it helps, somehow? ha. so maybe try lowering it to 1.7 or 1.8, i run mine at 1.8.

i'd like to get more clarity on the PLL voltage and figure out what is a good number to go with cause aparently if its lower its better?
 

·
god loves ugly
Joined
·
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tanderson View Post
thats not to bad, thats with HT on too eh? so 78 degrees isnt unreasonable. you should turn HT off and see how much temps decrease!
Will do, back shortly with results.

Edit: About an 8C drop.
 

·
semi-legit
Joined
·
7,980 Posts
No, I have not see any trend which shows 860s OC better than 750s and especially not 920s.

If you want another *quad on the 1156 platform to play around with go for the 750's Xeon counterpart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
8C isnt to bad, dang, but i guess at 78C for you and only 1.35v thats about all you can really do eh? isnt 80C getting close to not good? and its about to be summer, prob a bad time to start OCing a new chip haha.

EDIT: and a xeon chip eh? how do they compare to the i5/i7, havent really looked into them at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by candy_van
View Post

No, I have not see any trend which shows 860s OC better than 750s and especially not 920s.

If you want another *quad on the 1156 platform to play around with go for the 750's Xeon counterpart


^ I would do this. ^

The 860s OC just as well on a core for core basis as the 920 and 750. HT is the real killer of OC ability for these guys (which is why everyone shooting for maximum clocks disables HT). Everything I've read says the server cpus are great for overclocking even with HT on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm.. well i would DISABLE hyperthreading if i got the 860. so i would hope for about a 4.4-4.5ghz OC with the 860 and HT off. what about the xeon chip what do you think it could clock to compared to the 860?

and also, whats the difference between the xeon and the i7/i5's besides it being a "server" chip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by tanderson
View Post

8C isnt to bad, dang, but i guess at 78C for you and only 1.35v thats about all you can really do eh? isnt 80C getting close to not good? and its about to be summer, prob a bad time to start OCing a new chip haha.

EDIT: and a xeon chip eh? how do they compare to the i5/i7, havent really looked into them at all.

You won't see prochot kick in until the 90s depending on the quality of your chip. Thermtrip doesn't kick in until ~100C and sometimes not even then. It depends on what Intel tested that particular chip batch at.

Of course, I wouldn't push mine past 90C since I don't want to take a chance on cooking a cpu (wife would not enjoy "umm.. honey, i need to go spend $250 for a new cpu"). I generally shut my stress testing down after 85C since I know my cooling is not strong enough to sit at loads like that for extended periods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by tanderson
View Post

hmm.. well i would DISABLE hyperthreading if i got the 860. so i would hope for about a 4.4-4.5ghz OC with the 860 and HT off. what about the xeon chip what do you think it could clock to compared to the 860?

and also, whats the difference between the xeon and the i7/i5's besides it being a "server" chip.

Server grade chips are engineered to tighter standards. I also seem to remember the Xeons supporting ECC ram (which most PC boards won't support anyhow).

Also, don't expect 4.4-4.5GHz without a WC loop. While you might hit it long enough for a screenshot, I would be surprised if it was stable.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,927 Posts
i wouldn't bother.

it's more of a modest upgrade than anything, and if you end up getting a chip that clocks lower, then what?

rather spend the money on something else, or save it
 

·
semi-legit
Joined
·
7,980 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by xserpint
View Post

Server grade chips are engineered to tighter standards. I also seem to remember the Xeons supporting ECC ram (which most PC boards won't support anyhow).

Also, don't expect 4.4-4.5GHz without a WC loop. While you might hit it long enough for a screenshot, I would be surprised if it was stable.

Yep I'm thinking along the same lines. Not unheard of, but still doubtful.

Also correct on the Xeons. Specifically, for the X3450:
Uncore multi is x16 and and max memory multi is x10 just like the 750, but it really won't make a difference with the OCing / RAM being used (compared to a 860).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so i shouldnt waste my time/money on an 860 or server chip then eh?
i wish the 750 oced as good as the 32nm i5's. ha. or even as good as the 920's. cause i see a lot of 920's hit 4.3+ a lot of the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tanderson View Post
so i shouldnt waste my time/money on an 860 or server chip then eh?
i wish the 750 oced as good as the 32nm i5's. ha. or even as good as the 920's. cause i see a lot of 920's hit 4.3+ a lot of the time.
Well, they can hit those same speeds, it just requires really high end boards and coolers to do it. The 920s are considered a high-end product while the 800 and 700 series are mid-range. The 900s do it easier due to better support from the boards.

Other than purely fore purely the sake of a numbers game, are you really going to notice 4.2 or 4.3GHz being different than 4.4 or 4.5?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no, would not notice difference from 4.3-4.5ghz. thats not the point. benches is the point. to push a chip as far as i can on air. to see how far it can go for a 24/7 OC. not just to have a medocre 750 anymore. yeah, it is a great easily overclocked chip, but im ready for something else.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top