Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to overclock my i5 760 for the better part of a week and have been having some weird issues. I narrowed it down to the CPU TM function. When I have it turned and run IBT after about 30 seconds the cpu multiplier drops down to x9. The cpu temp and core temps are below 65 degrees. Im not sure what to do at this point.

Any other questions please ask, Im thinking a new mobo may be needed.

Specs:
i5 760
P7P55 LX
H50 for cooling
GTX 660 OC
Ripjaw 2x2gb 1333 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231275

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Are you sure it's the CPU TM function? It could be the VRM's on your motherboard overheating and throttling your CPU, are you running any fans near the heatsinks on the top left part of the board? (If theres any).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its an antec 902 and I cant fit any more fans. There is one on the inside that is aimed at the left side and there is a huge 240 fan on top of the case

I just did some more testing with the CPU TM function. When its it turned off I get through about 1 maybe two passes until the cpu temp (not the cores) gets to around 50 degrees and the computer just powers off like you pulled the cable out.

When the CPU TM function is turned on about 30 seconds into the first pass on IBT the cpu multiplier will drop down to 9x for a few seconds, then jump back up to 21. This will happen over and over again.

I'm so confused at this point. My temps are all good. I cleaned all of the fans and the radiator. There are 7 fans all together.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone else have any ideas?

I tried resetting the CMOS, but it did not help the problem. It looks like it may be the board.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, its been a while had a lot going on. Well I resorted to running stock for a while. I decided to reformat my hdd and take off the hackintosh partition. I reset my mobo to defaults and turned off all the power saving features, turbo and what not. I searched up my motherboard around the net and found this seems to be a common issue. I decide to try leaving all the voltages on auto (I did set the DRAM voltage). Set the clock to 181 x 19. Now I'm running IBT at around 55 degrees and doing consistent passes around 98 seconds. I tried moving the multiplier up to 20 but it throttled down to x9 again.

I'm thinking this mobo is just a pain. Wish it wasn't such an old socket it still decent.

ALSO There is a fan that blows to the right of the VRMs so they should be getting adequate heating as well as the fan on the side panel blows in on that area as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I may have solved the issue. I am currently running a clock of 181 x21 at 3.8 GHz. Vcore drops and stays around 2.4v. I have ram down clocked to 543 MHz and the IMC voltage at 1.10.

I downloaded a program called ThrottleStop and when I ran it showed EIST still turned on and as well as another option to turn off BD PROCHOT. I unchecked them both.

Since I have started using this the multiplier has not dropped back down to x9 and I passed 10 runs of IBT on maximum.

EDIT: Also I reseated my H50 yesterday, It hadn't been touched since 2010 haha

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well if anyone was watching. I ended up getting stable a 3.80 181 x21 at 1.208 vcore on load. These boards are finnicky

1 - 10 of 10 Posts