Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping to get mb and cpu this summer. But both the 750 and the 660 are $199 at Newegg. So which is the best choice?

I know that the i5-750 is a quad core and I have seen that it overclocks well. But I have not seen how much potental the i5-660 has. I guess it has HT, but only two cores, plus some kind of graphics support. I will be using my GTX260 so I'm not sure if that applies. But does the HT bring it up to the 750's level?

I use my computer to play Bad Company 2, so that is where I am looking for improvement over my E4400.

Thanks for any advice!

·
PC Evangelist
47,499 Posts
Even with HT the 660 doesn't come close. HT is just a trick that makes more run at once.

• Rep+
Reactions: dchishaggy

·
Beyond
4,493 Posts
Without question the i5 750. The i5 660 may pull ahead in limited single threaded apps but that's about it. Quad support is becoming more and more mainstream. By the way, Bad Company 2 loves quads, I mean it really really loves them.

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
The i5 6xx series are like i3s, because they both share a dual-core architecture with HT. In which case, the obvious choice is the 750 because because it has 4 cores with no HT.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
the i5 660 wont even compete with the i5-750
no matter how high you OC it.get the i5-750
if raw power is what your after.it will beat any
dualcore even a dualcore with HT any day.

that being said

if OCing to the extreme and super high clocks is what you are after
then get the i5-660 or better yet the i3-530(to save) a lot of money
yet still get amazing clocks.the only reason i would recommend these
32nm dualcores is for pure OCing FUN, FUN, FUN.

because they are so easy to OC and they just keep going higher and higher.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I thought the 4 cores of the 750 would have the raw power to beat out the 660. It's interesting how Intel places their CPUs as far as price.

·
Beyond
4,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dchishaggy
View Post

Thanks for the replies. I thought the 4 cores of the 750 would have the raw power to beat out the 660. It's interesting how Intel places their CPUs as far as price.

If you think that's bad just look at the price of the i5 670. It's the same price as the i7 920 and i7 860 on Newegg. Try and wrap your mind around that. It may be clocked at 3.46GHz but it's still only a dual-core. You would have to be out of your mind or very uninformed to buy it.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben the OCer
View Post

If you think that's bad just look at the price of the i5 670. It's the same price as the i7 920 and i7 860 on Newegg. Try and wrap your mind around that. It may be clocked at 3.46GHz but it's still only a dual-core. You would have to be out of your mind or very uninformed to buy it.

Some people would go for it just because of the clock speed

Not anyone on here I hope

·
Registered
901 Posts
plus you acutally pay for an on-die graphic card that you probably won't even use.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Or buying a Dell.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Quote:

View Post

orrrr do alot of overclocking

·
Registered
89 Posts
what the hell guys? the duo core runs cooler and faster in single thread applications. if you and has newer instruction sets for encryption. professionals who do not do video editing will most likly use duo cores.
does smaller die-size count as anything?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Don't forget worlds better on die PCIe controler.

·
Banned
6,565 Posts
I3's could compete if they had the same 8mb l3 cache imho. They resemble e6850's with hyperthreading bonus the way they are.

·
Beyond
4,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtcn77
View Post

I3's could compete if they had the same 8mb l3 cache imho. They resemble e6850's with hyperthreading bonus the way they are.

What do you mean. We aren't talking about i3's, were are talking about the i5 600 series. The i3's are a much better buy and very solid processors. The L3 cache size makes complete sense if you think about it. It comes out to the the same 2MB L3 cache per core that i7's have. I also don't see how it at all resembles an E6850. What it resembles is half an i7, with the memory controller on a separate die and a built in GPU.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts