Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am considering doing folding for Prime95, and as I am new to folding and the possibility of damage it could cause to my system/processor with such work intensive loads, I wanted to have some opinions once again.

As stated in my signature, and in the thread title, I have my i7 2600K (with HT off) running at 4.9GHz with a voltage of 1.45v~ roughly, PLL is 1.55v, RAM is 1.50v~, rest defaults.

Here's the question, in your opinion (preferably from experienced SB users that is, and possibly SB folding members) would running my CPU at the above speed and voltage for 12-24 hours a day, seven days a week, be dangerous? (depending on when I'm at the computer and using it, as I go to University during the week and such, I'd rather not leave the system alone in the house whilst it's folding)

I have considered the possibility of degradation at such speed and voltage, but I've never experienced degradation before, how might it happen if it does?

Also, I have considered the possibility of throttling the processor performance using ThrottleStop while I have folding activities running (so essentially it disables Turbo and forces the CPU to run at 3.4GHz, whilst reducing the voltage to around 1.31v as well).

Let me know your views, and if this has been posted in the wrong place due to it being more of a folding query then please feel free to move it to the appropriate category. Thanks.

EDIT: Temperatures reach up to 73C by the way, under 4.9GHz at 1.45v~.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
No it is not dangerous because your temps are under controller. It will degrade the CPU but you probably won't notice a difference before upgrade anyways.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseg;15307023
No it is not dangerous because your temps are under controller. It will degrade the CPU but you probably won't notice a difference before upgrade anyways.
I see, thanks, and can you be a little more specific by 'before upgrade'? Are we talking months or possibly years? I know nobody can make a certain guestimate, but every opinion I find is useful.

Also I assume the degradation effect is just where the CPU suddenly requires a slight bit more voltage than it used to originally?

Thanks
smile.gif

+rep'd your post by the way

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The degradation would be estimated to be years and would only require more vcore. You can still go up to 1.5vcore. People have been folding with 2600k @ 1.5vcore 24/7 and I have yet to see a degradation post on the internet.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseg;15307134
The degradation would be estimated to be years and would only require more vcore. You can still go up to 1.5vcore. People have been folding with 2600k @ 1.5vcore 24/7 and I have yet to see a degradation post on the internet.
I see, thanks, that clears up that then. I think I'll stick to 1.45v at 4.9GHz though, temps are nice and I suspect 5.0GHz+ will require a considerable vcore jump.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixel;15306966
EDIT: Temperatures reach up to 73C by the way, under 4.9GHz at 1.45v~.
If you can keep those temperatures then you're golden. I've been folding @ 5.5ghz(1.46v) for quite some time now (78c hottest), so far haven't notice any degradation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixel;15307277
I see, thanks, that clears up that then. I think I'll stick to 1.45v at 4.9GHz though, temps are nice and I suspect 5.0GHz+ will require a considerable vcore jump.
What's you're current BCLK? 102.1 will bump you to 5ghz.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by _s3v3n_;15307418
If you can keep those temperatures then you're golden. I've been folding @ 5.5ghz(1.46v) for quite some time now (78c hottest), so far haven't notice any degradation.

What's you're current BCLK? 102.1 will bump you to 5ghz.
I see. Current BCLK is 100.0 exactly (CPU-Z reading), and is set in BIOS as 100.0 also. I'm not sure if I could really do what you're suggesting without increasing vcore still, or am I possibly wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat;15307517
You should be ok at that vcore and temps. If you want to fold you should consider turning HT on. It will increase you PPD by a lot.
I see, HT will probably require a higher vcore, nearing an area I don't want to go much further towards (1.50v), plus temperatures would probably be the high 80's at this voltage and speed, unless I slow things down a tad perhaps?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixel;15308160
I see. Current BCLK is 100.0 exactly (CPU-Z reading), and is set in BIOS as 100.0 also. I'm not sure if I could really do what you're suggesting without increasing vcore still, or am I possibly wrong?

I see, HT will probably require a higher vcore, nearing an area I don't want to go much further towards (1.50v), plus temperatures would probably be the high 80's at this voltage and speed, unless I slow things down a tad perhaps?
Try it without increasing the vcore(but you might have to bring it one notch up). Memory bandwidth will go up a bit, too, once you starts changing BCLK.

The decision is yours, bud. If you're happy with the way the rig is behaving then leave it stable at 4.9ghz than struggle to make 5ghz.

- there's no harm in trying -

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by _s3v3n_;15308268
Try it without increasing the vcore(but you might have to bring it one notch up). Memory bandwidth will go up a bit, too, once you starts changing BCLK.

The decision is yours, bud. If you're happy with the way the rig is behaving then leave it stable at 4.9ghz than struggle to make 5ghz.

- there's no harm in trying -
So far so good, 102.1MHz on the BCLK appears to be stable at the moment, which gives me around 5004MHz on the CPU.

I nudged vcore up one notch anyway as +0.005v is unlikely to make things much different worse for temperature or degradation. Prime95 blend test has reached a peak temperature of 77C, which I believe could be considered a reasonably controlled temperature, I assume 80's is when a person has to start to reconsider things.

I'm amazed that making a change to the BCLK instead of the multiplier doesn't require as much of an increased vcore, as I tried x50 once before and I gave up trying to find a stable vcore due to it reaching 1.47v~ and still not being fully stable.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would actually try to see if you can run any lower vcore. Mine is happily stable @ 1.406vcore for 4.8GHZ. I dont seem to need to jump up to the 1.44+ range until 5.0ghz. But thats just my 2 cents, maybe I'm lucky.

EDIT: This is also with HT on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkarin;15309703
I would actually try to see if you can run any lower vcore. Mine is happily stable @ 1.406vcore for 4.8GHZ. I dont seem to need to jump up to the 1.44+ range until 5.0ghz. But thats just my 2 cents, maybe I'm lucky.
Ok, will do that tomorrow when the new case arrives in the morning, I'm changing from my discontinued Antec model (something 300?) to the Corsair Graphite 600T White, mainly for space and cable management reasons. If my current setup is stable for this evening and overnight I will then try what you suggested, fingers crossed. I'll update on progress.

EDIT: Just saw your edit. I would switch HT on but the temperatures will probably go up by 10 degrees or so, unless I can reduce vcore enough to compensate, again this can be tried tomorrow.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat;15307517
You should be ok at that vcore and temps. If you want to fold you should consider turning HT on. It will increase you PPD by a lot.
This, if you have a 2600k, use HT for folding even if you have to lower the speed a little bit.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigitalSavior
View Post

This, if you have a 2600k, use HT for folding even if you have to lower the speed a little bit.

I crashed eventually at 5.0GHz with HT off, and 4.9GHz with decreasing the original vcore slightly, so I'm now running at 4.8GHz with a slightly more decreased vcore (1.432v~ currently) with HT on, temperature averaging at 73C, peaked at 77C at some point. I'll update again when I know more, perhaps vcore can be decreased a tad further.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I would hope so. Like I said, I may have gotten lucky with my chip. But load is 1.4006 -> 1.4010 @ 4.8ghz with HT on. I also Have CPU Internal PLL set to 1.55v and Internal PLL Overvoltage disabled. I would post screenshots but the bios hates my usb drives :X 5.0ghz is a huge step up for me. Seems like Load will need to be around 1.43xvcore.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akkarin
View Post

I would hope so. Like I said, I may have gotten lucky with my chip. But load is 1.4006 -> 1.4010 @ 4.8ghz with HT on. I also Have CPU Internal PLL set to 1.55v and Internal PLL Overvoltage disabled. I would post screenshots but the bios hates my usb drives :X 5.0ghz is a huge step up for me. Seems like Load will need to be around 1.43xvcore.

Another update. I was unable to bring the vcore voltage down -0.010v compared to my previous working vcore offset for 4.9GHz with HT off, I'm using the same voltage for that now with 4.8GHz with HT on, hopefully it'll remain stable so I can get the performance gains from having HT if I plan on participating in Prime95's GIMPS project on a regular basis.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedixJarf;15311468
Dont fold with HT off, your getting a huge ppd hit that way.
Yeah. I can't get 4.9GHz with HT on at 1.46v (not going higher) so I've currently gone down to 4.8GHz with HT on at 1.43v~, which is stable at the moment and has been since last night. I expect the vcore could be slightly lower than that but I'll continue at these settings for another day or two to be sure it's stable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts