Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here!! I have a laptop which I want to upgrade from i5 to i7.

My Acer Aspire 5742 is in perfect condition with a 2.67GHz i5-480M with 5GB RAM and a 128GB Crucial SSD.

This is because my CPU can go upto 97% sometimes!! Even by just using chrome! i will be upgrading my RAM to the maximum capable which is 8GB but was wondering if you will be able to provide me with more information on how to add an i7 processor and change the fan?

Also what else can be done to this laptop?

Thanks for the help in advance!!

·
Old guy with a computer
508 Posts
There are plenty of places (youtube is one of them) that have full teardowns of that laptop so finding what you need should be easy. CPU looks socketed so its likely you can change it. Not sure you'll see any real benefit from it but who knows. Good luck and let us know how it works out! Include pics!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its just that my laptop already has a brand new SSD now and the boot up for Windows 8.1 pro is less than 10 seconds so I'm impressed!!! But was wondering if an i7 chip will stop my fan from turning on every 5 seconds and also to decrease the CPU percentage?

I'd also prefer to change the graphics card because it is currently running integrated Intel HD

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Posted in the wrong forum section and also, quad i7's from that generation are low clocked versions.
You might see the overall CPU usage go down, but in reality the threads that are being worked by the apps are at 100% usage and the app itself might run slower.
Also you should note that the i7's dump more heat so one thing you can be sure of is that the fan will work more often and theres a likely chance that the laptop won't be able to withstand the i7 at full speed causing a thermal shutdown.

·
Premium Member
6,821 Posts
Check out my thread. I did nearly the same thing.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1524056/upgrades-mods-for-dell-xps-l401x-xps-14-laptop

Your i5-480m is a Socket G1 PGA988 socket. You cannot upgrade to a generation newer than arrandale. Unfortunately, Sandy Bridge, Ivy, or Haswell isn't compatible. It's a huge bummer and I was disappointed when I started doing research for CPU upgrades.
I went from a i5-460m to i5-560m. It's quite a nice upgrade and only cost me $20. The coolest thing was that the chip actually used less power but gave better performance.
You might want to look into like an i7-640m. It's still dual core but its a little bit faster than the 480m. The only downside is that socket G1 quad cores are all 45nm and not 32nm.

Good luck. I had fun upgrading. I had no increase in temperatures. Probably due to a decrease in actual chip power consumption.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I currently have an i5-480M. Do you think its worth the hassle of upgrading to maybe an i5-560M? Or shall I just stick with what I have because to be honest, it's not all that a problem. It's only a problem to me if I can find an easy cheap chip upgrade that will give me significant performance! Also i'm looking for a chip with the same power so it'll save me from changing my fan and maybe won't fry my motherboard!!

Also I have 5GB RAM but only 128MB integrated graphics which kinds sucks!! Windows 8.1 Pro wont let me change the value in BIOS!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin93 View Post

Its just that my laptop already has a brand new SSD now and the boot up for Windows 8.1 pro is less than 10 seconds so I'm impressed!!! But was wondering if an i7 chip will stop my fan from turning on every 5 seconds and also to decrease the CPU percentage?

I'd also prefer to change the graphics card because it is currently running integrated Intel HD
Just FYI, I7 would "spin" your fan more, since it uses more power = more heat = MOAR RPM = ALOT SOUND

1 - 8 of 8 Posts