Intel i5 7600K overclocked to 4.8Ghz
GTX 1080Ti 2000Core/5800Memory Overclock
16GB Corsair 8GBx2

Is this enough to max out all upcoming games in 2017-18? at 4K 60FPS

Is the i5 a bottleneck?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Current generation hardware does not really support stable 60fps 4k on a single 1080ti, I am waiting to see how Volta handles 4k resolution before I make any moves

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoWhirl View Post

Current generation hardware does not really support stable 60fps 4k on a single 1080ti, I am waiting to see how Volta handles 4k resolution before I make any moves
I purchased the 1080Ti because they said it was a true 4K card.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
1080ti will do 4k better than any single card around.

but depending on the game you might not get a stable 60FPS.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbyron View Post

Just leave AA off and you'll be fine
I run GTA5 with AA off, i couldnt tell the diff with it off and MSAAx2 or 4 or 8

Also the new Forza 7 Demo, i run it at max settings and AA at 8x, this game i can notice jaggies with AA off.

So it looks like i need to wait for the next GTX for true 4K 60fps.

so its codename Volta?

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leethal View Post

Seems like every next gen of gpu's will be the ones to kill ultra 4k 60 fps in every game. That gen of gpu never seems to come around.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Quote:

I run GTA5 with AA off, i couldnt tell the diff with it off and MSAAx2 or 4 or 8

Also the new Forza 7 Demo, i run it at max settings and AA at 8x, this game i can notice jaggies with AA off.

so its codename Volta?
Are you already using a 4k monitor or is that an upcoming purchase?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

Seems like every next gen of gpu's will be the ones to kill ultra 4k 60 fps in every game. That gen of gpu never seems to come around.
tongue.gif
Yeah it's a never ending chase it seems.

even worth getting rid of my 1080Ti next year?

also it there a way to compare what the consoles would be running in equivalent to PC settings.

As long as i can outperform the consoles i dont mind scaling back some settings from 100% maxed out

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,644 Posts
Quote:

I purchased the 1080Ti because they said it was a true 4K card.
Who?

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Quote:

Yeah it's a never ending chase it seems.

even worth getting rid of my 1080Ti next year?

also it there a way to compare what the consoles would be running in equivalent to PC settings.

As long as i can outperform the consoles i dont mind scaling back some settings from 100% maxed out
I personally go ti to ti and find I'm happy with the upgrade. I'm not running 4k though I've ran 4k in the past and found it way too demanding.

Usually consoles equal a mix of medium - high settings targeting 30 fps.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargeit View Post

I personally go ti to ti and find I'm happy with the upgrade. I'm not running 4k though I've ran 4k in the past and found it way too demanding.

Usually consoles equal a mix of medium - high settings targeting 30 fps.
I'm Thinking of using the 4K OLED for just the Consoles (ps4 pro, xbox one x and the switch) and moving my PC to a desk and monitor setup. 1440p seems the way to go correct?

Going from Ti to Ti also seems like a great idea.
thumb.gif

·
To The Game
7,674 Posts
Quote:

I'm Thinking of using the 4K OLED for just the Consoles (ps4 pro, xbox one x and the switch) and moving my PC to a desk and monitor setup. 1440p seems the way to go correct?

Going from Ti to Ti also seems like a great idea.
thumb.gif
For high end gpu's 1440p is basically like running 1080p on midranged gpu's (1060/1070). Only the most unoptimzed of games will have issues running high fps. Think Ultra Ubisoft games or janky survival games.

I run 3440x1440 and most games run very high fps at ultra settings. The games that won't run high fps at ultra settings will at high/very high.

·
Never Finished
2,321 Posts
1080Ti will be okay for 4K. It's currently the fastest gpu out there, so there isn't much choice right now. Just know that you will have to lower a couple settings if you want to keep a constant 60fps. However, I believe that 4K works best then you have a large >40" screen. If you're planning on sticking with the standard monitor sizes, then I believe 144Hz 1440p will be a better choice. What you lose in resolution will be gained in motion clarity, framerates, and responsiveness.

On the processor side of things, an overclocked 7600K is one of the best gaming processors, so if you come across a game that runs on one or two cores, and both of those cores are at 100%, then there's nothing you can really do about it unless you lower some settings. 5% IPC bumps from generation to generation won't be enough to fix those situations.

For me, Volta will be the architecture I'll stick with for more than one generation. Pascal is just a placeholder when it comes to 4K. 4K 120Hz+ will be out next year, and while big Volta won't be able to produce numbers twice that of a 1080Ti, it will allow for greatly improved minimum framerates in demanding games. Fast sync will introduce less stuttering due to the extra frame sample size, and input lag due to low framerates will be better due to the framerates being higher overall. If Volta is blessed with HDMI 2.1 and TV companies release OLED 120Hz 4K TVs next year (you'll need HDMI 2.1 for that type of panel), then that will be the ideal combo imo. That's what I'm waiting on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts