Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Phenomenologist
Joined
·
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
topic... my only question is min fps avg now... because 8700k OC and 8600k OC lead the pack in most games according to techpowerup...

if the i5-8400 min fps is coming close to matching the non-OC on those chips... i may just save $90 and buy the i5-8400 over the 8600k.

thoughts?

http://www.pcgamer.com/intel-i5-8400-review-the-best-new-gaming-cpu-in-years/

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1356629-REG/intel_bx80684i58400_core_i5_8400_2_8_ghz.html $187 free ship no tax... just seems to make sense to me upgrading my 2500k to this... my Noctua NH-D14 on a 65 watt chip is literally going to laugh at it while keeping it cool super easy...
 

·
Lord of Cinder
Joined
·
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoliani View Post

Since it's locked and no hyper-threading, you will be much better of with a 8600 for future games.
Who's to say there won't be something that makes the 8600K look like a complete joke by the time that future arrives? The obsession with "futureproofing" is weird to me and rarely seems to work out. The 8400 performs incredibly well for the money (and indeed just in general, without the "for the money" qualifier) in the here and now. Sure, a couple of years from now it might be showing its age, but I'd wager so will any six core CPU with no Hyperthreading, meaning you'll end up buying that 8c16t 5GHz Zen 2 anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,783 Posts
I agree with this. Buy what you have a want or have a need for and that's it. By the time it no longer works better tech will be available. Next year we have Icelake coming. It is easier to spend 187 every few years than 300+.
 

·
Phenomenologist
Joined
·
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHeaven View Post

I agree with this. Buy what you have a want or have a need for and that's it. By the time it no longer works better tech will be available. Next year we have Icelake coming. It is easier to spend 187 every few years than 300+.
My thinking exactly. Since it can't overclock, I can save money on a motherboard too, just buy cheapest one there is basically. It literally matches the 8600k and 8700k in gaming across the board, min fps, avg fps, etc. Will be able to put the money saved into a 1080 ti.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aretak View Post

Who's to say there won't be something that makes the 8600K look like a complete joke by the time that future arrives? The obsession with "futureproofing" is weird to me and rarely seems to work out. The 8400 performs incredibly well for the money (and indeed just in general, without the "for the money" qualifier) in the here and now. Sure, a couple of years from now it might be showing its age, but I'd wager so will any six core CPU with no Hyperthreading, meaning you'll end up buying that 8c16t 5GHz Zen 2 anyway.
Well my 965 BE still can play new games even though it's 7 years old an a AMD CPU.

Still much better with an 8600, if you are not the ones that need to max out everything, and have to have the newest gadgeds, this CPU will be long lived. Upgrades costs, you would need a new MOBO and RAM.
 

·
Phenomenologist
Joined
·
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoliani View Post

Well my 965 BE still can play new games even though it's 7 years old an a AMD CPU.

Still much better with an 8600, if you are not the ones that need to max out everything, and have to have the newest gadgeds, this CPU will be long lived. Upgrades costs, you would need a new MOBO and RAM.
I am fine with the 8400 for now, if I get 8600k I have to drop another $100 on CPU and another $100 on a better mobo for overclocking/longevity, so $200 extra. which is basically the difference between a 1080 and 1080 ti. I'd rather have that ti
biggrin.gif
 

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
47,375 Posts
No point on i5 8400 considering its a 3.8GHz part. Only slightly faster than 4.0GHz 1600 but you have to get Z370 MB now. Its also 6C vs 6C/12T. If you can B-Clock OC then its a different story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

No point on i5 8400 considering its a 3.8GHz part.
It has 90% of the performance, and is much cheaper than the 8600K. That's the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Only slightly faster than 4.0GHz 1600 but you have to get Z370 MB now.
Still faster in gaming, and with the 1600 you'll have to get a AM4 MB. You'll have to get a new board no matter what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Its also 6C vs 6C/12T.
6C6T seems to bench the same as 6C12T in 99% of the games.

If you do a lot of rendering, sure get the R5-1600.
If you have the money and desperately want to overclock, sure get the 8600K.
But for gaming on a budget, this is the best choice right now in my opinion.
 

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
47,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigafloppy View Post

It has 90% of the performance, and is much cheaper than the 8600K. That's the point.
Still faster in gaming, and with the 1600 you'll have to get a AM4 MB. You'll have to get a new board no matter what.
6C6T seems to bench the same as 6C12T in 99% of the games.

If you do a lot of rendering, sure get the R5-1600.
If you have the money and desperately want to overclock, sure get the 8600K.
But for gaming on a budget, this is the best choice right now in my opinion.
Budget and Z370 lol. You can get 1600X with B350 and do not need to OC.
 

·
Gamer
Joined
·
3,600 Posts
The i5 8400 is easily the best price:performance ratio option currently for gaming.

EDIT: Doesn't the i5 8400 come with a heatsink too? When none of the others do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

Budget and Z370 lol. You can get 1600X with B350 and do not need to OC.
R1600X + B350 = €220 + €80 = €300
i5-8400 + Z370 = €185 + €115 = €300

They're both the same price, and the i5 is better for gaming. Ryzen is better at everything else, but the OP wants to build a gaming PC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
With the battle that Intel has been trying to fight with AMD as of late, I feel like you might want to hold off if you can. If what Intel is saying about a new 10nm chip to come in 2018 is legit then you might see a major jump again over Coffee Lake which will have some longevity to it. That said, its 100% personal preference if you want to upgrade now vs later.... I just feel for the sake of a jump in, in game performance and a new mobo which will more than likely only support Coffee Lake, cash might be better saved for the 2018 releases!
 

·
Overclocker
Joined
·
11,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

My thinking exactly. Since it can't overclock, I can save money on a motherboard too, just buy cheapest one there is basically. It literally matches the 8600k and 8700k in gaming across the board, min fps, avg fps, etc. Will be able to put the money saved into a 1080 ti.
You have to buy a more pricey OC board, there are no nonOC boards/chipsets for 8 series, if there will even be any. From 4 core going to 6 core... not a big change, would go with 8 core instead, wait for Zen update on a new node at higher clocks.

1600 is quite cheap. Don't compare to 1600X.
8 series has supply issues as well, can't buy it everywhere. It's a rushed place holder. Sure they are nice but they are something Intel should have launched instead of the Devil Canyon refresh and name it 5 series. Instead they stalled for another 4 launches with no improvement and even performance degradation in certain areas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

No point on i5 8400 considering its a 3.8GHz part. Only slightly faster than 4.0GHz 1600 but you have to get Z370 MB now. Its also 6C vs 6C/12T. If you can B-Clock OC then its a different story.
Clock speeds don't tell the story here, look at the benchmarks..

The i5-8400 outperforms the Ryzen 1600 in gaming benchmarks.
 

·
PC Evangelist
Joined
·
47,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascade View Post

Clock speeds don't tell the story here, look at the benchmarks..

The i5-8400 outperforms the Ryzen 1600 in gaming benchmarks.
Because 1600 is not OCed.
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top