Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guyss

So.. last week I was a happy owner of a bunch of AMD stuff and I kept getting random crashes with my windows, and I asked soooo many people and even got it to a PC store but nothing would stop my computer from getting the BSOD.

I just decided to trade in some gear and got a new Core i5 760, Asus P7P55D-E LX.

Here's where my sad life comes alive.

I mess up and slipped too much thermal paste onto the CPU. A bit.. JUST A BIT gets underneath and covers a small part of the bottom edge. It did cover a bit of the gold part.

It did not however touch the pins on the motherboard socket (I freakin hope not... I didn't see any and the technician at the store didn't see any either)

Anyway; he said that even though it touched the bottom of the processor, it should be fine since it was barely there. And he wiped it off with something; But ANOTHER technician there was freaking out talking about how someone else had ruined their processor by doing what I did.

So then I in turned freaked out...

But anyway, it was tested at the store and it loaded up and everything but the guy there told me to run

PRIME95 and MEM Test to make sure that the processor was actually working fine and that the thermal paste from before didn't hinder it's performance.

Is that good advice? How do I run those tests? And what score is expected so that I know whether to keep this CPU or not?

P.S. I'm running Windows 7 32bit. When I had my AMD, I had 4GB of ram and only 3.25 of it was used.

But for some reason with my Core i5 760, it says that now only 2GB is being used...

What the heck?? It's the same OS.

Can you guys see how sad I am right now? Literally.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
honestly, getting thermal paste on the bottom of the CPU, then wiping it off, will do nothing, unless you use conductive paste and leave a lot on there.

dont worry bro.

and also, 32-bit OS's only allow up to 4GB of RAM, including video RAM.

·
Banned
4,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jthoov View Post
P.S. I'm running Windows 7 32bit. When I had my AMD, I had 4GB of ram and only 3.25 of it was used.
You will need 64 bit to use all the ram since 32bit can't

·
Baller on a Budget
1,304 Posts
Doesn't matter what it scores, if it boots up it is fine. Try out both RAM sticks and make sure they are both inserted properly and are working. Maybe check the BIOS to make sure RAM is showing up right.

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
I can't hurt to run those tests.
There's no score to attain in Prime95 or Memtest. The score is either pass or fail. Both these programs are free downloads from their respective web sites which you will find easily through Google. Those programs test for stability, not so much for performance.

As for your memory issue, can you check that the BIOS detects all 4 GB or does it only detect 2? If only 2 GB are detected by the BIOS, that would explain why Windows 7 also sees only 2. And that may be related to one of the CPU's "pins" being damaged or something...

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Does it say 2GB usable out of 4GB? It could be that some of the pins are covered with the TIM and aren't making full contact with the CPU. Or that you are using too much pressure on the socket and need to loosen the CPU heatsink.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Turn off the computer, remove and re-seat both sticks of RAM. Turn on computer and hop into BIOS to see if they're detected (as mentioned by Agenthydra above). There's a chance that with all of the people's hands inside your case (dealing with the TIM problem) that someone bumped one of the sticks and it's not making proper contact.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts